Critique Buachaille Etive Mor (again)...

I never tire of seeing this mountain (is it classed as a mountain?) and it is one place I will eventually get to shoot myself.
What was the timescale between first light and golden light Steve?

I love the pastel colours of first light in #1 but the golden light in #2 really changes the dynamics of the scene.

soft grads used? Seems to be more heavily grad'd at the top of the image?

Reactions: ST4
You cant go wrong with the Buachaille, especially in that light. I probably like the second and third best just for the added bonus of the sulight lighting up the mountain. The only minor gripe is the third image seems a bit dark at the top, no doubt it could be fixed in PP though.

Far be it from me to say beauty is not beautiful, I envy you Steve having this not to far away, I think to portray something like this in different light just emphasises how stunning the mountain is. As with this, Yr Wyddfa, Scarfell and all the others they hold a captivating beauty to me especially when snow-capped.
I really love No1 actually, those muted tones and the rocks just starting to pick up a tinge of colour, and the light just hitting the summit gorgeous!
All special, a superb set Steve, It must be great to just be there and such it all in watch it unfold in front of your eyes. Have you ever been to the summit Steve?

Far be it from me to say beauty is not beautiful, I envy you Steve having this not to far away, I think to portray something like this in different light just emphasises how stunning the mountain is. As with this, Yr Wyddfa, Scarfell and all the others they hold a captivating beauty to me especially when snow-capped.
I really love No1 actually, those muted tones and the rocks just starting to pick up a tinge of colour, and the light just hitting the summit gorgeous!
All special, a superb set Steve, It must be great to just be there and such it all in watch it unfold in front of your eyes. Have you ever been to the summit Steve?

It is the best way of spending a morning ever. Its serene, you gather your thoughts, you enjoy the space, the anticipation of it all to happen. Two is more conventional but for me one is my favourite and one I would probably put on my wall. I've done this spot when there is full snow (you can see it here: http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/glencoe-winter-landscape-photography/) and its even better.

I know I will be at this spot next Autumn and winter.

It is the best way of spending a morning ever. Its serene, you gather your thoughts, you enjoy the space, the anticipation of it all to happen. Two is more conventional but for me one is my favourite and one I would probably put on my wall. I've done this spot when there is full snow (you can see it here: http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/glencoe-winter-landscape-photography/) and its even better.

I know I will be at this spot next Autumn and winter.
Ha like the blog! Read the Glencoe winter page(y) I will look through the other pages when I get home(y) And there was I thinking I was the only one that went through my camera and deleted every image when I got home:(
I'll have to chat to you sometime about visiting Scotland. I have two outstanding places high on my list one is Scotland and the other Iceland. So I'll be sure to contact you for some pointers of some route recommendations when I get that far, probably 2017/18 now, as the Boss is fed up with me dragging her off to places covered in snow and ice at the moment;)

I like the portrait orientation of the 3rd, I think it works well with solitary peaks like this.

The light in the last two is gorgeous, but then, you didn't need me to tell you that. :)

Last edited:
Nice Steve #3 is my fave

Lovely set, number one for me, love the tones in that one.

I was stood at that very spot last Friday.

No 3 for me, the portrait orientation has allowed better use of that nice foreground and the light is good too.

The landscape ones in particular are a couple of lovely shots Steve. The first for it's pastel light and balance of clouds, the second for the stronger contrast and warm light.

If you don't mind me commenting on this style of photography, you appear to find a composition stick with it and presumably take shots every few minutes/moments as the light changes. I really like this approach and is something I do myself, however there are times I feel like it misses me other shots by being too rigid and sometime waiting for a lighting event that does not happen, when re composing would get me a shot. Kind of a catch 22 situation, how do you find it?

The landscape ones in particular are a couple of lovely shots Steve. The first for it's pastel light and balance of clouds, the second for the stronger contrast and warm light.

If you don't mind me commenting on this style of photography, you appear to find a composition stick with it and presumably take shots every few minutes/moments as the light changes. I really like this approach and is something I do myself, however there are times I feel like it misses me other shots by being too rigid and sometime waiting for a lighting event that does not happen, when re composing would get me a shot. Kind of a catch 22 situation, how do you find it?

I tend to do exactly this. I take the view I'm only 30 so a failed outing is a failed outing and I can come back and try again.

I'd rather have one or two really good shots of one day at one place than ten mediocre ones of ten different spots.

I try and find/perfect a specific composition and changing and just hoping light will come. It's all about light. It also takes time to set up, critically focus in live view, and get the exposure right.,running around changing compositions isn't great IMHO as often you fail to get it just right.

I also enjoy a feeling of calm, solitude, stillness and love just waiting for the light to come. I live near by, I can always go back if it's not right.

Prefer the pinky tones of the first shot. I guess because it sings with the time of morning that I enjoy the most. Its subdued, yet vivid and the soft contrast is great.
The others are great too, and with great light, but the first really jumps out at me

Back