Budget for a beginners DSLR

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly, 'hi'.

I'm new to the 'world of photography' but having been a keen mountain biker and computer user, I know that forums on the subjects can be an enourmous help.

I have a Pentax W90, my first camera (I'm 28, I just never really wanted one). I love it but there are some obvious limitations using a compact camera compared to even basic DSLRs.

I enjoy shooting all kinds of images. People, macro (as macro as a compact camera gets), landscapes etc. I especially like abstract textures, that kind of thing. I'm a reasonable photoshopper and am getting bored using other peoples / stock images.

I understand that this might be a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but, how much money will I need to spend on a camera (body, lens and flash) to be happy with it. I'd like enough features (shutter speed etc) to keep me happily experimenting for a few years.

I think the biggest difference I'm looking for between compact cameras and SLRs is getting rid of the delay between pressing 'shoot' and actually capturing the image.

So, how much should this cost me?

How much (an approximate percentage) could I save by going second hand? I can't view the classifieds here yet.

Does a particular brand offer better products at the lower end of their range?

Many Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
I'd be looking to budget around £400 maybe for a body, £200 for a flash and anywhere from £150-1000 for a lens, depending on what you want.
Second hand will always be more cost effective, but if course you loose any warranties, unless you buy from a dealer/shop.

I wouldnt recommend getting a very basic starter DSLR, as you'll quickly outgrow it, I always recommend getting a previous "prosumer"" or second above budget model. So in this case something like a Nikon D90 or a D5000. The D90 is one step below the semi pro D300, so still has most of the auto settings to get you started, but will last long enough to stay with you once you learn more and become more confident. It also has the benefit of a built in focus motor, so you have a wider choice of lenses.

You'll want a dedicated flashgun really, so you'll be looking for a Nikon SB600 or SB800 which are from about £150-£300. There are 3rd party options however like the Nissin Di622 which are much more affordable at about £100 new.

As for lenses, there is no "do it all" lens. You need to pick a lens for the given subject. Some lenses can obviously do more than one thing however. For Landscapes you'll want something reasonably wide, around the 18mm or below mark.
For macro, you want either a dedicated macro lens or one of the many other options like a Raynox attachment, lens reverse mount or extention tubes.
You can spend anywhere between £70 to £7000 and above on a single lens, so its impossible to say without knowing exactly the sort of thing and the quality you want.

So to basically answer the qustion. I'd be looking at a minimum of £400 for a decent set up of body,lens and flash, but I'd reccomend spending a little more to get something that will last longer, perform better and ultimately give you the confidence to keep practicing and shooting. Its all to easy to get fed up with something that doesnt perform as well as you want it too and give up, so buy the best you can afford and you'll know it will never limit you in anyway.

Last edited:
I'd suggest sticking with either Canon or Nikon.
In the Canon range the 30D looks to be going for ~£200 on ebay for the body. A 50mm f1.8 lens can be picked up for ~£60 and a basic zoom for about the same.
It's always possible to spend more, but that depends on your budget.

I got a canon 450d a while back off here, and I've been delighted with it as an entry model. Costs about £300 second hand, then I put a 17-85mm lens and a 50-250 zoom with it. Reallyn good way in I've found. the 17-85 was about £240 i think, and the zoom about £170, so around £700 all in if you shop around for that package.

Obviously you can go cheaper, but I was pretty poleased with that set up. If you take the 18-55 kit lens it comes in about 200 cheaper all in I think

oh, and remember, there might be a few little extras you need to buy - tripod, lighting if you want to do indoor stuff, hoods, flters (worth puttiung a uv filter on just to protect lenses of course) and shutter release / bag etc

Hi Mike, I'm also new here and a keen mountain biker myself :D

And also, I have a Pentax (i-10) compact which I love, and I'm the same position as you regarding buying the first DSLR. I've found it beneficial to get a shot of some friends cameras, so I know the Canon 450D and Nikon D3100 (both entry level), which are great I found. But after using a mate's D80 (semi-pro) I've decided I want something more substantial and solid.

I've a budget of £500 tops, as I'm a student, and I'm thinking of sourcing a used D90 and a lens if it doesn't already come with one. I plan on using whatever lens it comes with, so probs the kit lens. TBH I don't see any reason to spend more than that, as you know from forums, there are ways to pay less for stuff ;)

Entry level is just fine I think, but I'd definitely consider second hand if I were you and get something to last :) if you don't mind doing without a warranty.

I have
Nikkon D3000 plus 18-55 vr - £295 new from camera centre

Nikkor 55-200 vr second hand 110 here
Tamron 70-300 macro £80 second hand here
Raynor 250 £45 here
Jessops 360 flash - was about £40 ish
Jessops carbon Fibre tripod with manfrotto head and also manfrotto monopod £80 here

A handful of lens filters all circ £5 here

And a macro lens on it's way for my birthday. Here

As an amateur these are all fine for me - although I am debating upgrading body but only to incorporate video.

you can get d90 refurb units with warrenty form wilkinson cameras for £450, there a very good camera, then you can take your pic of lenses from there

I have
Nikkon D3000 plus 18-55 vr - £295 new from camera centre

Nikkor 55-200 vr second hand 110 here
Tamron 70-300 macro £80 second hand here
Raynor 250 £45 here
Jessops 360 flash - was about £40 ish
Jessops carbon Fibre tripod with manfrotto head and also manfrotto monopod £80 here

A handful of lens filters all circ £5 here

And a macro lens on it's way for my birthday. Here

As an amateur these are all fine for me - although I am debating upgrading body but only to incorporate video.

Have you got a link for the camera centre, Google throws up a few.

I'd be looking to budget around £400 maybe for a body, £200 for a flash and anywhere from £150-1000 for a lens, depending on what you want.

Is a flash really necessary for a beginner though? Perhaps it depends on the type of stuff you're interested in photographing, but personally I'd say that for a newcomer looking to learn the basics, a flash isn't really essential.

If you decide to go canon, I would suggest going for a 30D, a 50mm f1.8 (a.k.a. nifty fifty) and a 430 EX MK1.

2nd hand prices:
30D = £190 - £210
nifty = £60
430EX = £100 - £130

So that will total about £350 that setup will get you started, and you will definitely experience a huge speed difference against your point and shoot.

If you want warranty on second hand prices, you can visit mpbphotographic or any other online sites, but sometimes its worth getting a new one like in the case of 50 f1.8. Amazon sells them for £77 brand new, compared to mpb's price £74 + delivery.
It pays to hunt around.#

Sorry I'm not familiar with Nikon gear...

edit:
Forgot to say add a set of kenko extension tubes for macro if you really like macro.

Last edited:
Back