Calling all Landscape togs..!!!" & anyone that knows the isle of skye"

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys I am doing a roadtrip up to the isle of skye in a few months time. I will only be there for a half day on the friday all day on the sat and the sunday morning...

Now what I wondering is what are the main locations I should aim for .? does anyone have any spots they would /could reccomend " I have been told about a few places (y)".

I have a few filters only soft grad ones I will be getting some more at focus on imaging soon. What are the best grads for seascapes ?:shrug:

The lads going are all portraits togs " well ones a widlife tog but we will put up with him.:LOL:."

Any advice welcome (y)

If you dont wish to share a location with the world you could always pm me

Kind regards

MD(y)

Last edited:
There is an awesome road that goes round the coast over the north of the island. There are loads of places to stop and the scenery is breath taking. In portree if you go down to the waterfront you can see the mountains in the distance and again a very nice site. But the coast road is a must. Most beautiful sites I've ever seen

The Quirang, The Storr, there are superb views of the Cuillin from Elgol and Sligachan.

To be honest there are so many locations on Skye that you can't really go wrong, the coastal road around the island does give you access to some excellent locations. I have a soft spot for Sligachan myself looking up to the Black Cullin.

:clap:

Thanks alot guys . I will note those spots down on my planner..

I just hope I manage to get some half decents shots.. Ill be shooting rain or shine :naughty:

MD(y)

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch
Elgol (Cuillin Views)
Ord (Cuillin Views)
Tokavaig (Cuillin Views)
Loch Slapin nr Torrin (Bla Bheinn Views)
Claigan Coral Beaches
The Quirang
The Storr
Neist Point
Fairy Pools (Glen Brittle)
Camasunary (walk over)

Loads of places really but the above are all well known without undertaking an expedition

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch
Elgol (Cuillin Views)
Ord (Cuillin Views)
Tokavaig (Cuillin Views)
Loch Slapin nr Torrin (Bla Bheinn Views)
Claigan Coral Beaches
The Quirang
The Storr
Neist Point
Fairy Pools (Glen Brittle)
Camasunary (walk over)

Loads of places really but the above are all well known without undertaking an expedition

Cheers Phil That lot should keep my scotish driver very busy..:D

Kind regards Dave(y)

No problem Dave

I should have added - Small as it may be - like much of the Highlands - Skye can take longer to get around than you may think so whilst there's loads of amazing locations - with limited time you can soon find yourself dashing around like a headless chicken getting the light and time of day all wrong.

With that in mind - If time is an issue and you get just one dedicated day...my tip would be to take the B8083 early out of Broadford village and with the time / light in mind.....

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch - is just a few miles down the road and in addition to the loch and it's backdrop of Beinn na Caillich - there's a great wee deserted church Cill Chroisd (Christ's Church or "Kilchrist"). Too many folk whizz past on the way to Elgol so be sure to stop if your early enough to catch the lovely morning light.

If you're early enough then don't feel rushed as next is Torrin and the shores of Loch Slapin which offer great views of Bla Bheinn (Blaven) and eventually you will will reach the end of the road at Elgol offering great sea views to the Cuillin with good afternoon light or later sunsets.

Weather permitting of course lol

Last edited:
No problem Dave

I should have added - Small as it may be - like much of the Highlands - Skye can take longer to get around than you may think so whilst there's loads of amazing locations - with limited time you can soon find yourself dashing around like a headless chicken getting the light and time of day all wrong.

With that in mind - If time is an issue and you get just one dedicated day...my tip would be to take the B8083 early out of Broadford village and with the time / light in mind.....

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch - is just a few miles down the road and in addition to the loch and it's backdrop of Beinn na Caillich - there's a great wee deserted church Cill Chroisd (Christ's Church or "Kilchrist"). Too many folk whizz past on the way to Elgol so be sure to stop if your early enough to catch the lovely morning light.

If you're early enough then don't feel rushed as next is Torrin and the shores of Loch Slapin which offer great views of Bla Bheinn (Blaven) and eventually you will will reach the end of the road at Elgol offering great sea views to the Cuillin with good afternoon light or later sunsets.

:clap: Phil your a star and that sounds like a great start to our saturday(y)

Macky :cautious: You will be in the back and the only way the windows open is if I do it from the front so be nice :naughty:

You know what I mean:LOL:

Dave(y)

I hope you get the weather- I've been to Skye three times now and it's rained everytime- I've never even seen the Cullins yet!(properly):crying: Went a couple of years ago to do the ridge in a day and optimistically set off in light rain with the belief (from a forecast) that it should lift-3 hrs later and we were in a monsoon and abandoned:LOL:

So, fingers crossed for you- there is so much to photograph everywhere- even in Portree, there's rows of colourfull houses etc - you just can't go wrong on Skye but you need the weather.

I hope you get the weather- I've been to Skye three times now and it's rained everytime- I've never even seen the Cullins yet!(properly):crying: Went a couple of years ago to do the ridge in a day and optimistically set off in light rain with the belief (from a forecast) that it should lift-3 hrs later and we were in a monsoon and abandoned:LOL:

So, fingers crossed for you- there is so much to photograph everywhere- even in Portree, there's rows of colourfull houses etc - you just can't go wrong on Skye but you need the weather.

I will do my best & whatever I get will be on here about a week after.:LOL:

Not going till the weekend at the end of april so fingers crossed...(y)

" I would on the theory if there's no light make it black & white" ;)

MD:wave:

Soft grads are fine, dont bother with hard ones for Skye as the land isnt flat enough.
The best seascape location on Skye is score bay near duntulm. You need to check tide times though, if its at or getting near high tide at sunset then its worth the trip.

If the weather is dull/rainy then waterfalls are your best bet (fairy pools or Sligachan). If its a bit mixed then you should still get something at Elgol sunset.
If its flat calm with reflections then loch cill chriosd is the place to be.
Quiraing sunrise is highly recommended if not too cloudy but you will have a long trip to get there from where you are based.

Your biggest problem will be trying to cover too much area in one day, so I'd have a plan a, b or c according to the conditions.

I'm supposed to be away that week, but if I dont go then I'll give you a shout (y)

Maybe the best person to speak too, would be our very own "photographer of the year"... canon togger (maria) she, I think is from the very place ... checkout the home page of TP above for more details (y)

Sounds a fun trip Dave lol, anyone know of a broken down pier / jetty or anything of the sort in Skye. Something for a strong B&W conversion.

Not sure about a broken down pier Chris, but i sure hope Daves mean machine doesnt break down :LOL::LOL:

Carbost pier (past Talisker distillery) is a bit broken down. But its due to be renovated/repaired soon I think.

Sounds a fun trip Dave lol, anyone know of a broken down pier / jetty or anything of the sort in Skye. Something for a strong B&W conversion.

I like your thinking Cris:D

Not sure about a broken down pier Chris, but i sure hope Daves mean machine doesnt break down :LOL::LOL:

The passion wagon ill be fine :love: I am even bringing a mechanic with me :LOL:

Carbost pier (past Talisker distillery) is a bit broken down. But its due to be renovated/repaired soon I think.

Thank you again for your helpful advice..

:LOL:

Only the welsh contingent to say hello now.....:LOL:
MD(y)

No problem Dave

This is pretty much spot on. The walk over to Camasunary can take some time - it is a rough track. The road down to Elgol is single track with passing spaces and the drop to Elgol harbour is very steep. With good light you will spend much time there. It may be only 12-15 miles from Broadford but it will take 45 mins each way just to drive it.

Fishing boats near Elgol, Skye by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Camasunary will be a 40 min walk each way over a small pass.

The wee ruined church is a good subject, as is the loch at Torrin. There are plenty of other spots too along that road.

I would look very carefully at a map and work out where the sun will be coming from to get the best of the angles.

Quirang is great in almost all weathers. Expect a minimum 20-30 minute walk each way from the car park. Late afternoon hazy sun is great there.

If you have time after leaving Skye head over Ratagan pass to visit the Brochs. Again they take a lot of getting to (more single track with passing spaces) but there are good photo locations all the way along the road and the brochs are superb.

You don't have enough time. The weather will play against you. You will want to come back again and again. Have fun, take a tripod and wet weather gear.

..d

I'm more concerned about me having a breakdown from listening to Dave singing to take that for 5 or more hours! :puke:
Dont forget your cd's matey...

and more like 12.5 hours :LOL:

Dont forget your cd's matey...

and more like 12.5 hours :LOL:

You mean it has a cd player fitted i thought it was just a wind up radio taped to the dash mate, Thank god im only jumping in at Perth :LOL:

Back