British GT Oulton Park Easter 2022

Too high a shutter speed, cars look parked!

There isn't a huge sense of motion - but the processing is tasteful, the compositions balanced and exposures good.

I cannot pan to save my life - so this seems a good approach if you don't have that skill.

Reactions: ACX
Thanks both - I was trying to at least show some motion within the wheels, but on reflection agree needed less shutter speed, this was one from Druids earlier same shutter speed, wheels show more motion, but the background doesn't.

EOS 5D Mark IV-5565 by @johnb, on Flickr

I usually have a go at panning, with varying degrees of success but for some reason I didn't even attempt to on that day. Here's one from when they visited in 2020 down at Foulstons.

EOS 5D Mark IV-0296 by @johnb, on Flickr

Do like your images, if you want to get some motion in your images then try starting at 1/320, should be quick enough to get the cars and give some blur in the background :)

Don't be afraid of a bit of blur/softness in your images. I was at the same meeting and shot as low as 1/20! I learned a long time ago that motorsport images don't need to be tack sharp, so long as there is blur and motion in the shot.

I'm away at the moment, but I'll try and chuck some of mine up duster week.

I am a beginner so my evaluation might not mean much but I don't think there's anything wrong with faster shutter speeds. Sometimes it's nice enough just to have the subject the car itself.

There's a good enough depth of field to seperate them from the background! Nice shots!

Do like your images, if you want to get some motion in your images then try starting at 1/320, should be quick enough to get the cars and give some blur in the background :)
Thanks - I need more practice out there and confidence on not needing to produce a shot that's very sharp. Hopefully I can get to this weekends BARC meeting, love classic and super tourers.

Don't be afraid of a bit of blur/softness in your images. I was at the same meeting and shot as low as 1/20! I learned a long time ago that motorsport images don't need to be tack sharp, so long as there is blur and motion in the shot.

I'm away at the moment, but I'll try and chuck some of mine up duster week.
Thanks - some of it's down to confidence of producing blurred shots, everywhere is/was always going on about tack sharp images. Don't think I would get any keepers a that low speed.

I am a beginner so my evaluation might not mean much but I don't think there's anything wrong with faster shutter speeds. Sometimes it's nice enough just to have the subject the car itself.

There's a good enough depth of field to seperate them from the background! Nice shots!
Thank you.

What you have to remember is that there are three things that affect the amount of motion blur that you get in a panning shot.

1. The speed that the bike/car is travelling at.
  2. The shutter speed being used.
  3. The distance from the camera to the subject.

The further away you are from the subject, the slower the panning action.
The closer you are to the subject, the faster the panning action.

You also need to remember that a bike/car travelling at 100mph and photographed with a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second will have exactly the same amount of motion blur as a bike/car travelling at 50mph and photographed with a shutter speed of 1/30 of a second.

Back