Boxing meet 20th November 2008.

Edit My Images
Yes
Ten from earlier. Back to the boxing. Another complete success for all concerned and some more nice stock work for my project. Photography wise, the light was odd. Once again over two or three frames the D3 outguns the mhz of lights which can lead to rather odd white balance performance. However, I shot in RAW to optimize processing and my options and when desaturated it becomes a moot point. Tried some PP in LR2 as well, just for a change.

As ever I tried some new things, slow shutter, second curtain synch and so on and yielded some reasonable results. Still once again the performance of Nikon fast primes gets to me and I await the new 50mm F1.4. It cannot come soon enough. Various ISO but mainly 4000 + or low to capture flash and movement.

3046428737_26cddb51e9.jpg

3046427159_462ea01fb2.jpg

3047260984_e8cc3b61fc.jpg

3047255210_60bfcd54d0.jpg

3046417673_ab44226b77.jpg

3047243796_27fd44556c.jpg

3047239156_74965b14eb.jpg

3046385681_147cd58e62.jpg

3046381271_967acc73f1.jpg

3046373493_fb258292ff.jpg

:) So, still waiting for Nikon to bring out the 50mm 1.4 for you...I think that was your wish the last time you posted some boxing. They obviously have not heard you request. :D

I like the third shot in your series, it's something a little different - but the bright light works for me!
Also the first image of the ref. with his fingers up... cool shot! And works well in B&W!

For the color shots, I am not sure of them, on my screen they seem to have a very yellow/orange cast to them and in the first one of them the arms seem a little blown out to me. But as said.. this could be just the way my screen is - so lets wait until more people see them and comment.

:) So, still waiting for Nikon to bring out the 50mm 1.4 for you...I think that was your wish the last time you posted some boxing. They obviously have not heard you request. :D

I like the third shot in your series, it's something a little different - but the bright light works for me!
Also the first image of the ref. with his fingers up... cool shot! And works well in B&W!

For the color shots, I am not sure of them, on my screen they seem to have a very yellow/orange cast to them and in the first one of them the arms seem a little blown out to me. But as said.. this could be just the way my screen is - so lets wait until more people see them and comment.

Yes, they are, the lighting was tricky. The way the arena was set up was odd and despite trying all exposure methods, the light hitting the walls behind the boxers was causing a cast, which you can see. I little blown here and there but not bothered as boxing is visceral and they get away with it. Client is pleased as ever, so job is a good 'un. On to the next one.

The 50mm is due in Dec so cant wait. If that is not up to much then I will be looking back at the Canon camp with green eyes and will consider a 1Ds and some L glass - lets wait and see.

The third shot it luck, it is my shutter open capturing another snappers flash who was firing a metz 58 on a Leica M8.

By the way, back to Premiership Rugby tonight - any tips for cold weather and keeping warm as I note you are from the tip of the world :)

Last edited:
Yes, they are, the lighting was tricky. The way the arena was set up was odd and despite trying all exposure methods, the light hitting the walls behind the boxers was causing a cast, which you can see. I little blown here and there but not bothered as boxing is visceral and they get away with it. Client is pleased as ever, so job is a good 'un. On to the next one.

The 50mm is due in Dec so cant wait. If that is not up to much then I will be looking back at the Canon camp with green eyes and will consider a 1Ds and some L glass - lets wait and see.

The third shot it luck, it is my shutter open capturing another snappers flash who was firing a metz 58 on a Leica M8.

By the way, back to Premiership Rugby tonight - any tips for cold weather and keeping warm as I note you are from the tip of the world :)

Good to know that it wasn't just my eyes or screen... I'll be doing some boxing next Friday. So these were nice to see and get some ideas from. And as always, when the client is happy - then you have one thing less to think about :)

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots after Nikon bring out the lens for you.. and then in Jan. smiling broadly when you return to Canon :LOL::D

Keeping warm tips.. hmm. Considering it is -13 degrees celsius here, yes maybe I have few tips :)
What I have for the winter sports like skiing and stuff is a pair of thin gloves and on top of them a water/wind proof fishing gloves. Which allow you to have few fingers exposed for the shutters and such. I did something at -18 last winter and kept my fingers reasonably warm.
Other than that.. I am sure you've done few cold evenings before, so you know the rest of the drill. But that gloves really worked much better than i had dreamed.. so that's my tip of the day! (y)

For me.. it's indoor sports all weekend long ! (lucky me!)

I was at the same boxing event as Pete last night and agree that the lighting conditions were very difficult. I also use a D3 and set my white balance manualy using a white sheet of paper. The images have in general not come out that bad, there are the odd few that are way off and show colour casts in the middle of the image but not at the sides!
I have never posted an image to this or any other forum so not sure how to post images. If some one could let me know how to do it I will post a few of mine up.

Just worked out how to post images!

Below are images taken with a D3 iso 3200-6400. white balance set manualy at start of event using white piece of paper.

DSC_9051.jpg

DSC_9084.jpg

DSC_9184.jpg

DSC_92741.jpg

DSC_9279.jpg

DSC_9397.jpg

DSC_9454.jpg

DSC_9532.jpg

DSC_9093.jpg

Good work Nick and you handled the white balance well.

I am just a lazy git when it comes to that, but I must do it more, it really helps as these pix show.

Great stuff Pete. But for the investment in Canon L lenses I would be mighty tempted to the Dark side. The D3 has served you well. #3 & #4 would be my faves, they make great studies.

Great stuff Pete. But for the investment in Canon L lenses I would be mighty tempted to the Dark side. The D3 has served you well. #3 & #4 would be my faves, they make great studies.

It is great camera and testament to its power was last nights Rugby. I was able to drop from 6400 ISO to 3200 and get stunning images at Gloucester as the light was superb.

Back