Buy with confidence from Jessops

I don't see the argument, simply a statement of opinions and facts based upon our own experiences.

As opposed to stupid comments about a companies with similar names. To me, that's what's [removed before I get my wrists slapped too]. :)

Last edited:
hmmmm... just thankful that

a) Jessops have "chosen not to stock Pentax anymore"...... though a fairly reputable Pentax source insists that they, Pentax, didn't want to supply Jessops anymore

b) I use Pentax so Jessops are therefore not an option with me.

c) WE is less than 30 mins away and after a problem with an ex demo K20d, an email and a chat with the MD, and my suggestion of an obvious resolution, they replaced it next day.

I am sure there are good Jessops guys (and gals) in many a Jessops store, however seems there are also a lot of people emplyed by them who don't know the difference betwen Canon and a cannon.

My latest experience in Norwich, whilst other half wa sbuying half of Chapelfield (also not the apple store) was akin to this

young sales bod: "Can I help you?"
me - looking at filters: " I doubt it, but let's give it a try"
ysb: "Ok, what are you looking for"
me - "72mm 10 stop ND."
ysb: "oh. What does that do I don't know anything about filters."
me- "I was right then"

Our local shop is excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly :)
I bought my 100-400L from there more than 2 years ago and the lad that sold it to me still asks how I'm getting on with it
I dont know what some people expect from shop staff who are on minimum wage .
I do agree though if they upped their game a bit and paid the staff more and trained them better they would do well
Pete

Just like PC World, know hardly anything about computers just cheap kid labour on the minimum wage in smart shirts that look the part. If i want to know anything i either ask on here or go to LCE in Lincoln :)

If you don't like the Jessops thread don't post in it ... Very simple really :clap: ..

If i don't like a topic i stay away from it :thinking:

No offence meant ..

But this started because they told me they had reparied it only to find they hadn't touched it ..

(y)

Yip, thats life... hmm not interested, dont want to hear it....I know... I will get everyone else to stop and be like me:shrug:

Its like my old man, he hates politicians to the extent of chest pains, yet still insists on watching them to reinforce his dislike. Dad turn over, switch it off!

Any bets on how long they will survive?? I give them till end of the year at the latest....

It's anyones guess , however since the delisting each shop is carrying £97000 of debt. You would need a vast turnover and eye watering margins just to pay off the interest alone.

My guess is that that some major camera manufacturers are pooing their pants, having got in to hock with such a company.

Most of my friends in the trade cannot understand how Jessups can defy business gravity and have come to the only conclusion their can be , that Adams ( the current chairman) has levereged the major camera companys to such an extent that they dare not supply, because if Jessups goes bust they will be dragged down with them.

Intresetingly enough my spies tell me that there will be another 'cull. of branches as we move through the year possibly another twenty.

Well if anything else was needed to show how incompetent Jessops are ..

Now bearing in mind i sent a 5d for repair .... :D

I had a letter today saying

Following your conversation ..

if you wish your canon eos 5d AND EF24 - 105 LENS REPAIRED , Cost will be £214 ... :shrug: .. What 24 - 105 .. that is sat at home fine and well !!

Still when i get my camera back i can now say WHERE IS MY 24 - 105 LENS ..... (y)

WELL DONE JESSOPS :clap:

Well if anything else was needed to show how incompetent Jessops are ..

Now bearing in mind i sent a 5d for repair .... :D

I had a letter today saying

Following your conversation ..

if you wish your canon eos 5d AND EF24 - 105 LENS REPAIRED , Cost will be £214 ... :shrug: .. What 24 - 105 .. that is sat at home fine and well !!

Still when i get my camera back i can now say WHERE IS MY 24 - 105 LENS ..... (y)

WELL DONE JESSOPS :clap:

As your camera would have been sent off for repair via its original purchase receipt the repair response field would have been generated by the description on that receipt. So it's not great leap of faith to think your way through how that could have been sent.

But hay! Good luck with claiming that extra 24-105 :wacky:

As your camera would have been sent off for repair via its original purchase receipt the repair response field would have been generated by the description on that receipt. So it's not great leap of faith to think your way through how that could have been sent.

But hay! Good luck with claiming that extra 24-105 :wacky:

Yep and on that receipt it says Eos 5d and 24 - 105 ..... i purchaced it as a kit ... Still as you didn't know what was on the receipt maybe you work for jessops and didn't think to look in the box :shrug:

I am however pointing out how , they jessops don't have a clue .. :bonk:

I like Jessops as its a chain store that stocks a massive amount of cameras and accessories - I dont care about their advice, even if its good. I can see why some people would want their advice but as far as I'm concerned the majority of people on this forum would just be grateful there is a brick and mortar shop that can be found in nearly every major town/city that can just about get their hands on anything you want.

Try doing the same from Tescos/SuperMarketgs/Currys/Electrical chain stores.

I mean come on, if I was buying a washing machine from Comet I wouldn't ask for the appropriate spin cycle at 40 degrees.

I mean come on, if I was buying a washing machine from Comet I wouldn't ask for the appropriate spin cycle at 40 degrees.

However if you brought it from comet , you would expect them to deal with your complaint ... :rules:

However if you brought it from comet , you would expect them to deal with your complaint ... :rules:

Of course, however my post is relating to the usual 'Jessops know nothing' bandwagon that appears that usually has nothing to do with the OP. As for the vitriol loaded response of the so called customer manager at Jessops I would have sent in a written complaint immediately if it was true.

Some people seem to get a perverse kick out of continually slagging Jessops off, if you don't like them, then shop elsewhere. I have never had any problems dealing with them and as for those asking their staff advice, I can only say Do you ask the girl on the checkout at Tesco advice on how best to cook your fillet steak?

When all of you who hate Jessops have put off the rest of the country from buying from them, then they will close down.

And when they have closed down where will you go to try out new kit? Other than Jessops and one small independant there's nothing else around my part of the world. Warehouse Express is the next nearest at about 60 miles.

The majority of my kit comes from Jessops. One small reason is knowing that I can take a lens back straight away if it's not up to scratch. That is one reason why I think it's worth paying a little extra. The staff in my local are mostly very knowledgeable and, secondly are very good photographers. Taking the time to get to know them, have a chat about your needs and talking about suitable alternatives is not something you'll get from Amazon! I also think they are pretty good on price. Maybe not the cheapest (although they are occassionally) but they're not usually far away.

I know some Jessops staff are behind on their knowledge. So are the staff in most retailers in the country. I've spoken to staff in Warehouse Express who had less knowledge than myself. Same in Jacobs. Same in LCE etc etc etc. But it's not about who knows what. If I want to buy something then I find out about it myself before I go into a store. And then finding out that I know more than them proves nothing. It may give some of you a sense of smug self-satisfaction but it doesn't do anything for me.

If I had my way I would put a stop to threads like this. Because I personally will miss the high street photography shop. Just like I miss the good old fashioned record shops, electrical shops, hi-fi shops etc etc. Next time you're in town and realise you've forgotten your memory card or need a different filter don't moan when there's no Jessops to pop into.

One last thing. Some if your are obsessed with the "idiots" that populate Jessops. Maybe you should check some of your own grammar before you start calling other people idiots. People in glass houses.......

Some people seem to get a perverse kick out of continually slagging Jessops off, if you don't like them, then shop elsewhere. I have never had any problems dealing with them and as for those asking their staff advice, I can only say Do you ask the girl on the checkout at Tesco advice on how best to cook your fillet steak?

:LOL::LOL:

I suspect some of these people do. And then ring Terry Leahy when it's too tough or burnt ;)

And when they have closed down where will you go to try out new kit?

Wilkinson Cameras. Same as I do now. :)

Re: Asking staff for advice...

I don't ask them for advice. I ask them to get me a product so I can give them some cash. I know what I want and I'm not going to waste an hour of their time for a £10 sale. Most of the time even that appeared too difficult.

Last edited:
Wilkinson Cameras. Same as I do now. :)

Re: Asking staff for advice...

I don't ask them for advice. I ask them to get me a product so I can give them some cash. I know what I want and I'm not going to waste an hour of their time for a £10 sale. Most of the time even that appeared too difficult.

Where are Wilkinson cameras??

Interesting that not every one likes Wilkinsons. Must be dependent on who you get in the shop, a bit like Jessops. :shrug: Oh, and the rating is over stated because one of the positive reviews is referring to somone wanting a bigger selection of dog beds :LOL:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews109308.html

Interesting that not every one likes Wilkinsons.
Interesting that those that complained are both Canon shooters. ;)

Well
i went to jessops to buy my 5D because at the time they had a good deal .......... I didn't need to ask them advice as i found all the advice i wanted elsewhere ...

But the way they have handled my complaint sucks :shake: .

They have had my 5d since sep / oct .. and yesterday sent two letters ..
one i have mentioned ..

The other was asking if i want an estimate on my 5d and if i do it will be £25 .... They have already done the estimate .... They need to put their house in order ......... if they did then maybe they would not be a company in trouble ... So it has nothing to do with my dislike for Jessops .. I shop where i get the best deal and best after sales service simple as that .. I own around 10k of photography gear .. And could probably sit on the other end of a phone and give advice .. If that is what they are employed to do then that is what they should be able to offer a customer ... Their CEO claims they are all photography experts .... (y)

Yeah Right! Like every boss tells you they have highly skilled, highly motivated workforce and you believe that too, do you?

Yeah Right! Like every boss tells you they have highly skilled, highly motivated workforce and you believe that too, do you?

I don't need to believe it .... good after sales and customer service should be a given ... :shrug:

After all this is a photography web site ... I give my clients the best , before after and beyond .. (y)

Don't you !!!

Rog (y)

I really dont know why some people have such a grudge against Jessops? The people who moan about the service are normally the ones who will then buy online as they can save an extra £5 - Service costs money! Jessops could get 'better staff' or spend more on training but then the costs would go up and they would not be competitive.

I really dont know why some people have such a grudge against Jessops? The people who moan about the service are normally the ones who will then buy online as they can save an extra £5 - Service costs money! Jessops could get 'better staff' or spend more on training but then the costs would go up and they would not be competitive.

People who don't shop at Jessops , don't have a right to moan about it .
I however have spent £1000's with them .. So i feel i do have the right :shrug: ..

If i can save alot of cash i might shop round , but i would sooner pay a little more and get the right support .... In my case with jessops this has not happened .. (y)

What about people who've tried to spent £1000s with them but just get completely ignored by the staff? :)

And if they were all over you, you'd moan about that instead.

Nope, if I went in to spend money, and somebody came up and said "Hi there, if I can help you with anything, please let me know", I'd be perfectly happy. I'd say "Well, actually..." and let them know what I wanted, or I'd say thank you and have a look around.

Nope, if I went in to spend money, and somebody came up and said "Hi there, if I can help you with anything, please let me know", I'd be perfectly happy. I'd say "Well, actually..." and let them know what I wanted, or I'd say thank you and have a look around.

Me too ..

Now what my complaint is about is the letters from them and phone calls

On hold to talk to Tina A ... who is Customer Liaison for an hr and a half .. we put the phone down and wrote to her ...

No reply ... I phoned her again and got through .. She said Oh i am no longer Customer Liaison .. Your letter must have got lost .. So she put us on to someone else just as helpful ..

I asked if he would write to us with the new repair estimate .. One letter came back saying it was £25 for an estimate ... When we already have an estimate ..

The other letter was from Tina A .. signed Customer Liaison ..

Now i'm sorry but these are just people who should not be in Customer Liaison if they are just going to tell blatant lies to save having a hard day :shake:

Have you had many trouble free dealings with Jessops in the past? If so would you put this down as that 1 in a 1000 problem and continue to use them in the future or shop elsewhere? Because their prices are still going to be as attractive to you as they have been in the past, and as you mentioned previously this seeme to be your main priority?

Who was that in response to?

and as you mentioned previously this seeme to be your main priority?
That's not everyone. Wilkinson Camera's isn't always the cheapest, but I go there anyway most of the time if they sell what I want.

I have no problems with Wilkinsons every time I've been there I've found them to be very helpful, as I have with Jessops. My main point is as I said originally Some people just seem hell bent on putting Jessops down and banging on about how many bad experiences they've had dealing with them. If I'd had such a bad run-in with a shop I just wouldn't deal with them again, simple as that, not keep going back for more punishment just because they're saving a couple of quid. I reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Lisa wires a cup cake up to the mains and Bart just keeps trying to grab it.

I quit going back for more punishment long ago. Doesn't mean I can't relate my experiences with them to others.

Back