BTCC Oulton Park | First Panning Attempt

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to the BTCC this weekend just gone and had a crack at panning for the first time. I used my Canon 55-250mm.

I started at 1/800 and worked down to 1/200. I found that my results were most consistent at 1/250...

It's my first time at panning and motorsport photography - go easy on me.

C&C are very welcome.

#38 Tom Onslow-Cole by Tom Cash, on Flickr

#5 Aron Smith by Tom Cash, on Flickr

#50 Tony Hughes by Tom Cash, on Flickr

#8 Rob Collard by Tom Cash, on Flickr

#44 Andy Neate by Tom Cash, on Flickr

#52 Gordon Sheddon by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Last edited:
Look sharp enough, from my "limited" experience you get really nice motion blur when you start getting down to 1/100 that obviously depends on how fast the cars are going too.

Make sure you turn your IS off, its no help when panning.

I'd give them a bit more contrast/black level and maybe a hint of vibrance, but thats personal taste.

They look tidy!

Seems 200-250 seems to be the recommend speed for most pan shots, and I've realised when I first attempted it I was way too low :)

From my POV, I think you'd do better trying to get some alternative angles as well, perhaps shots over the Apex and things like that to differentiate them a bit.

As for favourites, I think the last one does it for me - there's nice detail on the whole car and it's on a slight angle where the front is viewable as well and not just the side.

Very impressive :)

First attempt or not I'd happily have these as wallpapers on the PC.

Look sharp enough, from my "limited" experience you get really nice motion blur when you start getting down to 1/100 that obviously depends on how fast the cars are going too.

Make sure you turn your IS off, its no help when panning.

I'd give them a bit more contrast/black level and maybe a hint of vibrance, but thats personal taste.
Cheers man, I had IS on - I'll remember that. As for your comments regarding PP - I'm not too sharp in that area yet, I'll pick it up. :)

They look tidy!

Seems 200-250 seems to be the recommend speed for most pan shots, and I've realised when I first attempted it I was way too low :)

From my POV, I think you'd do better trying to get some alternative angles as well, perhaps shots over the Apex and things like that to differentiate them a bit.

As for favourites, I think the last one does it for me - there's nice detail on the whole car and it's on a slight angle where the front is viewable as well and not just the side.
Cheers Matt. :D I agree with your POV comment completely. I took all those from the same spot. When we moved down towards the corners, there was too much action and I felt like I wasn't enjoying my day as much and stopped taking pictures... Unfortunately, all the ones from the corner were rubbish.

Coming down to 1/100 ish is awesome for a fast effect, it's just really hard to execute perfectly. I was struggling at 1/200!!

Very impressive :)

First attempt or not I'd happily have these as wallpapers on the PC.
Thanks man - very nice comment indeed!

Great set bud. Im using the same lens and its brilliant quality for the price isn't it.
Yeah, it's a great lens. Especially as I got it half price! Money very well spent, even at RRP!

Looks like youve definately got your panning sorted, perhaps maybe try and get to different corners next time, i know thats not really possible on a race day especially when the BTCc is on.

You might find thats why you stuggled to go lower if you had the IS on, remember its trying to compensate for camera movement so will fight a pan.

Some guys on here manage to get sharp shots as low as 1/10th god knows how. The lowest i got was 1/80th and the keeper rate was awful.

I try not to use centre focus point all the time and rather give some space in front or behind the car, and you can tilt the angle that you take to shot to give a bit more interest if its a flat bit of track. Again all preference not right or wrong.

Its a very good first effort none the less, meant to put that in my first post.

Thanks Dex - I will next time. :)

Cheers Chris, that's some sound advice and makes perfect sense regarding the IS. Next time I may go alone to free myself up a bit and to really get around and try new stuff.

I'm looking forward to it already.

Really appreciate the input man. :)

Very good first attempt, agree with the other comments, with practise you should be able to get down to 1/50 at a slow part of a track. The exit of Druids at Brands is a good spot for this, never been to Oulton so cant help there.

Last edited:
Excellent first attempt, much much better than mine was.

Keep practising and when you feel really confident at 1/200th, drop it down to 1/160th, then 1/125th and so on, before you know it you'll be at 1/30th and lower. It gets easier each time and practise makes perfect.

It is better to keep the IS off, however if you've got a panning mode on it (usually mode 2) and you're taking flat shots then you can turn it on to help you at first.

Cheers guys!

1/30th! wow, haha, seems impossible at the moment. As you say, practise makes perfect.

I'm not sure I have a panning mode, but I did have it on full manual.

Back