Critique Bulfinch in trouble with the misses

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
I just noticed that this is my 5000th post, not that it makes any difference but it seems to me that I've obviously had too much to say over the years :mad:
Anyway, I thought I'd post a fun shot, and one that proves the bird doesn't necessarily have to be looking into the picture, this male is definitely making for the exit.
Hope you like it

C & C Welcome

TJS_3441_Bulfinch_
by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

I like this, it does remind me of "Hadoken" or "Hadouken" photography (various references on Google).

I know somebody else always getting scorned by the other half Trev :D Good to see you got yer clockwork toy`s out agin, good fun capture.

I know somebody else always getting scorned by the other half Trev :D Good to see you got yer clockwork toy`s out agin, good fun capture.

Rich, don't you dare :LOL: and talking about other half's, I'm waiting to hear........:thinking:
Cheers mate and take care.

I can relate to this one Trev :meh: :indifferent:

Cracking shoit Trevor, caught the moment just right,well done.

This is getting the cold shoulder alright. Nice capture well done, congrats on your 500th.

That's brilliant & unbelievable well captured both for the moment & the movement

Brilliant fun shot! Capturing such moments result in images which convey the best feelings - They make people smile and be happy.

(y)

Only niggle is the branch popping up from your copyright to the little fellas bottom!

....Ooops! Now that puts a completely different spin on what's going on... He is jumping backwards and she is screaming at him to watch out.

Perhaps a bit of cloning on the fresh pale break in that branch to darken it would make it less distracting. Or just cut the upper pale part off by cloning the background in Photoshop or similar. I think the photo would definitely be worth it. The branch doesn't especially bother me though because the action is so strong but it would make a great image even greater.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment, it really is appreciated (y)

Its not a shot I go out for especially, but when they come along I grab them, its so good to see the different nuances of nature and the characteristics of animals/birds. Plus of course, something like this can be fun to see, and while its easy to be anthropomorphic, and trust me, I'm as bad as any of you :), we have to realise that this activity is just a normal type of their everyday lives.

Regarding the branch you mention, I have already done some cloning to improve the shot, but I always do try to restrict how much I do so that the shot you see is as close to the original scene as possible, or to limit the artistic licence I use.
Here is the original untouched image. It wouldn't be difficult to remove the branch and if you feel it would improve the image I'll try it out. Thank you for your thoughts.

TJS_3441_Bulfinch_13-10-12-2
by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Trev, if you work on the image you posted originally (not the original untouched image) I reckon you could quite easily chop off the upper part of that branch (it's just the pale woody part) by cloning in some background . If you slightly blur (Blur tool) the edge where you cut I don't expect anyone would realise it's been done. But you might not need the Blur tool.

This would create enough gap below Mr Bullfinch's botty to solve that feedback.

I very much agree with your attitude about capturing the characteristics of wildlife subjects and to also limit the use of artistic license. If you have wildlife photographer Guy Edwardes' book, check out his tip #97 "To clone or not to clone".

Last edited:
Cheers Robin, its a judgement call really. if you look closely, on the original, I took the broken top edge of the branch, and placed it further down the branch to keep the natural look of the broken edge, then I cloned the BG to fill in where the removed section was, and also to repair the lower part of the plumage on the BF. I tend not to use the blur tool for this purpose as it can be very evident that its been used when the BG is looked at closely.
Your right that the branch could easily reduced further away from the birds posterior (careful use of words there lol). Looking at it again now, maybe I should have reduced the branch further.

Your right that the branch could easily reduced further away from the birds posterior (careful use of words there lol). Looking at it again now, maybe I should have reduced the branch further.

....It's not too late. But of course it's your photo and depends on whether you think it's worthwhile spending any more time on it.

Posterior threatening branch or not, it's still a really great capture and evocative image (y)

Last edited:
....It's not too late. But of course it's your photo and depends on whether you think it's worthwhile spending any more time on it.

Posterior threatening branch or not, it's still a really great capture and evocative image (y)
Your original was a good bit of PPing, but taking it a little further I think would improve the shot.
Either way, it's still a pleasing shot
Perfect timing great shot;)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. I did rework it as you can see above to shorten the branch, and I do think its improved it. As I said, its a judgement call and that's open to our individual opinions, its good to hear what others think, not only on this one, but I am talking generally on the forum. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Back