Bridge camera capable of time lapse?

Name
Fraser
Edit My Images
Yes
Either built in or with attachment. ?

Just starting out and looking for a camera to take out on the hills, hence the Bridge supposed to SLR to save bulk.

Any advice/info appreciated.

Cheers.

Either built in or with attachment. ?

Just starting out and looking for a camera to take out on the hills, hence the Bridge supposed to SLR to save bulk.

Any advice/info appreciated.

Cheers.

Welcome to TP :)

What do you mean by time lapse? That usually means an intervalometer that you can set to take any number of pictures at any time interval. You can get them to plug into any camera with a remote release socket for about £20.

Or if you just mean a self-timer delay, so you can run round and get yourself in the picture, all cameras have that.

Depending on your planned budget, but the Pentax K30 (entry level DSLR) at £400 with £50 cashback until 15th January, has timelapse in-built.

Can't fathom for the life of me, why anyone would want a toy-like Lumix FZ200 (for example) and similar from the other brands, to use in such a fashion.
Coupled with the K30 having water resistance capability, so if it starts to lightly drizzle, you've less need to call a halt to proceedings.
Of course, you'd need to make sure you buy the kit with the WR lens rather than regular 18-55 AL II.

Just throwing that out there, since Argyll sees much the same weather as the rest of the British Isles!

Can't fathom for the life of me, why anyone would want a toy-like Lumix FZ200 (for example) and similar from the other brands, to use in such a fashion.

Erm... As said in the original post, "to save bulk." Probably weight as well. The exact reasons I bought a Fuji bridge for travel and walking - the whole kit and caboodle (camera, filters, spare cards, battery etc in its case) weighs less than my D700 with a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 on the front. Yes, ultimate quality might be slightly down on the results from the DSLR but at print sizes up to A3+, it's bloody hard to spot them. I don't think the HS30 has a built in intervalometer but I'm pretty sure my old Minolta DiMage 5 does.

IMO, the question is probably best asked in a decent camera shop (or possibly a Jessops if you gat a knowledgeable member of staff), where the staff should have a decent knowledge of current cameras and their features.

Depending on your planned budget, but the Pentax K30 (entry level DSLR) at £400 with £50 cashback until 15th January, has timelapse in-built.

Coupled with the K30 having water resistance capability, so if it starts to lightly drizzle, you've less need to call a halt to proceedings.
Of course, you'd need to make sure you buy the kit with the WR lens rather than regular 18-55 AL II.

Just throwing that out there, since Argyll sees much the same weather as the rest of the British Isles!

Assuming the FZ200 is as good if not better than the Panasonics I have, I see no reason why it wouldn't be upto the job, if it is capable of time lapse. Hardly much trouble to place a water proof cover or umbrella over the camera if necessary.
Just found it for £341 on the net too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Really want at save weight and bulk. If I'm on the hill for a day or two, less is more. Ha. With over night stops, the chance of some good time lapse (sunrise/set) could be possible, so it'd be rude to miss out. I realise I'm asking a lot from a cheap camera, but its something that suits my needs. I'll not be going into mass printing or trying to win any prizes with my pictures just something to take me beyond my iPhone 4S.

Dare I say it but I've been looking at a fujifilm, this or the 30 model that also shoots in raw. Not even sure if I need raw format, but from what I've read for editing pics, might be better?

http://http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/bridge/model/finepix-hs25exr/

Also from above posts I now know what I'm looking for, a ' release timer'. Even found one for the above camera. :)

I know it's a cheap n nasty set up, but if I damaged it on the hill I'd not cry so much. Plus this is my entry into photography and upgrades are always imminent no matter what you buy, it'll always be out of date soon. Ha. It also runs on AA batteries which a always carry for my gps, torch etc.

Still looking at other possibilities, there's so much to choose from, even more when I know nothing!!!

Thanks.

Thanks for the input. Really want at save weight and bulk. If I'm on the hill for a day or two, less is more. Ha. With over night stops, the chance of some good time lapse (sunrise/set) could be possible, so it'd be rude to miss out. I realise I'm asking a lot from a cheap camera, but its something that suits my needs. I'll not be going into mass printing or trying to win any prizes with my pictures just something to take me beyond my iPhone 4S.

Dare I say it but I've been looking at a fujifilm, this or the 30 model that also shoots in raw. Not even sure if I need raw format, but from what I've read for editing pics, might be better?

http://http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/bridge/model/finepix-hs25exr/

Also from above posts I now know what I'm looking for, a ' release timer'. Even found one for the above camera. :)

I know it's a cheap n nasty set up, but if I damaged it on the hill I'd not cry so much. Plus this is my entry into photography and upgrades are always imminent no matter what you buy, it'll always be out of date soon. Ha. It also runs on AA batteries which a always carry for my gps, torch etc.

Still looking at other possibilities, there's so much to choose from, even more when I know nothing!!!

Thanks.

Well i've decided to bite the bullet and order the HS30 from Fujifilm,with an 8gb card,that'll start me off. :)

Erm... As said in the original post, "to save bulk." Probably weight as well.

Having come from both an FZ10 and FZ50, I know about "bulk" and "weight" - precisely why the current is the bulkier and weightier X-S1 from Fuji.
I'm failing to get beyond the toy-like nature most of these cameras have been dumbed down to, especially when I think back at the proper engineering employed in the previous iterations.
And I don't think they're the better for it either - typical of this disposable throwaway society we've allowed ourselves to become.

Can't help wondering how an FZ200 will look and perform in 6 years time, like the pristine FZ50 was when I sold it recently.

Still, each to their own, but some compromises are too much of a false economy, no matter how pretty the bow wrapped 'round it.

Last edited:
I've had a Panasonic bridge camera for years. It takes decent photos and doesn't weigh too much. I've got an interval timer for it so could do timelapse or mess around with stop frame animation.

Buy lots of spare batteries as that will be a limiting factor as most bridge cameras generally only do 400 or so shots per charge. Dslrs tend to do more in 800 region.

If you want landscapes with large depths of field a small sensor can be an advantage.

redhed17 said:
Be aware that some Canon's may not have the correct firmware to work CHDK. My S95 doesn't. :(

Good point! The team there need a while to make the tools work with the latest firmwares - if you're buying a camera to do a job then you can check on the website if it's supported.

Back