Buying within the UK.

Edit My Images
Yes
With businesses closing and money leeching out of the country left, right & centre, I just did something I haven't done for a while: instead of hunting for the lowest cost reliable seller (e.g. a certain off-shore, some might say UK-tax-dodging, company originally known for selling books online, or any of the other dubious off-shore importers), I chose to pay about 15% more and bought from a UK company that pays UK tax.

Anyone else think like this or have I seen too many Union flags on the telly today?

Last edited:
I'm the same, especially when grocery shopping. Always go for UK produce over imports

I try to buy British as much as possible - especially food, which is one of the reasons I hate Tesco, far too much foreign meat and veg. I am currently buying 2 packs of asparagus a week, but come the end of the season (mid to late June) I will not buy any more until April.

With businesses closing and money leeching out of the country left, right & centre, I just did something I haven't done for a while: instead of hunting for the lowest cost reliable seller (e.g. a certain off-shore, some might say UK-tax-dodging, company originally known for selling books online, or any of the other dubious off-shore importers), I chose to pay about 15% more and bought from a UK company that pays UK tax.

Anyone else think like this or have I seen too many Union flags on the telly today?

No - it's good to buy UK produce, (where available), from UK suppliers :clap:

You are certainly not alone, we buy all our meat from a local butcher and all veg from a farm shop just up the road. Both use only local suppliers and the produce we get is tastier and less expensive than the likes of Tesco (who I also detest), I just wish more people would do the same but unfortunately they are either lazy and/or incompetent and rely on heavily processed ready meals which work out more expensive.

I buy from Tesco because it's cheaper, they have a wider selection of what I want to buy, I don't buy/eat processed food, Tesco are open 24hrs so I can stop off at 04:30 am on my way to the gym before work if I need to, rather than at 14:30 in the afternoon when on my way home from work and I don't have time to stop for shopping.
Whilst you may feel that all local businesses etc. deserve your custom, don't all the people working in supermarkets deserve jobs.

Maybe I'm just a grump, but no thanks to more tax
Dont get me started on our glorious government officials, with all expenses paid (usually first class and 5 star), second homes, free mortgages etc etc
Or the dubious bunch of bankers (yep, perfect rhyming slang) with redundancies, closing branches and shorter opening hours while still grasping big bonuses and high dividends and refusing to support small businesses and house buyers while the MPs tell us we're all in it together :wacky:

And the incompitence (or downright dodgy brown envelope deals) of procurement in whitehall, the NHS, local councils
And it'll only go to support more hand ringers in Health & safety :puke:
or
put another way, if I bought a nice d700 from the net for £1600, that'd add £240 to the government gravy train, rather than a few nice filters or part of a nice new lens. Just a plain, simple, no thanks

And I like Tesco too :razz:

And breathe..... :LOL:

Maybe I'm just a grump, but no thanks to more tax
Dont get me started on our glorious government officials, with all expenses paid (usually first class and 5 star), second homes, free mortgages etc etc
Or the dubious bunch of bankers (yep, perfect rhyming slang) with redundancies, closing branches and shorter opening hours while still grasping big bonuses and high dividends and refusing to support small businesses and house buyers while the MPs tell us we're all in it together :wacky:

And the incompitence (or downright dodgy brown envelope deals) of procurement in whitehall, the NHS, local councils
And it'll only go to support more hand ringers in Health & safety :puke:
or
put another way, if I bought a nice d700 from the net for £1600, that'd add £240 to the government gravy train, rather than a few nice filters or part of a nice new lens. Just a plain, simple, no thanks

And I like Tesco too :razz:

And breathe..... :LOL:

You can not possibly be more of a grump then me, or some others on here, and I laud your sentiments - especially the NHS/Local council bits.........however.

UK retailers, and I do include my most hated blue/white/red logo thievery in that, employ UK people and have to pay UK tax - some of which does go to better the UK.

When the local high street is completely empty, except for banks and estate agents, who sadly are also suffering, we will all reminisce on the 'good old days' of actually getting off our bottoms and going shopping instead of trying to save a penny by buying it on-line........from someone with zero overhead content who employs as few people as possible.

Oh for the days of queuing in the supermarket and then actually talking to a cashier........instead of swearing at the automated check-out :shake:

You can not possibly be more of a grump then me, or some others on here, and I laud your sentiments - especially the NHS/Local council bits.........however.

UK retailers, and I do include my most hated blue/white/red logo thievery in that, employ UK people and have to pay UK tax - some of which does go to better the UK.

When the local high street is completely empty, except for banks and estate agents, who sadly are also suffering, we will all reminisce on the 'good old days' of actually getting off our bottoms and going shopping instead of trying to save a penny by buying it on-line........from someone with zero overhead content who employs as few people as possible.

Oh for the days of queuing in the supermarket and then actually talking to a cashier........instead of swearing at the automated check-out :shake:

I honestly believe the high street shops, just like any other small business is being choked by taxation and stupid regulations, backed up in triplicate by some jobsworth with a non-job, with the problem heightened by the banks unconditional greed and self preservation
Chosing to pay an extra 15% for the privelage to support the assylum that is the british economy and government bodies, is not for me (by choice)
(y)

I agree that taxation is causing more of an issue than the government tell us it is.

Chosing to pay an extra 15% for the privelage to support the assylum that is the british economy and government bodies, is not for me (by choice)

So we'll all just let it go to the wall instead, or expect someone else to pick up the pieces eh?! :shrug:

I can't afford to care where my stuff comes from, UK if possible, but usually just can't justify the price.

BruceMo said:
I honestly believe the high street shops, just like any other small business is being choked by taxation and stupid regulations, backed up in triplicate by some jobsworth with a non-job, with the problem heightened by the banks unconditional greed and self preservation
(y)

Well then why live in this country, by all means feel free to move away and live in one if these other wonderful countries where it is do much better.

Last edited:
wibbly said:
So we'll all just let it go to the wall instead, or expect someone else to pick up the pieces eh?! :shrug:

Let it go to the wall?
When we have elected MPs behaving like playboys and still stealing from the public purse, mass unemployment while public servants moan and threaten strikes dailly, even though everyone recognises a need for prudence, bankers sacking thousands of workers to pay bonuses and dividends . And old peoples homes closing, cancer suferers not getting treatment they need as its too expensive, managers increasing, while nursing levels drop, and junkies and alcoholics getting special "treatment" costing billions?????
And thats not even going into the privelaged crooks in westminster and our worth every penny euro MPs!
The country needs a shakeup not more tax

I've always followed the rule of supporting my local stores over the Internet and chains, especially when we are running even shorter now on any decent shops where I live that aren't discount, charity or take away food stores.

Households struggle just as much as shops do.
Why should households compromise their ability to survive tough times by not trying to save where they can?
Slating people because they have little to spend is a little insensitive I feel.

Households struggle just as much as shops do.
Why should households compromise their ability to survive tough times by not trying to save where they can?
Slating people because they have little to spend is a little insensitive I feel.

Exactly, I have to look after my own pennies to the best of my ability, I have more immediate people relying on me to do this, sadly it's up to others to do likewise with their own.

I may buy a steak or something from the butchers, but in general I can't afford to be that choosy and TBH, I haven't got the time. The supermarkets provide everything I need and I'm an ALDI convert, as they do most things for cheaper. I rarely read if it's a product of the UK or not - if it looks good quality and tastes quality, I'll keep buying it. So long as it's not horrifically salt-laden processed tripe, my morals about buying UK-only go out the window....

Just bought Michael Freeman's book, "A photographer's eye" - I was surprised to see Waterstones have it at the same price as Amazon :clap: but I would have been willing to spend an extra £ or two regardless.

Last edited:
ZoneV said:
Just bought Michael Freeman's book, "A photographer's eye" - I was surprised to see Waterstones have it at the same price as Amazon :clap: but I would have been willing to spend an extra £ or two regardless.

Saying this, I am usually willing to buy something I can get on the high street over Internet orders if it's only a couple of pounds difference, simply for convenience and how quick I can get it!

I'll gladly spend more money in the high street if it means I get to have it that day.

I'll gladly spend more money in the high street if it means I get to have it that day.

Well if you have to have it that day, not really much choice is there......... :shrug: :wacky:

Amazon and co are quick, but yet to see same day....

Well if you have to have it that day, not really much choice is there......... :shrug: :wacky:

Amazon and co are quick, but yet to see same day....

You've misread my post; I didn't say I had to have it that day. Nowhere does it imply an imperative.

Last edited:
I would love to buy from local butchers etc but cannot afford the prices :( I do however always try to buy british produce from the supermarket where I can and would rather have a veggie meal than have imported meat. In the summer months I try to 'pick your own' when possible.

(y)

This is precisely the attitude that has created the basket case called Greece. I suggest you move there.

This is precisely the attitude that has created the basket case called Greece. I suggest you move there.

So nothing to do with the banking sector chrisis, or the euro economy in general, Wow what an ego
You honestly want to suggest where I live?

And in my opinion, what really goosed Greece, is that most people avoid paying any taxes whatsoever, not where they shopped

And as I'm fully up to date with my taxes and NI contributions, contribute to the economy with fuel, labour, materials, tools and employment, would moving abroad help any?

I dont want to contribute to MPs 5* accomodation, 1st class travel, pay their food and a full pension after one term. I dont want to support the backhanders in procurement and tendering. I dont want to support junkies getting methadone and alcoholics getting enhanced benefits so they can lounge all day while my graft pays for it.
But I do
I just dont want to donate any more
Would you like to suggest what I have for tea, or how many pints I have when I'm out, guru?

I would love to buy from local butchers etc but cannot afford the prices :( I do however always try to buy british produce from the supermarket where I can and would rather have a veggie meal than have imported meat. In the summer months I try to 'pick your own' when possible.

Some of the blame with farmers there. Our local farm is alright but have seen many a con from them. Perfect example on a recently aired tv program from Channel 4. (the idea was to get a supermarket to use local i.e. UK produce)

Dairy farm was shown 'paying' someone to come in and despatch male calfs upto 24 hours after birth as they were "worthless" the farmer said. As soon as some one is interested in the meat its all of a suden £4.50+ a lb. Not so worthless then..

I have to save money on a low income as working part time and have 2 children. Local farm shop does meat cheaper than supermarkets (asda, sainsburys etc) always buy veg etc in small quantities and when can when reduced.

Everything else is a hunt for the cheapest. I don't like the experience of shops, hounded by staff etc rather be left alone and in the comfort of my own home.

Let it go to the wall?
When we have elected MPs behaving like playboys and still stealing from the public purse, mass unemployment while public servants moan and threaten strikes dailly, even though everyone recognises a need for prudence, bankers sacking thousands of workers to pay bonuses and dividends . And old peoples homes closing, cancer suferers not getting treatment they need as its too expensive, managers increasing, while nursing levels drop, and junkies and alcoholics getting special "treatment" costing billions?????
And thats not even going into the privelaged crooks in westminster and our worth every penny euro MPs!
The country needs a shakeup not more tax

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Back