Builder's rates

Anyone who does a job properly is worth a decent days money.
Its a shame that its come to that though, what happened to pride in the job, where everyone did a decent job? :(

Its a shame that its come to that though, what happened to pride in the job, where everyone did a decent job? :(
Thatcher, and the era that saw us getting used to paying less yet expecting more.
Money is king, and a decent job is way behind the bottom line for most folks..
My time costs, as does most peoples, but few can see beyond the price, and don't think about the fact that one will have to live with the way your house looks way beyond the time it takes to forget the cost.
I am lucky in that my clients seem happy to pay for a proper job, but so many people have to work to a price that doesn't allow them to do a good job, so pride goes out of the window and no-one is happy, and in the end, skill and pride is sacrificed to save a few quid..

Last edited:
I'm amazed by this thread (actually I'm not). I've done a fare bit of DIY in the past including plastering which I regard as a black art even though I am reasonably good at it (still wouldn't touch a ceiling though!).

Yes, we are all chasing the cheapest price for whatever we buy, whether that be a pint of milk, a piece of steak or a room plastering - or even an extention. It's not as simple as a price per hour. You have to understand and accept the quality and compare with others offering the same skill. Then you make the call. It may be the cheapest but they may not be the most refined. Some tradesmen may be asking for £500 a day plus mats but their quality and inspiration are top notch. It's your choice.

As this is a photography forum this can also be associated at wedding photographers. Let's face it £250 a day for weddings seems reasonable to me.

(Quickly runs away to get flak jacket and tin hat). However, hopefully people get the point that you generally get what you pay for. Also, what someone thinks looks easy, when they try, they may realise there is a lot of skill involved, both mentally and physically.

but so many people have to work to a price that doesn't allow them to do a good job,
But that's the point I'm making, if you have to lower your prices to stay competitive, that's no excuse to bodge it and scarper :(

In all trades, there comes a point where the going rate is unacceptable, I agree.
However, I'd rather walk away, than do a crap job.

I'm amazed by this thread (actually I'm not). I've done a fare bit of DIY in the past including plastering which I regard as a black art even though I am reasonably good at it (still wouldn't touch a ceiling though!).

Yes, we are all chasing the cheapest price for whatever we buy, whether that be a pint of milk, a piece of steak or a room plastering - or even an extention. It's not as simple as a price per hour. You have to understand and accept the quality and compare with others offering the same skill. Then you make the call. It may be the cheapest but they may not be the most refined. Some tradesmen may be asking for £500 a day plus mats but their quality and inspiration are top notch. It's your choice.

As this is a photography forum this can also be associated at wedding photographers. Let's face it £250 a day for weddings seems reasonable to me.

(Quickly runs away to get flak jacket and tin hat). However, hopefully people get the point that you generally get what you pay for. Also, what someone thinks looks easy, when they try, they may realise there is a lot of skill involved, both mentally and physically.

Agreed.

When I was on the tools and getting paid, people sometimes would comment that's a good rate for X amount of hours worked. I would soon tell them that I had to come here to price the job, pay insurance, tax, NI and pay for my van, diesel, tools advertising etc......... Giving two guys £250 or so for a days work isn't all profit for them and the same as any business. In general, it's not a well paid industry in certain parts of the country.

Back