Critique bryngarw country park

1 Lacks a subject. The low angle stops the path being a 'lead in' to the shot and puts too much emphasis on the out of focus foreground
2 There must be some stunning colours there as the trees turn but you need a) better light to bring out the colours and b) maybe consider more of a letterbox crop which would allow the shot to focus more on the trees and structures cutting out the scruffy, leaf covered grass in the foreground
3 A better composition, but again you do need better light and the right aperture to get the bridge sharp from end to end
4 Is not my usual cup of tea but I quite like this one. It's an unusual angle on the bench but it's well placed as is the tree, and there's a good colour contrast going on.

1 appeals...when one gets a new lens...well...the subject is just the same with a different perspective
cheers
geof

1 Lacks a subject. The low angle stops the path being a 'lead in' to the shot and puts too much emphasis on the out of focus foreground
2 There must be some stunning colours there as the trees turn but you need a) better light to bring out the colours and b) maybe consider more of a letterbox crop which would allow the shot to focus more on the trees and structures cutting out the scruffy, leaf covered grass in the foreground
3 A better composition, but again you do need better light and the right aperture to get the bridge sharp from end to end
4 Is not my usual cup of tea but I quite like this one. It's an unusual angle on the bench but it's well placed as is the tree, and there's a good colour contrast going on.

Thank you for your very valuable comments, taken note of these and will keep in mind for next time.

number one was a lot worse might have gone a little too close to the ground forgetting the minimum focusing distance of this lens making for very OOF foreground with no interest.
it was awful light all day but thought it might bring out the colour quite well. number 3 i thought was sharp from end to end, any tips? i looked like a numpty taking number 4 but it was worth it

1 appeals...when one gets a new lens...well...the subject is just the same with a different perspective
cheers
geof
thanks

. number 3 i thought was sharp from end to end, any tips? s

I see from the Flickr data it was taken at f6.3. If you stop down more you'll get a corresponding increase in dof, but every lens has a range where it works best, so if you stop down beyond that you'll get a deterioration in the image quality. It's just a case of experimenting to find what works best. The problem then, of course, if the light isn't good you have a choice of dropping the shutter speed, which may not work especially if you're hand holding, or upping the iso, which will lead to a loss of quality if you go too far. Other people on here will explain far better than I can. I'm very much in the 'try settings and see what works' camp.

I see from the Flickr data it was taken at f6.3. If you stop down more you'll get a corresponding increase in dof, but every lens has a range where it works best, so if you stop down beyond that you'll get a deterioration in the image quality. It's just a case of experimenting to find what works best. The problem then, of course, if the light isn't good you have a choice of dropping the shutter speed, which may not work especially if you're hand holding, or upping the iso, which will lead to a loss of quality if you go too far. Other people on here will explain far better than I can. I'm very much in the 'try settings and see what works' camp.
Hi Jenny, thank you for your feedback, I understand the concepts behind it but in practice hand held it was the best I could do without bumping the iso up which my body 500d Is known for being pretty poor and producing noisy shots even after as low as iso200

Hi Nathan.

Number one is a little hmmm, not for me really, nothing to focus on.

I really like number two, I like the colours, composition and the sky too.

Number three is ok, it would have improved with a few choice leave that just happened to "fall" into the foreground :)

Number four has really nice colours in the leaves and I like the angle. I've sat on those benches many times.

As for you 'noise' issues, your camera should be clean at ISO 200. If you underexpose these Canon sensors, they will punish you with noise. I always over expose by a third of a stop, and pull back in my post processing.

Cheers.

Back