Bracketing??

Name
Carlo
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning

i have read somewhere about bracketing for HDR photos, now i am very vague and just wondered if someone could clear it up for me.

From what i understood was that with bracketing i would be able to take one three shots of differenet exposures, to merge into a hdr photo.

does the camera take the two exposures automatically once i click my mid range exposure? where is the option set on the camera? i have a sony a300.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

True HDR requires 0,-2 and +2 ev ,the A300 can do +- 0.3 and +- 0.7 automatically and these are located on the drive select button,page 98 onward in manual,this will give a fairly limited HDR ,if you require the full +- 2.0 ev then you must alter shutter or aperture to alter the exposure and take 3 photos,usually requiring a tripod to keep the camera still.
Good choice of camera by the way ,I have the same
Dave
:D:D:D:D

True HDR requires 0,-2 and +2 ev ,the A300 can do +- 0.3 and +- 0.7 automatically and these are located on the drive select button,page 98 onward in manual,this will give a fairly limited HDR ,if you require the full +- 2.0 ev then you must alter shutter or aperture to alter the exposure and take 3 photos,usually requiring a tripod to keep the camera still.
Good choice of camera by the way ,I have the same
Dave

cheers, yeah it does the job for me

i will get the manual when i get home,

i have tried this before my just altering the aperture one step each time and took say five photos and tehn tried to create a hdr image but didnt come out too well

cheers

this is +- .7 done in photoshop

havent done a full +- 2.0 as I havent got a tripod yet,but its still very capable at +-0.7

Dave

I'm into heavy HDR and the answer to the question is it really depends...

The D80's and 90's etc do 3 bracket exposure up to +/- 2EV, anything less than 1EV is a waste of time.

If you are taking shots outdoors then +/- 2EV from the mean seen in a well taken histogram is probably OK. Indoors, +/- 2EV will not cut it, you would pretty much have to take a full range of shots from -5 to +5 EV

Example:

1) 9 shots taken from -5 EV to +5 EV
3714639996_dc1c994a1f.jpg

2) 3 shots taken from -2 EV to +2 EV
3519616987_11cfb02344.jpg

See the difference - in the second shot, the exposure difference was not enough to deal with the highlights from the windows and lowlight shadows in the room and as such, the two windows have blown out and are not processable. As in picture 1, there is not problems because the dynamic range was adequate from the 9 shots taken

Hope that helps :)

I'm into heavy HDR and the answer to the question is it really depends...

The D80's and 90's etc do 3 bracket exposure up to +/- 2EV, anything less than 1EV is a waste of time.

If you are taking shots outdoors then +/- 2EV from the mean seen in a well taken histogram is probably OK. Indoors, +/- 2EV will not cut it, you would pretty much have to take a full range of shots from -5 to +5 EV

Example:

1) 9 shots taken from -5 EV to +5 EV
3714639996_dc1c994a1f.jpg

2) 3 shots taken from -2 EV to +2 EV
3519616987_11cfb02344.jpg

See the difference - in the second shot, the exposure difference was not enough to deal with the highlights from the windows and lowlight shadows in the room and as such, the two windows have blown out and are not processable. As in picture 1, there is not problems because the dynamic range was adequate from the 9 shots taken

Hope that helps :)

Love that first photo :clap:

I like those. The first one looks like something out of Gears of War or something!

had a look in the manual but cant see any option for bracketing, anyone any suggestions where i could find it? thanks

I saw that first photo on your website, both in fact, but that first is particularly amazing.

I'm really interested in photographs of derelict/abandoned property/locations.

Which camera did you use for the 9 exposures?

Thanks, nice work. :)

P.S OP - try page 98/99?

I saw that first photo on your website, both in fact, but that first is particularly amazing.

Thanks, nice work. :)

P.S OP - try page 98/99?

cheers found it and bookmared will have a look at some point this week, thanks

Thanks for the comments - I've got a new update on the site > http://biSPAM/HPnqs

That one was taken on a Nikon D80 with tripod on manual exposure then processed in photoshop... Really important to get full dynamic range either side of a normally distributed histogram. My recent upgrade to a D300 has helped :)

^ shoot raw and save them out seperately after +/- adjustments

can't stand hdr imo

this is +- .7 done in photoshop

havent done a full +- 2.0 as I havent got a tripod yet,but its still very capable at +-0.7

Dave

Was that taken from the big green bridge (technical name) in Newcastle? If so I think I had lunch in the slug and lettuce in the foreground a week or so ago... :)

You can use as many images as you want when using HDR.

from 1 (fauxHDR) up to hundreds! all of different exposures.

But i use exposure bracketing when there is harsh light, and i don't have the time to check the histograms on the camera to make sure i have correct exposure. (Picking one from the three).

Back