Bristol Rovers vs. Scunthorpe.

Edit My Images
Yes
So, a two newspaper wireless job tonight.

To enlighten the new sports photographers out there looking to do this, I was shooting live with images being FTP'd to a picture desk. I was on a twin deadline. First batch of images with all data written in by 10.15 so half time was ideal. The first paper is due out in the South West Saturday am.

The second deadline was 11.15pm as this was Bristol Evening paper which actually hits the shelf AM and has three incarnations during the day. So, speed the essence of the evening here. All shot on a D3 @ 6400 ISO with a 300mm F/2.8 lens which netted average shutter speeds due to poor light. However, work with what you have. Though I did have one card slot capturing JPEG, the other RAW in case of emergencies such is the D3's ability.

Overall, job done but entirely frustrating in that you have a camera as capable as the D3 and you have to drop you res and file sizes soooo much just so they can be sent on the UK's sloooowwww wireless service. Talking about editing these images down to under 1mb as they would simply take forever to send. To some it is a moot point as 72 dpi (newspaper print) renders it irrelivant but I would rather see these standing up as best they can.

Funny thing about shooting FA Football is the foibles involved - for example very few newspapers want take stock/individual images for print as this is classed as an icon image and the FA suggest that it costs revenue as fans cut them out of the paper. However, papers and clubs can ask for stock of certain players which they can reuse and never pay you for. It is a funny old game to paraphrase a once famous pundit.

Anyway, another shift in the bank and pennies towards a holiday - or a Canon 5D Mark II......????

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-1.jpg

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-7.jpg

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-14.jpg

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-13.jpg

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-12.jpg

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-6.jpg

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-8.jpg

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-11.jpg

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-16.jpg

BristolRoversvsScunthorpe-League-2.jpg

Last edited:
hmm I did Tranmere on thursday night and I thought the lighting was exceptional.. iso 3200 and 400 shutter... You going iso 6400.. I havent been brave enough to do a whole match at 6400 (just 10 mins here and there) and certainly not one for the papers.. just now uploaded these.. brilliant light and colours. http://matchpics.fotopic.net/c1611416.html

Sent 8 pics in last night...... dpi 160 and 1600 pixels at longest... saved as jpg 10 ... all around half a meg... using 3 dongle they went pretty quick...

Picked up paper this morning and they coverd half a page with one flying tackle... On the one hand great big pic but on the other..seems such a waste.. What they will do now is everytime that game is mentioned (it was an fa cup exit) they will use another of those pics

Doing an fa cup youth game monday night.. might take a big deep breath and do it all iso 6400 and see what happens:)

Hey DG... cracking set of shots there, especially at ISO6400 - the D3 is exceptional I have to say.

However, I am curious as to what "I was shooting live with images being FTP'd to a picture desk" actually means...? Can you enlighten the curious please...? What exactly does this mean?

There is a wireless unit that can be bought to fit your camera, John and they get transferred by FTP.. .like if you were transferrring photos from your pc up to your website for instance,... but they went straight to the photos desk at the newspaper. No pressure then!!! :D

And that was just ONE paper!!

Lovely work Pete, as always, so so clear. (y)

Thanks for the explanation there Janice... I never knew this could be done - my gosh, as you point out, what enormous pressure that must be and makes these shots even better in my opinion.

Lovely set pete. Kind regards Graham.

Great set as per usual. The colours to me are really vivid, how do you do that.PP or in camera? Especially like No.8 head to shin/foot, great timing. Ok not the sharpest but still a great shot worthy of any sports page.
I dont think i'm qualified to comment on the technical aspects of the shots, but i know what i like, and i like these.
It would be a pity if you gave up team sport photography and we never saw your pics on here again, you've got an eye for a shot.

This is why I sit towards the dugouts.. Got the goal then got the player whos attention is to the dugout.. Three goals today and three full sets of celebrations because they all went towards thue dugouts.. Taken this afternoon

point.jpg

KIPAX is forever telling us that league photos aren't allowed to be posted on t'internet or am I missing something?

That was my impression too. Oh well, I wont tell if you wont. Good work fellas, Kippax, We may well meet soon, I shoot occasionally for Chester City FC. Im looking forward to the Accy away game but not til april, Great documentry on TV recently.

its not my place to tell anyone anything... Your not allowed to post league pics and I do give that reason for not posting mine on here.. but Diego is well aware and knows what he is doing.. he may have the appropriate licence for publishing on the web or he may not care.. each to his own :)

we had all this on POTN .. it got to the point that as soon as we posted them someone was grassing us up and we where being told by dataco to remove ..

asterix.. i look forward to it.. been to chester each time we played them.. cant see why you would look forward to coming to ours... worse ground in league...seriously. :)

really nice set again Pete (y) I wonder where the advancements in technology are going to stop to be honest, ISO6400 on the D3 looks even better than the MkIII which is no slouch itself :)

I disagree with the iso 6400 comment..the mkIII will produce as good IMHO :) maybe not as consistant but as good.

Very impressive set.
Tried a few shots at my local amateurs match and was really disappointed with my results.
Hopefully I can take a step or two closer to this standard next visit.

3036057688_788251464a.jpg

3036071706_91995b7061.jpg

So, scored my first back pages (2) in a while. Nice getting up and going to the paper shop to see you work.

Of course there are many people to thank starting with the delivery guy from Pizza hot (yes HOT not Hut), the guy who answers the phone at the Indian takeaway, Tony Montana, Axe Guitars, Gillette razors, sick boy and of course Elvis Presley who made the impossible possible. You are always on my mind Elvis. Oh and Simon G too.

Last edited:
Good one Pete! where's the daily press cerculated?

Nice work there although the Rovers pic is much better suited to the back page, the other is quite mundane.

surprised me. i thought ya made back page yonks ago with the quality of your work...

Scarface is a top film BTW :)

Good clean series of shots-all the energy/action captured exceptionally well.

Impressed at the noise levels (or lack of) at 6400, only noticeable in the 9th image-even then it doesn't intrude.

Ta,

Re the licence thing.

I am aware that there can be issues with some images, especially prem but I like to contribute to the forum. How can other fledgling sports snappers aspire if they only ever see parks football.

Perhaps the sensible thing would be not to post em.

Pete.

Nooooo, Who likes sensible? lol

Carry on Pete, Until your told otherwise by those that issue the license, Your work is fab. Good work mate

Perhaps the sensible thing would be not to post em.

Your call... I posted one in this thread then panicked.. But then I seem to get grassed on quite a lot. I cant scratch by backside without dataco or the FA asking me whats what..... I must be doing summat right :)

whats the craic on Reserves football, or the women that you take Kipax. Do you need to be licensed to take or just to show?

Kipax, That is a funny scenario about dataco knowing when you scratch ya ass, lol

No licence system in womens game and I dont do reserves... well other than my own team and i can show accy stanley agmes at any level on the accy stanley website :)

Back