Bridge Camera

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all

My wife wants a camera to take photographs of birds, she is not interested in photography as such but wants more reach than the point and shoot that she has got at the moment.

I have a Nikon 7200 and she says it too cumbersome and heavy.

Looking for recommendations on suitable camera for about £400 pounds give or take.

The only requirement she insist on is a viewfinder

Thanks in advance

I own (for sale elsewhere but that's not why Im responding) an FZ1000. I found it excellent for a whole manner of photography. I lent it to my son hoping he would get into the hobby but he didnt. I used it as my holiday camera and with the excellent lens and zoom range it was useful when we needed extra reach.

I highly recommend the FZ100 for this reason.

I am not a fan of bridge cameras, and many don't have an optical veiw-finder. The mega 'reach' of all in one lens is also often a double edged sword, they are too slow on aperture, and at long zoom settings, holding small, distance subject in the frame near impossible with lighter camera, held at arms length to compose on the screen. My O/H had exactly this problem with her Nikon bridge, especially trying to take photo's of birds in trees.

Borrowing my daughters D3100 SLR, she actually found its NOT all 'that'cumbersome, its a very compact body, and o harder to lug about than the bridge, that is certainly 'not' compact. Optical view-finder, helped her with (atrocious!) had holding... but.... given my 55-300 less to play with, back to her 'problem', with that much 'zoom' of actually finding and holding small birdlike subject in the frame....

There's no such thing as a free-lunch as they say... you pays your money and takes your chances..... A-N-D if she wants half decet photo's of bids, then, as so much n photography, she wont get it from the camera catalog, it is in the discipline and diligence of the pursuit, and for birds, so much in the bird-spotting skills, of patience, and stalking, and knowing where to look, that NO camera will do for any-one!

I would suggest, that if she wants to be able to just walk into a field, or see a bird out of the dining room window and have a camera that will 'just' get the picture she imagines, by point and press, you are both on a high-road to know-where.

I would, be tempted to put a D3x00 in her hands, as they are such a compact body camera, and tell her that IF she wants decent bird shots, she will have to carry it, and I would likely also lave her grumbling about the size of subject in her shots after, from a conservative, probably kit zoom, and poiting out that at least she HAS a subject in the frame!

As said, I have loaned my O/H the 55-300 or even the old M42 300 ad tele-converters for mega 'reach', and she has come back grumbling about the fact she got great shots of branches no-where near where the bird was, as she'd not been able to frame on it! also shown her how to 'crop' high resolution dig-files to get closer framing and more effectve 'zoom'.. for her to moan about the degree of pixilation when she has.... its a no-win situation! And bottom line is that ts a tricky subject, and f you don't put in the up-front effort you wont get pleasant results, like shooting people with a smart-phone at parties!

I really suspect, that you don't need to change her camera, you need to change her thinking, and expectations, and a bridge camera is likely not a good solution for much in this situation. The more compact D3x00 Nikons, may be worth while way to go not being 'so' inherently compromised, and still being very P&S friendly, BUT without the discipline to learn the trade, as said so much in the stalking and nature know-how before you even pick up a camera, its the know-how that is the key to eve moderate sucess.... you dot get owt for nowt.. and you only get not as much as you are prepared to put in, there's no such thing as a free-lunch!

Having done it, and supported woman's aspirations to 'get into' this photography lark, and take photos of wild-life and birds; I am very sangune about the matter, AND I really would't be all that keen to indulge that aspiration to half a grand sort of prce tag, JUST to get the grief that it STILL doesn't do what she wants it to, and be blamed for her 'failures' along the rote to the camera being chucked on top of a wardrobe, and blamed for being 'No-Help'.... Hey! There are shelves I haven't put up, I can be blamed for for much less money or effort!

Take a look at the nikon P900. I've not had one myself, but have read some reviews and seen some of the photos you can get from it. Take a look on Flickr at what people have done with theirs.

The P900 is a great bridge camera but with that amount of zoom it takes some getting used to,ignore the profits of doom if your wife wants a simple easy to use camera for birding a bridge camera is a good choice,she can do wide angle to tele with no extra lenses or lens changing.

A cheaper alternative at the moment thougfhis this one, not as much zoom as the P900 but still pleanty and its smaller and lighter.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camer...ix-fz72-bridge-camera-black-21660641-pdt.html
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camer...ix-fz72-bridge-camera-black-21660641-pdt.html
Just make sure what you get has an EVF finder

I've owned and used a couple of bridge cameras: Fuji HSX30 and Canon SX40, both earlier models. The zooms are wonderful for birding, but if shooting through glass the AF can fail completely sometimes and refuse to see anything beyond the window pane.

I'd consider the Canon SX60 and Lumix FZ72 in your position and for what you want to spend. An electronic viewfinder is not a bad thing for a non-photographer, because it will give them a much better idea of what the sensor will capture than an optical viewfinder. Just don't pixel-peep - the image quality seen in the flickr page mikew linked to is typical, where it looks great small but can't hold up when enlarged. You could also consider something like an M43 body + 40-150 zoom, which will weigh around the same as the bridge camera and give better results, although without the crazy-long reach.

Last edited:
The fz300 only has half the zoom reach of the 72 i think.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations
Looks like the Panasonic fz300 is going to be the most suitable, I think the 2.8 x 600mm is a better option than the 1200mm smaller aperture on the Nikons
The Panasonic compact range looks very good but the price is a bit more than she wanted to pay but she might see the much smaller size as worth the extra money

A Nikon 3xoo was suggested but when I asked her if she wanted mine before I traded it she wasn't interested

The next step is to go to a shop and get her to handle some of the camera's and see what she feels comfortable with.

I did suggest a Nikon d500 with a 600 mm f4 but I think that was wishful thinking on my part

lot of reports of dust in the TZ100
If their products are good I acknowledge them and now with the travel zooms like the TZ80 and TZ100 I actually don't recommend them anymore due to the dust issues on the sensor and inside the lens.
A local camera dealer confirmed that this was the number one reason people brought the camera back hoping for it to be cleaned under warranty (which sadly Panasonic no longer honour).
this from Graham Houghton,he loves the FZ series, he has an excellent Book etc on I think the FZ200 and 300,worth having a look on his website
PS
I had the FZ1000,i thought it was a great camera and only sold to go back to a Nikon d3300 but it was very versatile
with a great range, yet I believe graham Houghton favours the FZ300 series

Last edited:
The only thing i will add is do some serious in store checking with image size over say 30-40 ft, the lens is not a 600mm its a 108mm giving a FOV of a 600mm.When you take into consideration the restricted crop ability in PP any thing but a perfect distance will fall short, small birds will be the same size on your sensor as they would be with a 108mm on full frame.
Having used the Panasonic fz72 Nikon P610 and the Nikon P900 IMO you need the longest lens you can get or with normal walking/stalking bird photography the images will be too small, you would need to spend time getting close to the subject and waiting, if your wife is ok with this then it may work.

Smaller maximum apertures are not the problem you may think with these cameras, they have great jpeg engines and stabilization, some even have bird watching mode where you put the lens on full zoom then press a button which makes the lens zoom back, locate the subject in the center of the view finder release the button and the lens zoom back to full.

Last edited:
Bridges are just about OK for birds that are on the ground/twigs but pretty cr@p for BiF. While the reach of the P900 is impressive, the IQ it delivers at the long end is rather less so. Not a replacement for an SLR and a range of lenses but a LOT more convenient (if you can accept the lower IQ).

Back