BWC Meet

Name
Christine
Edit My Images
Yes
T'was a bit chilly and dull today but enjoyed myself regardless and great to put faces to names at long last

1. Squirrel, classic pose but its tail got blown off course a little
1/200 sec at f/5.6 ,ISO 1000
IMG_4508.jpg

2. Shaking Otter
1/500 sec at f/5.6 ,ISO 1600
IMG_4542.jpg

3. Cute Polecat
1/320 sec at f/5.6 ,ISO 1000
IMG_4558.jpg

4. Stoat - this was the one I was most pleased with as it just would NOT stay still and moved very fast and being inside the lighting was very poor. Only the briefest of glimpses but Got It!
1/200 sec at f/2.8 ,ISO 4000
IMG_4580.jpg

Great shots Christine - especially the last one ...... patience pays in the end :)

Just about to check the few I took out. Thanks for organising the meet Ingrid, it was nice to see everyone.

Only a twenty minute delay on the M25 car park due to something or other but otherwise an easy run home. Tea was being cooked and almost on the table as I walked through the front door, so the day has been rounded off nicely :clap:

Di

Thanks to all who came, pictures can be added here so we keep them all in one place :D

Last edited:
There are some cracking images guys (y)
I've not even down loaded mine yet.

And one of Cobra getting some tips...
PMSL well caught
(you sod :p)

love the BWC is that a new red squirrel enclosure? couldnt walk through the last time i went
Yep its all open Ian (y)

Looks like it was a good day..some great pics. I'm off to whipsnade tomorrow to console myself lol

Some great pics folks, considering the weather/light. (y)
Here are a few of mine - nothing special, but at least I did take some pics on a tp meet!

1. Couldn't get a decent pic of the fox - kneeling down shooting through the wire mesh with my shaky hands was never going to be a winner.

IMG_3875s by tappilappi, on Flickr

2. Polecat sniffing the air for the food bucket - just wish it had kept it's nose still!

IMG_4012s by tappilappi, on Flickr

3. Otter pic would have been much improved if I could have shot from ground level - unfortunately there was a fence there!

IMG_3935s by tappilappi, on Flickr

4. Quite like this otter portrait - but I should have used a smaller aperture to get the whole of the head in focus. :bonk:

IMG_3918s by tappilappi, on Flickr

5. As per the previous pic - needed a smaller aperture to get the body more in focus.

IMG_3838s by tappilappi, on Flickr

6. Even though this pic has the same shallow DOF as others, I think it "works" a bit better - perhaps because of the eye contact? (Plus it is rather cute!)

IMG_3818s by tappilappi, on Flickr​

All in all, BWC is well worth a visit - I will definitely be going back, but at a time when the light is more suited to photography. Long lenses are not a necessity, all of these were shot with a 70-200mm. Exif should be intact, or it can be found on the flickr links.

British Wildlife Centre, lingfield, Surrey.

Some really good pictures here, Dale love the dirty nose squirrel :LOL: (y)

A big thanks to Ingrid for organising this meet. Good to see some members from previous meets and see some new faces.

As mentioned, not the best weather for photography with high ISO etc. but managed a few average shots. Certainly wets the appetite for another visit. Those reds definately move faster than the greys around our local woods.

IMG_1942 by Fazer, on Flickr

IMG_1949 by Fazer, on Flickr

IMG_1970 by Fazer, on Flickr

IMG_1997 by Fazer, on Flickr

Think I will go though and pick my favourites from the sets posted so far

Mike's Kestrel with its feathers all ruffled as if it has not yet groomed itself after getting out of bed. Did not see this at all yesterday, kept hiding from me.

Dale - the fox is good and love the caption with the squirrel and Cobra but the one that really stands out for me is the muddy nosed squirrel (could maybe do with a little bit of sharpening?) it is gorgeous and my favourite of all I have seen so far - I saw this one but could not get far enough away for a shot

Gary - yes my squirrel does look fat doesn't it . I like the Wildcat but my favourite once again is the squirrel - nice and sharp and with the glint in its eye

Mike - the one of Janet should maybe entitled "you keep her occupied while I check her pockets"

Tim - in spite of the angle I like the full body shot of the otter - and the final squirrel because of it slight tilt of the head which gives it a really cute expression. Difficult to pick between them but I think it would be the otter that wins for me.

Di - The second squirrel that looks like it has found some cheese, the first is a beautiful pose but the background does not quite do it justice

John - all those captive wild animals and my favourite of yours is the Chaffinch all puffed up to keep warm. Lovely shot

Have I killed this thread by actually commenting on everyone's sets, is is a place for just showing your pictures or looking and commenting on other people's as well? At one time it seemed that everyone got comments and made comments as well, now the feedback and critique section seems to be primarily post and run ! :D

I made it there today, prompted by Reidy (Mark) to make the effort and came away with a few shots to make the trip worthwhile. We also bumped into Ingrid there who kindly helped us with the daunting task of navigating the place. A few of my pics....

1. Aren't I just adorable?
20121230_112326_5413_LR.jpg

2. Taxi!
20121230_114118_3902_LR.jpg

3. Where's that bus?
20121230_121947_3920_LR.jpg

20121230_130346_3994_LR.jpg

5. It's in here somewhere.
20121230_130907_5433_LR.jpg

6. I'd rather be a pole cat than a pole dancer.
20121230_140613_4005_LR.jpg

Tim,
Good to see you again. Shame you went when you did as had a few more half decent ones. The pine martens finally came out to play and after spending about 30 minutes there, got one that i decided could stay and not go in the delete bin. The other pine marten called Bonny, finally showed her face when the owl display started and managed to get her as well.

Currently putting the 240 photos through Lightroom (slow PC so may be a few days.....lol)

Ingrid, thank you for the White Balance tip, wish i had been told earlier, looks like will have to make another trip there now.

Have I killed this thread by actually commenting on everyone's sets, is is a place for just showing your pictures or looking and commenting on other people's as well? At one time it seemed that everyone got comments and made comments as well, now the feedback and critique section seems to be primarily post and run ! :D

It's sunday Christine and a bank holiday, I was out all day and I expect others were to, give them a chance ;)

I made it there today, prompted by Reidy (Mark) to make the effort and came away with a few shots to make the trip worthwhile. We also bumped into Ingrid there who kindly helped us with the daunting task of navigating the place. A few of my pics....

Never saw your post in the meeting thread Tim, was going elsewhere and changed plans, good to catch up and glad I didn't jinx the car this time :p

You didn't manage to sharpen up the weasel pic then? :LOL:

That polecat pole dancer is just so cute

Tim,
Ingrid, thank you for the White Balance tip, wish i had been told earlier, looks like will have to make another trip there now.

Addictive isn't it, sorry I was tied up trying to teach to odd blokes how to take pictures of fast moving creatures :p

Glad Bonny finally came out for you, she was being stubborn :(

Addictive isn't it, sorry I was tied up trying to teach to odd blokes how to take pictures of fast moving creatures :p

Glad Bonny finally came out for you, she was being stubborn :(

Bit of luck on my part. She was obviously inquisitive about the noise due to the owl display and I turned round at the right moment. I got the other pine marten as well, not as good as I wanted but took me another 15 minutes after you left.

I did manage to get one of the guy next door, rubbish background though

047 by Ingrid Nicholls, on Flickr

I did manage to get one of the guy next door, rubbish background though

047 by Ingrid Nicholls, on Flickr

My patience did pay off, little did the Pine Marten know he was up against somebody who can sit for days on end fishing, waiting for one bite, so i would win :clap:
I managed to get this:

Oh no, he finally got me by Smallbreamboy, on Flickr

Again, not the best background, but one of the only places to get a decent shot.

Love the photos

Keriok - That squirrel is excellent

Mike - Nice capture of the kestral

Braveboy - love the fox

Tappilappi - Also love the fox and the squirrel with his paw on his chest

Di - Love the composition of the squirrel on the tree stump

tdodd - Is that first squirrel smiling? The fox is simply glorious

Ingrid - love the otter, rare to see them dry

Think I will go though and pick my favourites from the sets posted so far

Mike's Kestrel with its feathers all ruffled as if it has not yet groomed itself after getting out of bed. Did not see this at all yesterday, kept hiding from me.

Dale - the fox is good and love the caption with the squirrel and Cobra but the one that really stands out for me is the muddy nosed squirrel (could maybe do with a little bit of sharpening?) it is gorgeous and my favourite of all I have seen so far - I saw this one but could not get far enough away for a shot

Gary - yes my squirrel does look fat doesn't it . I like the Wildcat but my favourite once again is the squirrel - nice and sharp and with the glint in its eye

Mike - the one of Janet should maybe entitled "you keep her occupied while I check her pockets"

Tim - in spite of the angle I like the full body shot of the otter - and the final squirrel because of it slight tilt of the head which gives it a really cute expression. Difficult to pick between them but I think it would be the otter that wins for me.

Di - The second squirrel that looks like it has found some cheese, the first is a beautiful pose but the background does not quite do it justice

John - all those captive wild animals and my favourite of yours is the Chaffinch all puffed up to keep warm. Lovely shot

thanks christine, the kestrel keeper came and left some food for him and dale and i waited for a shot. he kept flying around the cage and eventually settled on the branch so we just sneaked in a bit closer and took our chance. :D

just one more:D

short clawed otter by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back