Critique Brownsea Red Squirrel

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
No
Hello All.

Found this shot on my HDD recently and would appreciate some feedback on it as I don't shoot wildlife...

STU_4426-Edit.jpg

Especially in the department of

A) Is the foreground branch distracting?
B) Should of I got a shot with both eyes facing the camera?

Nikon D750 & Nikon 200-500 at 500mm.

Stu

Mate i'm mainly commenting because.... damn you have a cool name:D

I'd also say am learning so the opinion is what it is as valid as anyones,but not qualified by experience.

First I don't see why a head angle of head on might be more preferable, the head turn to you is cool enough. Maybe on top of that branch might be favourable,it's an eye catching bit of wood. Third I'm also not convinced that portrait was maybe the best choice,maybe done because of distractions?, But i'd favour "red" to have a bit more space to look into on the left.

Stu,on all levels tis a damn fine shot,lovely detail lovely light,light almost spotlighting your subject,head turn into that light so the eye sparkles, clean dark BKG that even so oof still conveys woodland to me,above is nit picking for me,i'm cool with that Stu nit picking is where we improve,but I am and it is

Reach is the penance of wildlife togging least ways most of the time,to me you are already leaps and bounds in front of me,you took this with a togs eye there is some^^ thought me thinks. Only you can know if the draw of the beasties is enough to make you stump up for the tools for the job

belucky Stu:)

Stu:D

Mate i'm mainly commenting because.... damn you have a cool name:D

I'd also say am learning so the opinion is what it is as valid as anyones,but not qualified by experience.

First I don't see why a head angle of head on might be more preferable, the head turn to you is cool enough. Maybe on top of that branch might be favourable,it's an eye catching bit of wood. Third I'm also not convinced that portrait was maybe the best choice,maybe done because of distractions?, But i'd favour "red" to have a bit more space to look into on the left.

Stu,on all levels tis a damn fine shot,lovely detail lovely light,light almost spotlighting your subject,head turn into that light so the eye sparkles, clean dark BKG that even so oof still conveys woodland to me,above is nit picking for me,i'm cool with that Stu nit picking is where we improve,but I am and it is

Reach is the penance of wildlife togging least ways most of the time,to me you are already leaps and bounds in front of me,you took this with a togs eye there is some^^ thought me thinks. Only you can know if the draw of the beasties is enough to make you stump up for the tools for the job

belucky Stu:)

Stu:D
Thanks fellow Stu!

The original shot is in portrait, so there isn't much scope for cropping so I got space for the squirrel to look out to the left. The only thing I did do was crop to 4x5, as I quite often do with portrait shots.

I did love the light that day, early spring so plenty of gaps in the trees for the light to fall through - this was a 3/4 backlight which is a great angle for shaping while also providing some light on the face.

Cheers!

Firstly it's a lovely photo. My immediate reaction to the branch (before seeing your questions) was that it was a distraction. But the more I looked at the image the more I like it. I think the harshness of the stripes really contrast nicely with the fur and make the squirrel far more unique. Regards to the eyes, really don't think it matters, as long as you have a least one - which you do.

I would however be tempted to rotate clockwise a few degrees so that his ears are perfectly vertical. Everything leans to the left at the moment and I find it slightly unbalanced because of it. But wonderful photo nonetheless, thanks for sharing

Firstly it's a lovely photo. My immediate reaction to the branch (before seeing your questions) was that it was a distraction. But the more I looked at the image the more I like it. I think the harshness of the stripes really contrast nicely with the fur and make the squirrel far more unique. Regards to the eyes, really don't think it matters, as long as you have a least one - which you do.

I would however be tempted to rotate clockwise a few degrees so that his ears are perfectly vertical. Everything leans to the left at the moment and I find it slightly unbalanced because of it. But wonderful photo nonetheless, thanks for sharing
Hi Simon, thanks for your detailed feedback! I'll have a look at the rotation, I would never think to rotate a wildlife photo - something I would do as a matter of course with landscapes of course. Every day is a school day!
Thanks again.

I like it as it is. If you want to mess around a little you could try cropping some of the branch making the squirrel appear larger in the image.
Another possibility is to insert a graduated filter in LR (at the bottom) so there is less light on the branch, again making the squirrel stand out more.

Very nice photo. Good close up of the squirrel. He's having a fine lunch.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
He was! Not supplied by me tho :)

I like it as it is. If you want to mess around a little you could try cropping some of the branch making the squirrel appear larger in the image.
Another possibility is to insert a graduated filter in LR (at the bottom) so there is less light on the branch, again making the squirrel stand out more.
Thanks for the tips, I shall have a go at darkening the branch down to take the impact out of it a little.

Back