Brecon Beacons: Aurora Borealis

Edit My Images
Yes
Saw the clear sky forecast and drove 30miles up to the Brecon Beacons and walked up towards Pen y Fan. At first I thought the mist was coming in but it was actually the aurora, I'm quite pleased with this shot as the long exposure has brought the colours out even more. Nobody else was up there so as far as I know I'm the only one with a shot like this.

It's a bit noisy as shot at iso 3200 f4 15sec but I'm happy with it :)

Aurora Borealis over the Brecon Beacons by GarethJohns, on Flickr

Works for me great colours

Super shot Gareth. I like the way you've combined the starlight, aurora, and foreground in one shot.
There looks to be light entering at bottom lhs. I would have cropped the picture more at the point on RHS where the rays start.
Your determination and patience to get a special shot have paid off here.

This was around 11:30, the colours started to die down after then. Thanks for all the comments.

Super photo Gareth - the colours are great!

What was it like to the naked eye?

p.s. small world - i know your sister in law, recognised the photo from when she shared it on social media :)

Super photo Gareth - the colours are great!

What was it like to the naked eye?

p.s. small world - i know your sister in law, recognised the photo from when she shared it on social media :)

You could just about see it and the bands of colour, the 15sec exposure brought out the colours though.

Which sister in law do you know?

That is superb! I'm a bit gutted I didn't head to Brecon that night considering Pen-y-Fan is only 40 minutes from me.

James

Thanks all, this is what it came out like for the customer who ordered it.

16297096674_319466b3b6_c.jpg

Back