Critique Buzzard take off

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
I have always struggled with this bird,ha probably always will. I always find getting any detail really hard and also never seem to really get even close to what I want unless the sun is shining,red kites I have similar probs with,

This guy is one of a number ground feeding,I think worms are their target on a specific field,there can be ten feeding here and the odd kite now and again as it happens.It's a bit weird though as this type of feeding I have always associated with winter. The worms shouldn't really be coming up to the surface on a hot dry day methinks. Field maybe has been sprayed so therein might be the answer.

If any of you learned horrible lot:D would care to share any thoughts on what is actually happening here i'd be very grateful.
For now here is a guy that spotted something prey wise ,still think worm, flew directly towards us landed gave me chance to swap exts for reach to the 2X and the following couple of take off shots. Slight crops for comp. Overal a really cool chance they are almost always up so to be able to get something lower was lovely

_70F6830 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F6831 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

crit very very welcome much to learn, cheers for all the previous thoughts

Stu

was the field on a slope Stu? - straighten up the horizontal?

dirt spot on sensor - seen on image #1

slight over saturation - canon cloudy

you could reduce the bg noise

noise is affecting ultimate clarity - did you need 1/6400th sec?

although you have frozen the movement, the above, particularly the noise issue has degraded the image

Last edited:
Yup it was but yes you ARE right

I know again sloppy I should of removed that Bill

Bill I didn't actually look for noise,and will confess to not really being sure what is the lowest SS I could use to freeze wing tips. Probably the best chance I've had mate so was playing a bit safe I wanted it all as sharp as possible. I guess i'm trying to be realistic with my abilities,motion blur on wingtips can look very cool,but I feel I need to be much more skilled before I venture there especially on rarer chances like this. First almost Bill at eye level. They are common enough loads here but close, low and some light is a rare thing for me

Now the over saturation shouldn't be Bill i've used the eye dropper on the primary in first image edited that one then copied that receipe to the second unless I have botched something,very plausible today mate not in great shape hence being here now.But that part should be in the ballpark

Bill,i'm very aware of canons "warmth" I no longer use any of their presets tis either the eye dropper or colour temp,very very occasionally I leave alone when I feel things are right. i'd also say I have a leaning to go warmer than I should,that one is a constant appraisal keeping myself in check.

Buddy ,ultimate clarity could well be compromised here by atmospheric conditions,heat hazes all ways this day . That is not a cop out but it might just be what you are picking up on,obviously no selective sharpening etc

Good stuff Bill sincere thanks for your points,always appreciated your honest bro tis how we learn

many thanks hope your good buddy

stu

These look very good to me with a 2x fitted Stu, not showing extensive loss of detail in the feathers.
Buzzards will take worms or any small insects and where there is a abundance they will fairly happily co-exist feeding ... as for worms rising following spraying, I think it would have to have been recent and if the usual slurry spray you would have known! :eek:

Good with a 2x if on canon. Buzzards are usually worming if on open ground and will happily coexist with others and kites. Another possibility is a hatch of or movement to surface of soil prior to hatch of an insect like the leather jacket which could be present in considerable numbers.

Last week saw unto 20 kites feeding on ground with 4 or 5 buzzards in a field where the sheep were finishing off the root crop and were probably exposing grubs etc as they chewed below ground level. 2 days later there was not a kite or buzzard to be seen.

Regen

These look very good to me with a 2x fitted Stu, not showing extensive loss of detail in the feathers.
Buzzards will take worms or any small insects and where there is a abundance they will fairly happily co-exist feeding ... as for worms rising following spraying, I think it would have to have been recent and if the usual slurry spray you would have known! :eek:

Cheers mate,roger alot of effort has gone into trying to find away to get that 2X working,I'm me and unsure about everything,but the feedback is giving me confidence. No tis not slurry:D tis a chemical probably glyphosate that is being used to kill all weed growth before plough on left winter stubbles. I'm very aware that I can find congregations of these raptors nailing small beasties in the more winter months,just haven't seen it this late before when there is warmth and a dry surface.that is the bit that has thrown me mate
cheers for the reply buddy much gratitude as always

stu

Good with a 2x if on canon. Buzzards are usually worming if on open ground and will happily coexist with others and kites. Another possibility is a hatch of or movement to surface of soil prior to hatch of an insect like the leather jacket which could be present in considerable numbers.

Last week saw unto 20 kites feeding on ground with 4 or 5 buzzards in a field where the sheep were finishing off the root crop and were probably exposing grubs etc as they chewed below ground level. 2 days later there was not a kite or buzzard to be seen.

Regen
Yes canon 2xiii specifically and maybe finally dialed in properly,seems that way at the very least. Leather jackets is a great call mate cheers,I really think it is worms here,this bird flew to us I grabbed a few frames with the 1.4 ext iii atached. On landing it took something,I'm 95% certain a worm but missed the take, by well, tenths of a second so certainty evaes me slightly I'm sure I saw that ,but without proof.
Be that as it may your post is great buddy learnt a bit more from it thank you !! The sheep I haven't clocked so more to look out for,the leather jackets crane fly learvea I hadn't twigged either.

It doesn't matter how long one spends in the field,there is and will always be someone that knows either a bit more or has knowledge one doesn't. wicked stuff buddy:cool:

Last night I watched a female hare kill a males advances not by socking him one on the nose( the boxing shots I've tried for now for weeks) but by spraying him with urine,If the sun hadn't of dropped 5 mins ealier I'd maybe have something better to show,maybe I'll show it anyway just from the behaviour aspect,But no where have I ever read about that, Who has seen it? Maybe you are the guy that has, I'd lay a bet not many other have!! Insane tonight my lass saw the same thing. Hours and hours of chasing and then bam something utterly new always something to learn mate cheers for the input:)

stu

Similar experience but these are better ones of buzzards than I have managed so far so congrats!
Pete sorry buddy I'm apt to miss things ,please forgive got very lucky!! Peter, I hope this passes forwards now to you and you get yours,There is enough of them about,but damn a tricky one to get something one likes of

good hunting mate

Stu

Number 2, looking at it on flickr and zoomed in looks just amazing. Focus is spot on. And plenty enough detail for me!

What a shot!

I am out tomorrow Stuart to try for buzzards and if I can get any as good as yours I shall be well pleased. Well done sir :clap::clap::clap::clap:(y)

Number 2, looking at it on flickr and zoomed in looks just amazing. Focus is spot on. And plenty enough detail for me!

What a shot!
Thomas that's really kind,in all honestly ,I feel that with time i'll be able to extract a bit more from these images,i'm only processing in DPP,so it's only really a raw conversion you are viewing. Ha ha picky blighters us bird guys,but it's good folks like Bill Roger et al push us forwards help us to be better,to me tht is the best part of being on these forums,how much one learns and how freely other togs help each other. It's cool being part of all this.
thanks again mate

Stu

I am out tomorrow Stuart to try for buzzards and if I can get any as good as yours I shall be well pleased. Well done sir :clap::clap::clap::clap:(y)

Then good sir I wish you all the luck in the world. Cheers Charlie,for something that I see daily I can't believe how tricky they are.,This bird gave me just a bit more than this,although sadly a bit further out,I'll try and get some up shortly,but so damn pressed for time. I've been in for around ten mins necked a cup o char and now we are off to try again for these boxing hares it's insane the effort that goes into wildlife images,it gives one real respect for the pros. Actually when this particular guy was flying straight at us we were both amazed by how dark it looked in the pics,considering it's chest is quite light in colour,really interesting I know it was the same bird,but if I didn't actually know ,I'd swear they were different birds

many thanks buddy again

all the luck:)

Stu

Hi Stu,

Cracking effort mate. No. 2 for me, as the wings are outstretched.

Nice and sharp, with a 2x tc attached too? That is impressive. My 2x tc is almost never used now as I just can't get a sharp image with it, even in really good light. Maybe it's an incompatibility with my D500, have a backup D3S now so I'll try it on that this weekend.

Regarding the images : I'd remove the dust bunny in the first (it's the first thing I saw lol) and I'd (personally) clone out the rock in both pics. They both look like they need levelling too?

You said it was 1/6400, which is crazily fast to use with big birds, but if you want no motion blur in the pic then you've done the job (y) It's great that you have a camera that can cope with noise really well (y)

No.2 : I would also have given it more space above and removed a bit of foreground.

Very good though :)

Last edited:
Hi Stu,

Cracking effort mate. No. 2 for me, as the wings are outstretched.

Nice and sharp, with a 2x tc attached too? That is impressive. My 2x tc is almost never used now as I just can't get a sharp image with it, even in really good light. Maybe it's an incompatibility with my D500, have a backup D3S now so I'll try it on that this weekend.

Regarding the images : I'd remove the dust bunny in the first (it's the first thing I saw lol) and I'd (personally) clone out the rock in both pics. They both look like they need levelling too?

You said it was 1/6400, which is crazily fast to use with big birds, but if you want no motion blur in the pic then you've done the job (y) It's great that you have a camera that can cope with noise really well (y)

No.2 : I would also have given it more space above and removed a bit of foreground.

Very good though :)

Great constructive crit Wez cheers bro(y). All very good and fair points,I know about the dust bunnies there is two up there,just bloody sloppy not sorting them ,the rock is a good shout good eyes mate framing is old git being too damn slow LMAO damn they jump a bit I almost read it.

Wez it's taken me almost two years to really start getting something folks think is ok IQ wise from the 2X. Obviously I'm a big factor in that I'm grinding away learning and feel progressing ,but i'm slower than a tortoise going backwards:D,digi isn't an easy thing for me to grasp. For a long long time that question over did I have me gear set up right me being a learner, outweighed my wonders about wheter the 2X was compatable.

Mate in canon the 2X I use the latest mark iii, is specifically designed for the later mark ii lenses,the latest pro cameras also have adaptations to make focus faster etc ,I believe. I have the older 2.8. So there was a niggle about compatability. But always in the back of my head is the fact that this lens is reputed to be one of canons best lenses they have ever made. So if it's as good as everyone says then surely somehow i've always sort of felt I can make all this work. I spent ages one rainy day mfa ing the set up. I don't have all the proper gear Wez did a DIY job after reading as much as poss. Don't even know if the protracted nature of what I did had something to do with me getting there. Focus is much slower mate but it appears finally i'm in the ballpark. Buddy persrvere a bit there are so many concerns about the 2X which I feel surround both canon and Nikon,but these companies make amazing technically advanced tools,to me finding a way might be doable.

Wez,I'm blessed ,not only am I getting fantastic help here ,but also post on another forum,the guys there are lovely,The images they make blind me sooo good and they are also incredibly kind and giving especially one guy. I'm being schooled to push iso get shutter speeds up,Unless I am deaths door light wise my shutter speeds at this stage in my learner pathway are probably always on the bloody high side:D. If I have the light my shutter is high,not so much and my iso will be up there to get as much SS as poss.I noted recently until this recent spat of good weather my low iso is 1600. I am rarely dropping belwo that now if I'm honest. I am completely happy shooting at 2500 ,3200/6400 not quite comfy yet,somewhere betixt those specs is where my 1Div losses IQ due to noise,'erm I think???? If I nail ETTR then noise ain't so bad,also it needs saying I am not yet able to use more advanced NR. I'm really just showing a base RAW conversion,no selective shapening either. There is no polish to my images mate,so if they aren't close to sharp folks see it same with noise,even at web sizes

Wez I've waffld on a bit about SS and high iso,although I'm learning on a monster scale it is becomming apparent that if I get the exposure right detail isn't being compromised too much with my tool kit by using higher isos,in fact I rarely shoot at what folks think of as more nomal iso. You can and obviously everone else as well judge that bit for youreself. Why i've laboured this mate is I wonder if you try pushing that shutter and iso,you are more advanced than me so exposure you'll have a good handle on,more than normal with the 2X,maybe just maybe this is helping me.

Buddy I freely admit i'm no expert you know this,but beyond dialing the damn thing in how much are these techniques I'm being taught and using effecting my IQ??? Moreso are the helping with the 2X aswell

Wez all the luck,I'm a simple guy I use tools mate give me a brush I can paint give me some wood ill make ya just about anything. To me this togging lark is the same I have to learn how to get the absolute best from my tool kit a damn complicated tool kit I am only grasping the basics of as yet. One day i'll dare say i'll hanker for the expertise to use slower SS to creatively enhance motion blur create the illusion of movement etc,but for me now I want sharp,
The wicked thing is now I can use 600mm I can't always be a sneaky bugger ,if my subject is on land I don't have access too I need reach as I simply can't get closer. It's a complete joy for me to have this option finally buddy that I feel I can produce something that is on the way with the IQ. There are real world issues of focus speed and quantity of light to address and be aware of,sure but even wide open I feel I can now have a crack at 600mm and get something I'm cool with IQ wise

Have another bash mate try some of this,all this gear has it's idiosyncrasies it would be cool for you to have this option,although as always caviat of learner talking applies something seems to be working now though huh:)

Thanks buddy a little effort to try and give a bit back,the 2X is the cheepest option for reach it's great to have it with me now,I'd want that for anyone who has applicable tools

belucky kiddo

stu

Nice captures Stu, especially #2 where you have captured it as it just takes off. Shows the bird in better form than #1 IMHO.
On my work laptop I cannot see the dust or the noise, or maybe its just my eyes!!
TFS

Nice captures Stu, especially #2 where you have captured it as it just takes off. Shows the bird in better form than #1 IMHO.
On my work laptop I cannot see the dust or the noise, or maybe its just my eyes!!
TFS

Thank you john first image up top third of the way in two dust bunnies,if that helps.I need a sensor clean mate,but am a bit stuck can't spend might have to have an op consequence of that might be a long time out of work,tis a mare . NR is tricky John at this time,I am stuck with global processing and I know that will degrade IQ on my subject. John not being able to yet access selective processing means I present images that will never be as sharp as what they can be,I guess there is a bit of physcological stuff going on here,i'm so desparate to present something sharp,this probably is pervading my whole mindset.

That said my goal was always to get it right in camera learn that bit first graft at it. Slowly it's coming John,but at times my inability is crushing. I bumble into situations and suddenly I have wildlife gold(TO ME ) in front of me and mess up,slow but sure though the mess ups are getting fewer. Ha ha see me "Hares" thread the yawn says it all,much to learn John

cheers for your time mate

Stu

Back