Brain hurts - Canon G16 versus G1X (mk1)?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Can't see the wood for the trees here ...

I can buy a new G16 for £309. What if anything might I gain by spending another £110 to get a G1X, apart from the moveable screen?

Ah. That's pretty much what it looked like to me! I wonder what the real-world difference is reckoned to be ...

yeah I am sure someone with actual real use of both will be along.. sensor aside the G1x mk1 is a lot slower at the long end compared to the G16 and mk2, also the mk1 is a Digic processor behind.

I am not after out and out IQ in a compact which is why its a G16 or LX7 for me, I like the look of the starry night mode on the G16

If size is important the G1X is quite a bit less pocketable (as Andrew says). I upgraded rom a G12 to a G1X and have to say the limitations - especially the close-focussing - so restrictive I got rid of it. For general photography it does take great pictures.
I'm looking around myself - the G7X looks good but, being new, is quite a bit more than the G16.

Out of interest - where is the G16 for sale at £309? Don't forget, Canon have a £40 cashback at the moment (if you buy from an approved source). I Was looking yesterday and Amazon had it for £324 (so £284 with cashback), but it's slipped up to £334 today :(

Thanks for that. Me too :ty:

Got yours yet?
Yep, came at 10.00 this morning :banana:

Filled in the Cashback form and have already had an acknowledgement from Canon that I qualify and will get the £40 within 28 days. £244 all-in! Bargain. :ty:

How about you?

Last edited:
Yep, came at 10.00 this morning :banana:

Filled in the Cashback form and have already had an acknowledgement from Canon that I qualify and will get the £40 within 28 days. £244 all-in! Bargain. :ty:

How about you?

I knew I was busy yesterday and had no one to accept parcel so chose free delivery, tracking is saying its due today..

£244 is superb for brand new UK stock, had been looking at £240-£260 2nd hand so it was a no brainer. really hoping the starry night modes are as functional as the reviews suggest, its my main reason for going with the G16.

Last edited:
I knew I was busy yesterday and had no one to accept parcel so chose free delivery, tracking is saying its due today..

£244 is superb for brand new UK stock, had been looking at £240-£260 2nd hand so it was a no brainer. really hoping the starry night modes are as functional as the reviews suggest, its my main reason for going with the G16.

Opposite for me - I knew I was home yesterday, and at the time I was looking I had the "order in the next 30 minutes" banner flashing at me yelling "buy me, buy me" - so I did, and happy to pay the few quid for next day. Ridiculously well packed and included a Christmas Card :)

Haven't used it in anger yet - I downloaded the .pdf user guide last night so I'll put it onto the iPad and have a quiet read. I've had 4 G series down the years so I'm expecting most of it to be familiar. I'll miss the flip screen from the G12, but the trade-off is it's quite a bit slimmer.

As for starry-night mode, looking at the weather forecast, I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon. :(

Last edited:
ahh boo mine is faulty so no new toy for me to play with this weekend :(

the lcd is has some give in it, its not a touch or flippy screen so no cause to touch the screen but it is really noticable on the bottom left hand corner.. @WexPhotographic excellent on the phone and have emailed me a returns label.. still a little disappointed for the weekend though.. ne'er mind

Ah bu99er! Gutted for you - but probably shows the value of buying from a "proper" retailer with a good CS reputation.

And it's such a bargain price, it'll be worth the wait.

well that's it I give up, 2nd one(this time from Amazon) has same problem if not slightly worse so its going back, shame as it seemed ideal for a carry around in the jacket pocket camera but something is not right with a wobbly screen, its the first time I have known such a thing on a fixed screen.

back to the drawing board.

Strange that. I bought mine from Currys recently and thankfully it seems fine.

I would contact Canon to see what they have to say.

AL

Last edited:
Wow that's really weird (and unlucky). I've just re-checked mine and it feels rock-solid (though now covered in thumb-prints :( ).

Must admit I miss the ability to flip the screen "closed" for transport to protect it, so I think I'll invest a few ££ in a screen protector for my own peace of mind.

so potentially WEX and Amazon have stock from same batch, I am pretty gutted, going to be a humpy boy today methinks :( but they were definately not right, something really off, especially when you only lightly put pressure on the left bottom corner and you can see the top right corner move and vice versa, a bit like a see saw action.

Amazon have it on a Black Friday deal starting at 20:00 tonight (no price yet). But I guess you've lost confidence in them too. :(

What's the best deal now, anyone...the £244 doesn't seem to be still available?
Thanks, George.

It's still working .....

If you order through Wex, when you get to the checkout enter the Voucher Code PP15G16 it'll take £50 off the price - you must pay by PayPal.

Then you can claim £40 cashback from Canon - takes about a week.

Welcome :)

Just a heads up - to get the code to work you will first have to remove the free bag.

AL

Thanks, Al, yes I saw it was only one offer!!

All done, await arrival then will claim cashback.

We've had a G11 for yonks which my wife uses, and it's been through the wars!!...so this will be a nice upgrade for her!!...thanks folks!!

You'll find it a comfortable move from the G11 - I went from a G12 (via a brief affair with the G1X that did my head in), but all the G-series feel familiar.

I just hope you don't end up with a similar problem David had.

Back