Boxing, finally sorted last weekend's images (publish-style?) you decide

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
My previous thread had me thinking and Kipax and Matt confirmed, withtheir comments and that there is two types of boxing photos.
One type would be the publishing type, something that has to be "technical" as perfect as possible, composition, noise, not missing parts of bodies etc.. and then I guess you have the "thats a good shot" - and you cant even see the face, but you know from everything else about the body language of the boxers, that there is more to the image. I do try and be artistic with my photography, even at sporting events, just to try out portrait techniques (not for boxing, they are way to ugly lmao) or some focussing technique or trick. Unfortunately you dont have time to do a focus, recompose and shoot in boxing, its way to fast for that (except in between rounds) but I like to do things like focus from behind one boxer at his feet, with the opponent opposite and facing the camera.

One of my favourite punch shots of the evening, I've only got part of it in frame, but it looks "arty". In some sort of weird way - I dont want to get myself lost in just publishable images, I want to get lost "in the fight", get the publishable stuff but get the emotional captures (losers are not very good at losing, sometimes...) with mum giving her little boy (who is 6foot something) a loving hug. I dont want to forget about that part - there is so much more to boxing than bust lips and black eyes.

So i have created two threads for the fights from that evening. This one, I hope is something that might tick Kipax's boxes as far as the technical side and if not, I want to improve so dont hold back matey :)
The other thread, which I will create in a few minutes will be the one's Matt might prefer more and others who like a bit more blur.
Both sets - took on same camera with same settings of 500th of a sec. tbh, I'm going to keep shooting at that setting as I am getting a nice frozen subject and in some shots where the punches are lighting quick, Im getting just enough blur in the fists that I am happy with them. But any critique off anyone , please feel free. If someone thinks they are crap - tell me and tell me why so I can take your comments on board.

Thanks for reading my boring intro, just hope the images were worth your time reading ! :D

13534769075_459aab95f1_o_d.jpg

13534770575_a23036564d_o_d.jpg

13534769535_9e58c83154_o_d.jpg

13534872553_71f3dfcff7_o_d.jpg

5..this guy is going places. Amazing boxer. Both photos were taken consecutively - first the right hand on the button
13535367204_9d621ea0bb_o_d.jpg

6.. Then immediately the left on the button. Real quick.
13535150473_f12dc46d7a_o_d.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

some of these.. like the last three.. one and a half boxers .. not a big problem (i do it). if the winning boxer is the full one... BUT my question is.. is this happening because your using center spot to focus? which your really shouldnt be doing... just a question :)

BUT my question is.. is this happening because your using center spot to focus? which your really shouldnt be doing... just a question :)

This was my thought when looking at the set as well. I think every shot could be improved by shifting the framing to one side or the other, it does look like you've been on centre spot AF and just gone with it. Good timing on all of them, just let down somewhat by the compositions.

I have been using centre spot yes for af, i dont see how I can compose it any better with the amount of movement going on so crops have had to be done to get the rule of thirds working with a lot of them, should I use say, one of the far left or right spots and point that at my subjects? any tips, most appreciated :) cheers for the comments anyway guys

I have been using centre spot yes for af, i dont see how I can compose it any better with the amount of movement going on so crops have had to be done to get the rule of thirds working with a lot of them, should I use say, one of the far left or right spots and point that at my subjects? any tips, most appreciated :) cheers for the comments anyway guys

I ahve advised this a few times on all boxing thread... I set my camera up to use 9 points... that makes it easy to flick left and right so you can focus on an oncoming boxer or attacking... if you se center when subjects are left and right your always gonna cut one off unless using a really wide angle..

surprisingly crisp in my opinion. normally shots like this can be so murky.
My favourites are 1 and 2. because of the action captured, you could put those on a poster and they would sell tickets.
I quite like the intent in #4 also.
What draws my eye is dynamic motion captured, two upright boxers with fist and face connected, frozen in time don't appeal as much.
over all, I love the pics though

I'll have to stalk kipax and pick apart your advice posts. I might shoot boxing on the 5Dii and I really am not confident with the focusing.

Back