Bristol Rugby vs. Bayonne - Return game.

Edit My Images
Yes
Images as requested. Thanks to all the folk who PM'd me asking me to post. Just seemed odd that my work attracts less and less feedback despite the fact that I am always open to comments and chat.

Anyway, as ever, shot in manual, customer white balance, ISO 1600, 1/320 - 1/400 @ 2.8 300mm. Used my new workflow last night which is now all based in Canon software with image tagging, metadata entry and labelling all done in CS2 via Bridge. Web resizes also, using bicubic image resizing.

I am far happier with these as CS2 was hindering the colour casts that night games can create and I think I came away with 300 odd keepers from 400 odd frames.

Special thanks to Mh001 with whome I had a few chats with this week via PM and telephone - helping me refine and speed up my workflow.

Finally, despite wanting to, I refrained from noiseware for the obvious reasons. I still long to shoot in decent light and am covering a game in Manchester on 1/1/2007 so may get to go over 1/500 - wow, can wait !!!!

Thanks for looking.

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0023.jpg

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0067.jpg

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0074.jpg

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0138.jpg

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0141.jpg

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0233.jpg

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0244.jpg

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0341.jpg

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0371.jpg

UNi_PT_BRISvBAYONNE12152006_0394.jpg

i love theses, great shots, number five is the double of a good m8 of mine, i'll have to show him this, keep them coming and thanks for sharing.

Maybe you should post a few bad shots if you want more feedback :)

I feel like typing 'these are great!' but I said that last time - which is probably the reason for less comments. So I don't have anything original to say... but I still enjoy looking through them :)

These shots are even more impressive given the poor lighting.

Agree with Robert that your posts are always technically of a high standard so perhaps we just feel we can't add anything by commenting. Apologies if this appears less supportive of your work, which I have always been impressed by.

Interested in the digital workflow you refer to. Just trying to get mine a bit more organised.

And finally great shots m8! (y)

Very good photos, as always you have captured the action very well.

Thanks. So it seems that I post good stuff, hence to lack of comment. Thats fair enough I suppose. I just hope people realise that I do not post to look or sound bombastic.

Thanks again for input.

Pete.

As ever a good set, you always seem to capture the energy and power in the game.

Pete

Very, very nice and 1600 iso, your certainly getting the most out of that 1dmk2n and the sigma 300 2.8.

Glad I could help a little with the workflow.

Keep the shots coming always good to see nicely taken shots in not perfect conditions.

Mark

I love your photos of the rugby, but they are so good, there's nothing I can say really. As a complete novice, I am just in awe of what you do, often in awful conditions, which would make lesser mortals just give up. Don't stop posting, please!

As always Pete, these are top notch pictures taken in challenging conditions. Don't stop posting as I always enjoy seeing them.

I think the lack of comments is largely due to the high standard and the quality seems to get a little higher with each post (y)

Perhaps it's worth you posting a few you weren't happy with along with some comments as to why - could be a good lesson for the rest of us?

What lack of comments? ;) :LOL:

I do agree with what everyone’s saying, its hard to say more than 'excellent set as usual Pete (y) ...which seems a bit repetitive sometimes, especially if you've got loads of threads to go through...and only a small amount of words in ones vocabulary. lol.

...I agree with pxl8 as well, their does seem to be a slight improvement each time; I'm not sure if that’s your new workflow or camera technique this time though.

Great set, always a pleasure to look through, and a reminder of how well it can be done.

Another great set, I'd be interested in hearing how you have streamlined your workflow too.

Re - the streamlined workflow.

Well, I now download to a folder then open bridge and rename of all the files in one hit, though they are labelled in the camera they have a basic/generic name, data, time, exif and so on in shot order.

I then look at the images in Zoom browser and select my edits which I now start in the Canon software as I have found the canon software to be more accurate when shifting colour casts etc. I also like the scree in zoom browser that tells you where the focus was on the shot. I much prefer USM in the canon software as well.

Once I have a 'sort 1' folder within the original file, which have the aforementioned exif/metadata in place, using the left hand box on bridge I then entitle indvidual images with something like 'Fred Blogs shows good hands'.

In sport, papers usually ask for the person who is featured in the shots name to come first.

Thats basically it, faster, more effective.

I then return to the follow some 24 - 48 hours later and do a second sort as there is usually stuff that has slipped through the net.

However, this entire process is evolving all the time and thanks to MH001 for his continual help with this. :)

Shooting sport live is strange - some people turn up shoot for 30 mins, gun it and retreat to the press room to sort, upload and go. I prefer to shoot for whats required and then sort asap post match, hence the speed of the essence - though effectively. Half time is always an option, hence me asking loads of questions about the fastest download method aside from ftp/wireless.

mh001 and I are discussing a meet next year and it may be an idea to arrange a PP weekend, rather than a whole load of shooting?

Any thoughts folks?

I was thinking I could bring my PC and if someone brought a PJ we could hire somewhere.....we are all here to learn and help others.

Thanks,

Pete.

Re - the streamlined workflow.

mho01 and I are discussing a meet next year and it may be an idea to arrange a PP weekend, rather than a whole load of shooting?

Any thoughts folks?

I was thinking I could bring my PC and if someone brought a PJ we could hire somewhere.....we are all here to learn and help others.

Thanks,

Pete.

I have been thinking about doing this for a while now. I'm still working on the format and the paperwork so their is some sort of small booklett type thing to take away.

I have been told you can hire a conference room on the motorway services for about £80 which has a projector etc there. We can always split the cost between us.

I can take my mac and display.

I will talk to Diego and let you know when we have something sorted.

I love your photos of the rugby, but they are so good, there's nothing I can say really. As a complete novice, I am just in awe of what you do, often in awful conditions, which would make lesser mortals just give up. Don't stop posting, please!

Here here! :D

Yet again a great post (does that sound repetitive ;) ) - seriously though another good set, you capture the sport very well, both from a topical angle and a photojournalist perspective, and all emotions are present to (y)

Im not even going to try and pic a choice shot :)

Well done and thanks for sharing :clap:

Allow me to add mine (a little late to the party!): Fantastic as ever!!! always a pleasure to view your shots! Never tried sport but this inspire me to have ago! Thanks

Back