Bridge cameras - worth it?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm looking around for a Christmas present ;) and want to treat myself to a pro cam. My budget would be £300, give or take.

I currently use a Nikon D100 at my workplace (I'm a graphic designer, not a photographer though...) and can get nice pics out of it for our requirements. Studio photography, a few Elinchrom lights, pretty basic shots as the product/angle/environment doesn't change that much.

I would like a camera for hobbyist use, and nice holiday pics. I'm getting to grips with the D100 in manual mode and learning slowly about apertures, shutter speeds, lighting etc, but I feel I couldn't do a full-blown DSLR justice. I currently use a vintage Pentax for holiday shots, but is quite expensive for developing and printing when you are experimenting!

I've been looking at bridge cameras as a halfway house while I still learn the basics. What are people's thoughts on these?

I used a few bridge cameras when i moved from film, mainly Fuji's and was very pleased with the results,especially the later models.I am sure others will be along later to give advise.
I have now moved to DSLR

The problem with a bridge camera is once you have learnt a bit more about photography and want to progress further there is nowhere to go with your bridge. If you get a basic DSLR then you can upgrade the body and keep the lenses or upgrade the lenses and keep the body and work your way up to having better kit bit by bit.

Bridge cameras can do a good job but they are limiting.

Bridge cameras are good, but IMO if you are getting used to a D100 then picking up a bridge camera will probably feel like a step backwards for you.

If you are willing to buy used I expect you could get a DSLR and kit lens for your budget

Most will say damn the things, get a DSLR but I think they have their uses. There are things they cannot do well or at all, for example long exposures (15 sec plus), high iso, narrow depth of field etc. A DSLR will outstrip a bridge camera on image quality in nearly all circumstances, but unless you've really pushed the bridge to its limits you probably won't see a major difference in a 7x5 print. If what you want is a good all-rounder with telephoto, (reasonably) wide angle and macro that's light and doesn't fill an entire backpack or cost upwards of £500 then I'd say go with a bridge camera. Performance varies of course, as does ease of use. Some can be accessorised with filters, external flashes while some cannot. Some have easy to access manual settings while some are buried deep in the menus somewhere. I used a fuji s7000 for a while and I thought it was a great little thing. Built to operate like a DSLR, easy to use, I could add filters when i wanted. No pesky lens changes either.

Thanks guys, a helpful insight.

Richard
The Nikon is fun to use, but frustrating when I can't figure why the shot looks pants (due to my ignorance in some areas of photography).

The Matt
Yeah I guess it will be a 'do everything' camera, <£500, portable, compact and a good all-rounder. I will want to use filters and obviously experiment with manual settings. I like to try new things and I'm worried it will be limiting and won't have the breadth of setting the D100 does...

I'll keep looking at bridges for now; apart from Fuji, what other manufacturers should I be looking out for?

I only have a bridging camera, and Ive learnt a lot from it, aswell as getting some (in my opinion) fantastic photographs, but Ive had a few situations where I really have been limited. but then I look at it that I havent got a wod of cash to go spending on a range of lenses and a body.

So for now, it does its job and is small enough to chuck in the bottom of a bag when you are out and about!

Some of my photos are in my flickr account which should have a link in my sig.

Thats using a Panasonic Lumix FZ18 and its not the newest model either.

Another vote for the bridge camera's here... although after a year of owning my Panasonic FZ8 (even older than the FZ18) I have just got myself a Nikon D60 :D

BUT - I pretty much knew this would happen and was happy with the idea that I would be upgrading. I got my FZ8 as a cheap and versatile way of learning a bit more about manual controls and seeing what type of photography I enjoyed... or if I enjoyed it at all... before spending a big wodge of cash... and this is where my caveat comes in:

I wouldn't spend £300+ on just a Bridge camera. My FZ8 cost about £150 + a couple of Raynox lenses at about £50. For that I got a very versatile and capable bit of kit. I can also still use the Raynox on my new camera. Compare that to my current spend of £390 for a new D60 + Kit lens, £70 for the bag, £160 for a second hand 55-200 zoom... and I havn't even started with the spare batteries / tripod etc yet.... oh and I'd like the £400 nikkor 70-300mm VR... I think you see where I'm going with this.

If you are going to spend £300 on just the bridge camera and you already know the kind of photography you are into I'd be inclined to look at a second hand DSLR instead and build up your kit slowly.

I started with a Nikon D80 and used it for around 2 years, increased my lens collection - decided to go up to a D300 and really enjoyed the camera. Nikon increased their prices and I suddenly realised just how much I had invested in camera gear - over £2000 - I also realised just how infrequently I used it.

I flogged the lot and got a Canon bridge camera. If I pixel peep I get depressed until I remember the money I recovered and remind myself that I have a hobby that is now easily affordable and have promised myself that, if I want to, I will just go and buy the latest and greatest that I want. To date, that need has not arisen.

I ended up with a camera that fits in a large pocket, rather than lugging a rucksack full of lenses and tripods etc.

Whilst I know that at some stage I WILL buy another DSLR - and I still enjoy lurking around here - my current set up is right.

Think through your purchase before you buy and enjoy what you have. The quality of my photos have not decreased significantly since I sold up.

Chris

I have switched from a 1dmk2 + lots of heavy lenses to a Fuji S100fs and love it! my ever ready camera! no switching lenses and missing shots.

Back