Bowens still an option?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I want to start doing some more studio photography. I would probably buy the kit second hand but is Bowens still a good option even tho they were liquidated?

I'm looking for something that I can use on location as well. I know Bowens have a travel power pack that I have used before and I still have a softbox with the Bowens mount which is why i'm thinking of going for bowens. I've only had a quick look but they seem to be quite cheap now, presumably due to liquidation?

Bowens are not the only ones to use the Bowens S mount. Godox are increasingly popular due to their integrated radio systems and they use it as well, so the mount of your soft box is not too restricting. There may be adaptors available as well for putting between S mounts and other types.

Bowens were seriously overpriced, now that they've gone out of business they are less overpriced, but IMO still expensive for what they are, and their powerpack was old-fashioned and very limiting even when they first brought it out, many years ago.
Add into the mix the difficulty in getting repairs done, and my advice would be to go for another make that uses the S-fit accessory mount.

Bowens are not the only ones to use the Bowens S mount. Godox are increasingly popular due to their integrated radio systems and they use it as well, so the mount of your soft box is not too restricting. There may be adaptors available as well for putting between S mounts and other types.

Bowens were seriously overpriced, now that they've gone out of business they are less overpriced, but IMO still expensive for what they are, and their powerpack was old-fashioned and very limiting even when they first brought it out, many years ago.
Add into the mix the difficulty in getting repairs done, and my advice would be to go for another make that uses the S-fit accessory mount.

Thanks both for your input. You have both made good points so I'm going to do more research on Godox and other S-fits

Godox get rebadged as a lot of other brands.
One of the best aftercare equipment repair offers is through Lencarta and I have found them good for lighting.
I think Essential Photo and Bessel offer versions of the lights.
Bessel has very good customer service and I recommend them for additional softboxes as you get grids with them and they are well built.

I want to start doing some more studio photography. I would probably buy the kit second hand but is Bowens still a good option even tho they were liquidated?

It depends on what you want out of the equipment, as a basic light they're good but their most reliable lights are 20+ years old and their newer ones still suffer from a big mark up because the brand carried so much weight.

I'm looking for something that I can use on location as well. I know Bowens have a travel power pack that I have used before and I still have a softbox with the Bowens mount which is why i'm thinking of going for bowens. I've only had a quick look but they seem to be quite cheap now, presumably due to liquidation?

The travelpak is just a pretty case to house a small car battery, it allows you to run 1 or 2 compatible Bowens heads without modelling light, it does not compare well to something built for it from the ground up but if you do 90% in studio and 10% on location it made sense.

Look to the Godox AD200/AD360/AD600, might be overkill for your needs but they've been out long enough you can buy them used so there's a good range on the prices. Essential are doing the manual AD600 for £400 inc, that's a real bargain and it's probably all the light you'll need.

Back