Boxing

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm photographing an amateur boxing event this evening and it's been a while since I've done one.
Last time I was using my 5D Mark IV with the 24-70mm 2.8L.

Since then I've migrated to mirrorless so I'll be using the Canon R3 with my R5 as backup body.
My question is around lenses really, I never really found much use for the 24-70 focal range so when I moved to RF lenses I didn't bother getting one.
So looking at my lenses that I will be putting in my bag for tonight:

RF 70-200mm f/2.8L
RF 50mm f/1.2L
RF 15-35mm f/2.8L

Now my gut tells me to put the 70-200mm on the R5 and use that to grab a few shots of the boxers walking to the ring and put the 50mm f/1.2L on the R3 for the actual boxing, that extra light of the 1.2 will definitely be a bonus, but I've never used it for any sports so I was wondering if anyone on here has.
Most of the amateur events I do I get a decent elevated position by one of the neutral corners, the ring normally backs on to a stage where the doctor, PA and a couple of officials are and they let me hover by the neutral corner which means I'm not at ground level ducking and bending trying to shoot through the ropes (my bad back won't allow me to do this) so I think 50mm should be okay.

I've tested it at home, took the dog on to a field and let him run wild and it wasn't a problem, the R3 focusses so quick it's like magic and the 50mm 1.2 didn't seem to struggle either.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it but I'd be interested in anyones thoughts. :)

Much will depend on the light but a 24-70 is ideal for the ring. A 70-200 good for walk to the ring. I've only shot boxing a few time though so no expert. Last time they had put some horrible LED lighting up which required the camera to be set onto flicker control and mechanical shutter but it did allow me to use the 24-70 which was much easier than the 35mm prime I had used when it was a dungeon

Lighting was absolutely awful last night, as I walked in they were fitting 1 strip light above the ring.
Anyway I used the R3 and the 50mm f/1.2L, there were 17 fights and I shot most at 1.2 and they have turned out well, especially considering the light, for the last few fights I upped the aperture to f2.
These 2 shots were f/1.2, 1/640, 50mm and ISO 2500.
All were taken using electronic shutter (which is so good on the R3) and the anti-flicker setting does an amazing job of counteracting the fluorescent lighting.

2022-05-12 19.41.32.jpg
2022-05-12 19.41.35.jpg

Back