Butterflies

Cheers guys

Nice set there, bet it was fun using the MP-E there !

For sure, the butterflies stayed still for such a long time too!

I've been using the neotec monopod and i'm hitting the focus time after time, whilst still being much more maneuverable than a tripod.

It was busy though!

Number two for me but a great set.

Very nice set, but detail in No2 wins for me.

Amazing set you have there.

Every time I try these my lens mists up :(

thanks, my lens did mist up for the first 10 minutes or so, it stopped after that.

dancook said:
thanks, my lens did mist up for the first 10 minutes or so, it stopped after that.

Lovely set of shots. I normally keep the camera out of the bag in the car to start warming up. Then in butterfly world (Edinburgh) i'll have a wonder round for 10 mins with camera out and lens cap on. It gives you a chance to enjoy the butterflies and you don't get tempted to give the lens a wipe.

I couldn't possibly pick a favorite, they are all really good, very impressive!
What lens did you use for this? I've been thinking about getting into close up of insects and things.

Lovely set of pics, tried these before but they never stay still long enough for me.

#2 and 4 for me

Thanks all!

I couldn't possibly pick a favorite, they are all really good, very impressive!
What lens did you use for this? I've been thinking about getting into close up of insects and things.

The mp-e 65mm :)

love the super close up

amazing detail, seeing pics like these make me want a macro lens even more

MT-24EX is a nice purchase too ;)

My fiancee was just encouraging me to buy the 100L...... surely it's a trap..

Crikey, now that's some serious kit (Mt-24ex) aswell,,
I'd listen to your fiancee, encouragements a good thing hehe, a new toy!
But I'm guessing there maybe a cost, aka trap?

I can't quiet understand though how the mpe 65 is a tad more expensive than the 100L considering it has a shade more reach and IS.. I'm guessing the 65 can ultimately get, closer?

I can't quiet understand though how the mpe 65 is a tad more expensive than the 100L considering it has a shade more reach and IS.. I'm guessing the 65 can ultimately get, closer?

The mpe-65mm does not have infinite focus, it can only do 1:1 -> 5:1 macro-

So it ranges from 'close' to 'VERY close' without the need for attachments.

Well, it will focus on your subject as long as you are within the Canon MP-E 65mm Macro Lens' tiny focus distance range. Starting at 1x, the MP-E subject is in focus at a slightly more than a 100mm working distance. By 2x, the working distance drops to 63mm. Continuing on a distance curve, the MP-E allows only 41mm of working distance at 5x. You can forget trying to grab a portrait with this lens - unless the portrait is of an insect or something similar.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-MP-E-65mm-1-5x-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

The butterflies above were mostly taken at 1:1 which means I couldn't get more in the photo if I tried..... which is why it would be nice to have 100mm L for some alternative shots.

Last edited:
Back