Buying a new Canon 17-55 2.8

TonyNI

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Buying this from Jessops does anyone know of any discount codes that will work now that hasn't expired??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Any reason you're buying from Jessops? There are certainly cheaper places out there - have you contacted Kerso?

Have you had a look on topcashback or quidco to see if there are any moneyback offers. Or MSE is quite good for discount codes.

Also check other suppliers obviously!

They're doing it for £759 and I was thinking of getting it on finance. Just would like abit of money off as I think its alot of money to be spending (the same price as I paid for the camera itself!)

Had a look at that cashback site but couldnt see anything.

4% cashback with Quidco at jessops.

They're doing it for £759 and I was thinking of getting it on finance.
Kerso is quite a bit cheaper than that (I have a 2 week old price list here), He doesn't do finance though...

It's normal to spend the same, if not more on the lenses. What camera did you buy?

On the last price list I got from Kerso (about a month ago), he was charging £675, but if finance is essential to you, Jessops isn't a bad shout if you use Quidco. Make sure you check the Quidco cashback has tracked ok, I've had to query the last two transactions I made with them.

I have the canon 550D. Own 3 lenses with it, 50mm 1.8 / 18-55 kit lens and 28-105 USM II. I find i really only use the 50mm 1.8 for the most part as I'm unhappy with the optically quality of the other lenses. I actually find the 18-55 is sharper than the 28-105. Just want a great all rounder lens :)

Just want a great all rounder lens :)
If you're happy with the slower speeds of the lenses, but not happy with their performance, take a look at the 15-85 IS. Around £200 cheaper than the 17-55 and every bit as sharp (although not as fast...). That's what we've gone with for our walkabout lens on a 7D.

That's the lens I was looking at in comparison to the 17-55. I like the look of it alot. Is the sharpness consistent throughout the focal range? I've heard good things about it.Which lens is bigger and heavier of the 2? Thanks for the replies

I've got the 15-85mm, very impressed with it and would recommend, even though I've only used it once. The 17-55 is slightly heavier, only by about 75g though.

With the 17-55 being a fixed aperture does that mean when you zoom while shooting video you don't get the clicking sound?I thought my camera or lens was faulty until the camera in work done the same thing in video mode

Sorry, can't help with that as I've got a 40D, which doesn't have video.

is it just me or is the 15-85 giving better results lol

Have a look at: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-15-85mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

and: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-15-85mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Comparisons.aspx

where you can see comparisons at different apertures and focal lengths.

As to the clicking, that's normally the IS system being recorded. Try it with the IS switched off. The only way around this is to use an external microphone.

With fixed aperture you don't get the iris twitch as it changes when you zoom when taking video.I found this quite annoying as there is an associated glitch in exposure and a light clicking as the blades close down.

i just sold my 15-85, and i'm in the process of deciding between either a 17-55 or 24-70f2.8 the lure of the fixed aperture is important to me.

completely misread that chart. 17-55 definitely slightly better. I was considering the 24-70 2.8 but don't like the effect the 1.6* crop factor has on it

If you're happy with the slower speeds of the lenses, but not happy with their performance, take a look at the 15-85 IS. Around £200 cheaper than the 17-55 and every bit as sharp (although not as fast...). That's what we've gone with for our walkabout lens on a 7D.

Personally I'd say the 17-55 is sharper, and probably better built. Unless I'm shooting long, the 17-55 hardly ever comes off of my 7D.

Steve

I'd say there's very little in it sharpness wise and the real world tests in the comparison are a little more telling. Our choice was reach over aperture - 15-85 is just too nice to have when you're doing a roadtrip around Arizona/California in August ;) :D I think it will near enough be the only lens on the 7D for that trip...

Back