Braces??

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just entered into my 70s and although I'm not in bad shape and certainly not overweight, for the last couple of years I seem to be inching my trousers up every few strides. I've worn elastic belts, leather belts and canvas belts but it makes no difference. On Monday I have the unfortunate job of carrying my brother in laws coffin so I've been out today and bought a new suit, so thought I might try a pair of braces for a change so looking for recommendations off any experts on here on what type to go for? Hopefully something of amazon at this late stage?

I have always used either the traditional button type if the legwear are built for them or more usually (ie every day) Perry Suspenders which need a good quality leather belt to hook onto and loops in suitable places on the trousers. Amazon sell them now so maybe they are getting more popular here. They are much more practical in use than any others. Eg:

I’ve tried all the various hooks and clips and all have been no good in use YMMV since they are widely sold.

The clip braces can slip off the waistband at inconvenient moments. I do use them as they work with all trousers but for my smart trousers I have sewn buttons inside the waistband at appropriate places and wear button braces.

I've worn braces for over 30 years, both buttoned & clip-on. As my shape has headed towards a more rotund profile I no longer use button braces as they tend to ruckle the waist band.
My preference is for the Decalen brand braces ... multiple styles & colours and with either 3 clip and 4 clip fasteners. They are also wide which adds to the comfort.
I have worn this brand for about 8 years now amd not had one slip off the waist band. They are available from Amazon

Btw if you do go down the button route, the buttons should be inside the waist band ... this was drummed into me by my late mother-in-law who was, by profession, gentlemen's tailor.

Last edited:
I've worn braces for over 30 years, both buttoned & clip-on. As my shape has headed towards a more rotund profile I no longer use button braces as they tend to ruckle the waist band.
My preference is for the Decalen brand braces ... multiple styles & colours and with either 3 clip and 4 clip fasteners. They are also wide which adds to the comfort.
I have worn this brand for about 8 years now amd not had one slip off the waist band. They are available from Amazon

Btw if you do go down the button route, the buttons should be inside the waist band ... this was drummed into me by my late mother-in-law who was, by profession, gentlemen's tailor.

+1 for Decalen. After some other brands didn't last very well (clips losing their grip and the elastic material degrading) I fairly recently bought a pair of Decalen 4-clip braces and have been very pleased with them. The clips are quite powerful and *might* damage trousers made of very fine fabric. They are just great with jeans, chinos and cords though.

Anthony

Back