British GT | Oulton Park 2024

ACX

Name
Aaron
Edit My Images
No
Evening All,

First post sharing some photos here, I've been photographing since 2018 using a Panasonic Lumix Fz72 but upgraded in 2021 to a 90D and have been attending the GT every year since. Below is a few shots I took on the Saturday (Qualifying day) as it was forecasted (accurately) that race day would be wet. I prefer qualifying as it's quieter so I can move about and get different angles across the day.

Ramblings
This was the first time using a Monopod and filters with my Tamron 70-200 2.8, someone from work lent me some Cokin drop-in filters before I invested in some screw-on filters as 77mm filters are quite pricey. On hindsight, drop in filters probably aren't the best idea for pixel peepers like me, I assume the air gap between the various surfaces created a fair bit of diffraction, but allowed me to stop down the exposure enough to get 1/100 shutter speed at 2.8 for some video shots. I removed the ND filter once I realised the quality of the photos weren't great, but I can see from later editing that the CPL still created a fair bit of diffraction. You live and learn!

My success rate this time round was a lot higher, the monopod definitely helped and I was brave enough to start dropping the shutter speed to 1/80, 1/60 and even 1/40 to get some more fluid pans. What helped was using the high burst rate on the 90D. I've always been a bit careful about spraying and praying, not wanting to wear out the shutter, I only used slow burst, which has created a lot of slightly mis-matched panning in the past (hey these cars are fast! :oops: :$). What I've learnt is that perhaps my panning isn't that bad, but simply minuscule movements can cause a pan to mis-match. When I used high fps, I can see a few shorts that gradually get better then BANG it's perfect... then start to fade off again. These delicate intervals are missed with the slow burst so I was just getting a photo before and after I matched the speed.

I welcome any type of criticism, I still don't know what direction I want to go, especially in terms of editing. I try and do my own thing with it and resist copying what style is successful on Instagram, instead trying to follow rules of photography (rule of 3rds for example, I try not to make care entirely central in the photo but on a small screen it feels like the cars get lost so I end up doing it!).

Equipment: Canon 90D | Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 | Manfrotto Element MII

1/
1 by A Campbell, on Flickr

2/
2 by A Campbell, on Flickr

3/
3 by A Campbell, on Flickr

4/
4 by A Campbell, on Flickr

5/
5 by A Campbell, on Flickr

6/
6 by A Campbell, on Flickr

7/
7 by A Campbell, on Flickr

8/
10 by A Campbell, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm no expert when it comes to photographing cars and whilst the colours look great and natural, I'd like to see the cars sharp and I'm not sure any are. I love the Pan to give the sensation of speed, I think it's just lacking that final execution of sharpness.

All subjective of course, I bet they looked great on the back of the camera and bet it was a fun day out.

Can I say how to fix, no idea other than practice :)

Last edited:
Evening All,

First post sharing some photos here, I've been photographing since 2018 using a Panasonic Lumix Fz72 but upgraded in 2021 to a 90D and have been attending the GT every year since. Below is a few shots I took on the Saturday (Qualifying day) as it was forecasted (accurately) that race day would be wet. I prefer qualifying as it's quieter so I can move about and get different angles across the day.

Ramblings
This was the first time using a Monopod and filters with my Tamron 70-200 2.8, someone from work lent me some Cokin drop-in filters before I invested in some screw-on filters as 77mm filters are quite pricey. On hindsight, drop in filters probably aren't the best idea for pixel peepers like me, I assume the air gap between the various surfaces created a fair bit of diffraction, but allowed me to stop down the exposure enough to get 1/100 shutter speed at 2.8 for some video shots. I removed the ND filter once I realised the quality of the photos weren't great, but I can see from later editing that the CPL still created a fair bit of diffraction. You live and learn!

My success rate this time round was a lot higher, the monopod definitely helped and I was brave enough to start dropping the shutter speed to 1/80, 1/60 and even 1/40 to get some more fluid pans. What helped was using the high burst rate on the 90D. I've always been a bit careful about spraying and praying, not wanting to wear out the shutter, I only used slow burst, which has created a lot of slightly mis-matched panning in the past (hey these cars are fast! :oops: :$). What I've learnt is that perhaps my panning isn't that bad, but simply minuscule movements can cause a pan to mis-match. When I used high fps, I can see a few shorts that gradually get better then BANG it's perfect... then start to fade off again. These delicate intervals are missed with the slow burst so I was just getting a photo before and after I matched the speed.

I welcome any type of criticism, I still don't know what direction I want to go, especially in terms of editing. I try and do my own thing with it and resist copying what style is successful on Instagram, instead trying to follow rules of photography (rule of 3rds for example, I try not to make care entirely central in the photo but on a small screen it feels like the cars get lost so I end up doing it!).

Equipment: Canon 90D | Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 | Manfrotto Element MII

1/
1 by A Campbell, on Flickr

2/
2 by A Campbell, on Flickr

3/
3 by A Campbell, on Flickr

4/
4 by A Campbell, on Flickr

5/
5 by A Campbell, on Flickr

6/
6 by A Campbell, on Flickr

7/
7 by A Campbell, on Flickr

8/
10 by A Campbell, on Flickr

First of all there is no right or wrong to this, it is just personal preference.

For panning shots using a 70-200 lens I would not use a monopod as it interferes with your natural body movement during the panning action.

As for filters, I wouldn’t bother with them unless you are wanting to do some ultra-low-shutter-speed pans. The panning action itself will blur the background so the aperture value is of little importance.

Also I don’t bother with a high burst rate. In fact I normally only fire off one frame for a panning shot. If a car is travelling at 100mph, and the camera shoots at 10fps, the car will move 14.67ft between each frame. So I just time the shots for where I want the car to be in the frame.

But as I said that is just the way that I photograph motorsport.

First of all there is no right or wrong to this, it is just personal preference.

For panning shots using a 70-200 lens I would not use a monopod as it interferes with your natural body movement during the panning action.

As for filters, I wouldn’t bother with them unless you are wanting to do some ultra-low-shutter-speed pans. The panning action itself will blur the background so the aperture value is of little importance.

Also I don’t bother with a high burst rate. In fact I normally only fire off one frame for a panning shot. If a car is travelling at 100mph, and the camera shoots at 10fps, the car will move 14.67ft between each frame. So I just time the shots for where I want the car to be in the frame.

I also find panning awkward with a monopod. I'm used to swivelling at the waist & that certainly doesn't work with the pod!

My preferred lens for motorsports is a 150-500 which gets rather heavy after a race or two, so I'd love to be able to get the pod to take the weight!

Like Eucris I usually stick to single shot settings, even with these I can get two or three frames of more spectacular cars. High burst rates just end up giving me too many images to go through - though perhaps it's also that I started out shooting motorsports with film. The GT's & Formula 3 where my main outings back then.

I like your shots Aaron, takes me back to the good old days when I had the chance to explore the circuits more. Today when I visit Oulton Park I consider it good if I get time to slip out from the pits & get to deer leap. At least this weekends trip to Goodwood will be exclusively for photography :)

Thanks for all your feedback!

I'm no expert when it comes to photographing cars and whilst the colours look great and natural, I'd like to see the cars sharp and I'm not sure any are. I love the Pan to give the sensation of speed, I think it's just lacking that final execution of sharpness.

All subjective of course, I bet they looked great on the back of the camera and bet it was a fun day out.

Can I say how to fix, no idea other than practice :)

Someone might correct me here, but I don't think it's possible to get the entire car sharp at a slow shutter speed panning shot when they're coming at you at a angle? Like, there will always be one part of the car moving towards you faster than another? If that's not what you mean I agree with you anyway, there's a frustrating ghosting going on on a few parts and I can't quite attribute it to a certain thing. Focus slightly off, detracting from the CPL or simply panning technique! I pushed myself to get the shutter slower speeds and I probably just need more practice

I also find panning awkward with a monopod. I'm used to swivelling at the waist & that certainly doesn't work with the pod!

My preferred lens for motorsports is a 150-500 which gets rather heavy after a race or two, so I'd love to be able to get the pod to take the weight!

Like Eucris I usually stick to single shot settings, even with these I can get two or three frames of more spectacular cars. High burst rates just end up giving me too many images to go through - though perhaps it's also that I started out shooting motorsports with film. The GT's & Formula 3 where my main outings back then.

I like your shots Aaron, takes me back to the good old days when I had the chance to explore the circuits more. Today when I visit Oulton Park I consider it good if I get time to slip out from the pits & get to deer leap. At least this weekends trip to Goodwood will be exclusively for photography :)
I understand what you both mean, you need horizontal movement as well as rotational. I ended up using the monopod more as a grip in the end than a stationary pivoting point. Last year by 2-3pm my arms were aching from the weight of the lens all day (I've got the figure of a monopod ) so I thought the monopod would reduce the fatigue which it thankfully did. It also kept my hand away from the focus ring which I used to knock when adjusting my grip on the lens. Wouldn't you suggest keeping the CPL though (when I buy a decent one) as reflections are the only big thing you can't combat in post?

Maybe the burst settings were a dud this time, it did amount to more photos but I think I'm happier with the successes I got, but again there's so many variables this time out I can't really put my finger on it.

Funny you mention not being able to get out of the pits, I felt guilty this year for rarely walking around them. I normally enjoy taking photos of the goings on in the paddocks but I never got round to it. 70mm is bit awkward to deal with in the close confines of the paddock. What is it you normally do that stops you getting out of the pits?

Overall though I enjoyed the weekend. I feel a bit more engaged watching it through the camera than just standing there spectating. Gives me something to focus on and away from the thoughts of daily life ☺️

Thanks for all your feedback!

Someone might correct me here, but I don't think it's possible to get the entire car sharp at a slow shutter speed panning shot when they're coming at you at a angle? Like, there will always be one part of the car moving towards you faster than another? If that's not what you mean I agree with you anyway, there's a frustrating ghosting going on on a few parts and I can't quite attribute it to a certain thing. Focus slightly off, detracting from the CPL or simply panning technique! I pushed myself to get the shutter slower speeds and I probably just need more practice

I understand what you both mean, you need horizontal movement as well as rotational. I ended up using the monopod more as a grip in the end than a stationary pivoting point. Last year by 2-3pm my arms were aching from the weight of the lens all day (I've got the figure of a monopod ) so I thought the monopod would reduce the fatigue which it thankfully did. It also kept my hand away from the focus ring which I used to knock when adjusting my grip on the lens. Wouldn't you suggest keeping the CPL though (when I buy a decent one) as reflections are the only big thing you can't combat in post?

Maybe the burst settings were a dud this time, it did amount to more photos but I think I'm happier with the successes I got, but again there's so many variables this time out I can't really put my finger on it.

Funny you mention not being able to get out of the pits, I felt guilty this year for rarely walking around them. I normally enjoy taking photos of the goings on in the paddocks but I never got round to it. 70mm is bit awkward to deal with in the close confines of the paddock. What is it you normally do that stops you getting out of the pits?

Overall though I enjoyed the weekend. I feel a bit more engaged watching it through the camera than just standing there spectating. Gives me something to focus on and away from the thoughts of daily life ☺️

I think I'm right in saying that the CPL won't do anything about reflections on metal or paint, but it will let you see through the windscreen if the angle is right. Last time I did any motorsport I didn't bother with any filters, but there was a guy standing near me who was specifically trying to get shots of the drivers through the screen, so he was using one all day.

It's a great set, but that watermark is really offputting. Unless you are selling your images, I would just post them without the watermark. Did you add some blur in photoshop, as some of the blur paths look a bit odd (might just be me seeing things that are not there!)

No6 is the pick for me.

Exactly right - unless you shoot around 1/160 or above, you are unlikely to get the whole car sharp. Best to focus on getting the front of the car in focus. Back button focusing really helps too in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACX
My work includes testing the fuel (mainly ay the BTCC & it's support races now) to ensure no-one is adding go faster juice (or simply buying from a non authorised supplier). As such I have to be around to take samples & test them at the end on nearly every session. It get's me into the circuits free, covers the weekends expenses & provides a little overtime. When I first started we were supplying Formula 3 but didn't have the support races so I had much more time between work sessions to waste film.

I usually take a wider lens along especially if I'm intending to shoot around the paddock, or have the chance to get out on the grid. Sometimes it's actually a whole second body allowing me to shoot IR such as this one from Oulton Park ten years ago.
Leaving the Grid (IR) by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

It's only if shooting IR that I'm likely to use a filter at motorsports.

Last edited:
It's a great set, but that watermark is really offputting. Unless you are selling your images, I would just post them without the watermark. Did you add some blur in photoshop, as some of the blur paths look a bit odd (might just be me seeing things that are not there!)

No6 is the pick for me.
Thanks!

Up until a week ago I was just using some text with a very weak opacity. Really, I don't know what the right thing is for a watermark or not. It sounds very presumptuous but I'd be upset if any of my pictures were used without my permission as I upload my photos to instagram and had a component manufacturer for a smaller race series last year message me asking for photos of one of their sponsored cars. This made me a bit cautious about ever uploading anything without a watermark. I obliged but sent a low res watermarked version (which I imagine they thought they wouldn't be getting and instead a freebie). I did this because:

1. Entry conditions say I can't use them commercially
2. I don't want to step on the toes of togs who are there with permission to do it commercially. Why pay when someone will give you photos for free right? So I don't want to devalue photography any more than it already is.. so yeah I don't know what the balance is!

No blur was added in photoshop, all my photos are edited in lightroom from RAW. I use masking, one for the car and one for the background so maybe it's some weird effect that comes from editing the two parts differently.

Back