Bryygen, HDR

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry, I don't like the processing. It's too fake and in your face.

No, that's fair enough mate. I'm on the fence about HDR, and I'm the same about the processing. I achieved exactly what I wanted, but I just can't decide whether I like it. Cheers for the feedback though :)

No, that's fair enough mate. I'm on the fence about HDR, and I'm the same about the processing. I achieved exactly what I wanted, but I just can't decide whether I like it. Cheers for the feedback though :)

I'm interested in seeing one without the HDR processing, as I really want to see what the place naturally looks like.

Even for an HDR addict like myself, that is a little overdone.....sorry! I would be interested in seeing the original as well.....along with a 'not quite so nuclear' HDR version! :)

Personally I think it's over the top, but a nice scene. I think the rigverticals also go against the composition, presumably due to the wide angle?

Thanks for the feedback! I was intentionally aiming for a more 'nuclear-HDR' picture (ala Times Square at night) and I feel I achieved what I set out to do! (It is just REALLY OTT!) I've only got a Nikon D3100, so nothing with bracketing, so I ended up processing the RAW, saving a different exposure comp to JPEG then blending in PictureNaut where I did the tone mapping and GIMP for PP. It was just a little challenge to myself, but looking at the original I think it just wasn't the best scene for HDR.

This is the original image with NO processing:

DSC_0319 by Scottish Mike, on Flickr

while this is a less OTT HDR with some cropping from the original:

Bryggen 1 holy moly batman 3 by Scottish Mike, on Flickr

The original picture is fine and doesn't require HDR processing IMHO. Here is my edit of your original, if you do not like I will remove upon request.

aaaaa-1.jpg

I agree with the other posts. This photograph looks very good in it's original form and doesn't in my view need the HDR treatment. I was last there about 15 years ago but it does not look any different - the place is almost timeless! Well done!

Cheers Steve, I like that :)
Yeah, I do agree it wasn't the best image to try HDR out on,, and thanks for being straight about it :)

Im not sure this is a good HRD image, it seems like its HDR for the sake of it. You also need to straighten the buildings. if you don't know how to do this in photo shop press CMD /CTL A then CMD /CTL T and the right click and select skew.

I'm not sure this is a good HDR image, it seems like its HDR for the sake of it.

It was! I said this earlier. It didn't work :|

You also need to straighten the buildings. if you don't know how to do this in photo shop press CMD /CTL A then CMD /CTL T and the right click and select skew.

Cheers for the instructions, I'll give that a try, however in my defence Bergen Council look like they're already onto it: ;)

DSC_0330 by Scottish Mike, on Flickr

It's such a beautiful street, it's sad it's in such disrepair.

The original is lovely.....much better. (y) But, if you wanted to experiment with HDR, perhaps something a little more subtle when tonemapping a single image.....

10043759773_629cf12ff2_o_tonemapped by Fuzzyfelt30, on Flickr

Hope you don't mind! :)

Back