Cactus Stamen

ooooh nice colours there George. (y)

nice colours very shallow dof on the purple bit ! maybe a small apeture used f2 or similar ?

nice colours very shallow dof on the purple bit ! maybe a small apeture used f2 or similar ?

Many thanks holty, appreciate your comments.(y)

It was shot at 1/250th @ F16. Focal length 200mm (300mm on my X-T1) plus a Raynox MSN 202 which = approx 4 times magnification. Hence the very limited DOF. Flash was used for the light source.

George.

Another really nice result, think I may like this more, but it's a close thing. The lighting works anyway

Many thanks Andrew, appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Nice work George. I don't think this shows the lighting off as well as your other post. It's difficult to see what it's doing with those fine furry bits. I think it might be a touch over sharpened, but again it's difficult to tell. Nice composition, my only complaint is the light fall off at the back. I would prefer to see some colour back there, but something that would contrast with the background to keep it popping out :)

Nice work George. I don't think this shows the lighting off as well as your other post. It's difficult to see what it's doing with those fine furry bits. I think it might be a touch over sharpened, but again it's difficult to tell. Nice composition, my only complaint is the light fall off at the back. I would prefer to see some colour back there, but something that would contrast with the background to keep it popping out :)

Thanks for those comments Tim, they are much appreciated.(y)

Agreed maybe just a tad over sharpened looking at the shot on here, it's strange how we all see things differently and our own preferences come to the fore as I deliberately darkened the background in LR to make the main subject really pop and show up the fine bits of the stamen even more than SOOC.:)

I'm hoping maybe tomorrow to get cracking some more on my new lighting setup, I've decided to make several bounce reflectors of varying sizes by way of a modular system where by I can quickly change the reflectors to accommodate different degrees of magnification ie a larger reflector for shooting at lower mags' to give a larger coverage of light, and smaller reflectors for higher mags' when a large coverage of light is not required. That way I should end up with approximately very similar lighting for each subject and the smaller reflector will effectively have more power to counteract the extra light loss through using a higher magnification (tubes etc). Anyway that's how it all works out if my mathematics are correct, that's the way I work things out in the studio usually with a good success rate.

George.

Hi George,

Another interesting macro shot, the only issue I have is the amount of oof bits on the stamen the in focus are sporadic which confuses me some what.

Hi George,

Another interesting macro shot, the only issue I have is the amount of oof bits on the stamen the in focus are sporadic which confuses me some what.

Many thanks Bryn, much appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Lovely shot, George.

Many thanks Kurt, your comments are very much appreciated.(y)

This type of photography (Macro/Close Up) is all a huge learning curve for me as I've only ventured into it over that past few months but I'm pretty confident that I'm making progress albeit a little slowly as I just don't have the time to devote as much to it as I would like.

(I'm actually visiting your country towards the end of March this year for the Grand Prix which I'm looking forward to very much as I've never been to Malaysia before)

George.

Back