Burn O'Vat

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Was at the Burn O'Vat near Ballater today with my fiance. Having just had my camera around a month I wanted to try some water shots. Next time I would do a longer shutter speed and get an ND filter maybe ND8. Very happy with them though for a first attempt. Was using Canon kit lens and canon 10-22. Comments welcome:

IMG_2472_zps20fa2c9d.jpg

IMG_2478_zps21b70bd5.jpg

no 2 is better
cheers
geof

Have to agree with Geof, the second image is by far the better one.

I'd find it a more interesting subject if there was more water flowing, otherwise they're ok for me.

Number 2 for me! I think the composition is a bit stronger in that one.

Thanks for the comments everyone - 2 is my favourite as well.

One thing I do l like about image 1 is that little rock at the front with the water flowing over it.

How annoying is visiting the Vat to find there is no water flow....how does that work when it never seems to stop raining? I have been a few times yet ive never seen it in full flow.

#1 i think works better when at full flow with a lower tighter perspective closer to that rock

#2 is the best of this visit, i like the composition

Both look a little cold and blue with regard to white balance :thinking:

Here was my last visit with nothing more than a trickle too...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmike-uk/6273733012/

Mike

How annoying is visiting the Vat to find there is no water flow....how does that work when it never seems to stop raining? I have been a few times yet ive never seen it in full flow.

#1 i think works better when at full flow with a lower tighter perspective closer to that rock

#2 is the best of this visit, i like the composition

Both look a little cold and blue with regard to white balance :thinking:

Here was my last visit with nothing more than a trickle too...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmike-uk/6273733012/

Mike

Thanks Mike

Might play with the white balance.

This was my first ever visit so didn't know any different. After rain on Mon/Tues it's sure to be flowing now :LOL:

Hi,

Great images, I live not too far from these falls so I have been many times. the first image is good but its always a hard composition as there never seems to be a decent flow of water in the foreground as it flows out behind the larger rocks. you could always zoom in so that you are focusing on the main flow but with the small stream at the front still at the bottom of the shot, this would just keep the eye on the main subject.

The second image is the better of the two as you see more of the water, might be good to try that shot in portrait orientation next time and try to get some water flowing into the foreground.

I always wish i had the time to just nip up there just after the heavy rainfall to see how much comes down but by the weekends when i can manage it is back to normal.

I also always find it hard to balance the top of the falls as it is always really light there compared to the darker parts of the rock.

all in all a really good first attempt, always a great place to sit and try loads of compositions (y)

Here is a shot from the last time i was there showing a bit more water flowing in the foreground.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisgrieve/6002517161/in/photostream

Cheers
Chris.

Thanks for the comments Chris, never thought to try Portrait.

There's a better set of falls farther down Deeside. Not been to photograph them myself yet but intend to do so soon.

Back