Bridge, MFT, achromats, dSLR, primes - a journey of exploration

It was seven years ago when I started this thread. I never imagined it would be this long-lived. It has been great to have somewhere I could write down and discuss how things were going, what I was discovering, the problems I was encountering, the various alternatives I tried. Writing it down has helped me sort my ideas out, helped along greatly by the questions and comments and learning about other people's approaches.

It may be time for a bit of a change. This thread has been a bit like a blog for me. Some years ago I created a proper blog but it faltered after just a handful of posts. In early 2019 I revived it, deleting what little was in there and turning it instead into a bit of a retrospective, summarising my photographic journey since 2007. I was motivated to do this because in 2018 I had been diagnosed with mesothelioma, a very aggressive, incurable cancer associated with exposure to asbestos, which unfortunately kills almost everyone who gets it within 12-18 months of diagnosis. Fortunately for me, and much to the puzzlement of a couple of professors who got involved and who can't agree on what happened, without any treatment the symptoms receded and eventually disappeared, and I now seem to be fine.

That "not really a blog" is here if you are interested. Since the initial flurry of posts in early 2019 I have updated it with just four posts, late last year and in January this year. It is not a place for detail or frequent updates.

For some reason I decided a month ago to have another go at doing a blog. I'm not sure what the underlying reasons were, but the occasion for it was that I got a bit irked about some complaints (on another site) about the excessive length of what I wrote, and how I was taking over other people's threads by writing so much and posting so many images. It was only one person saying this, but I've know for years that my stuff is much, much more lengthy than many people have time for, and I think it struck a nerve. In a huff I decided to create something where I could write just want I wanted, write as long as I wanted, about whatever I happened to be thinking about that day. It might well be formless, impenetrable and not worth reading, but it would be mine, I would be setting the rules. And I really didn't care if anyone read it or not. Harrumph!

Turns out that I'm grateful I got those criticisms. It's only a month, but I can't help feeling this new blog (here) may work, at least for me even if not for anyone else. If it does, then it may cover a lot of what might otherwise have found its way into this thread. The journey is definitely ongoing, with new discoveries and experiments, so nothing has changed from that point of view. As to how my lengthy writings get distributed between there and here I don't know. We'll have to see how it pans out.

In the meantime I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread over the years and helped me better to enjoy, understand and develop my photography of small subjects.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Back