Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

Why not go for the Sony 11-18 and then the 17-50 Tamron not forgetting Sony's new 16-50 which is getting rave reviews.

SussexBlue said:
Why not go for the Sony 11-18 and then the 17-50 Tamron not forgetting Sony's new 16-50 which is getting rave reviews.

Yep. On a crop body I'd definitely want to try the 16-50, before splashing out on the CZ 24-70. The CZ, as good as it is, isn't the best option for a "standard" zoom on APS-C and it's very heavy for general walkaround lens.

What body is it going on? IMO, the CZ is a bit unbalanced on the small bodies (a33/35/55).

I think of the ultra wides the Tokina 11-16mm gets among the best reviews. It's available in Alpha mount. For all-rounders the Sony 16-105mm is popular, also for a superzoom look at the Sony 18-250mm.

Last edited:
Hi i shoot with an a390 and mostly use my kit 18-55 lens and just wondered where the sweet spot on this lens it to make my images as sharp as they can be when shooting landscapes?

Cheers

Hi i shoot with an a390 and mostly use my kit 18-55 lens and just wondered where the sweet spot on this lens it to make my images as sharp as they can be when shooting landscapes?

Cheers

Hi Martyn,

The kit lens isn't renowned for it's sharpness. To get the best results you should be using a tripod and shooting at quite narrow apertures.

Do you have any example image of something you've took which isn't as sharp as you would like?

Cheers

Hi Martyn,

The kit lens isn't renowned for it's sharpness. To get the best results you should be using a tripod and shooting at quite narrow apertures.

Do you have any example image of something you've took which isn't as sharp as you would like?

Cheers

Ill get one up when im back from work yeah i always shoot with a tripod if it allows

How narrow we talking f16 or it that too far for this lens

Ill get one up when im back from work yeah i always shoot with a tripod if it allows

How narrow we talking f16 or it that too far for this lens

A lens is generally at it's sharpest 2 or 3 stops narrower than it's largest aperture. I use that lightly. It's much talked about, an example being that my 70-200 2.8 is said to be at it's sharpest around f/4 - f/5.6.

Aperture also has an effect on your depth of field too though, shooting wide open reduces the depth of field you are getting, thus this may be the reason that you feel the picture isn't sharp.

There's always post processing too. An 'out of the camera' shot generally isn't sharp - do a google search for 'photoshop lab colour sharpening'. Great technique, really easy to do and is quite effective.

Well I did it.. Just bought an A55 with Sony 50mm f1.4 and various other bits from Digitalrev. Does anyone else have this combo?

NickTB said:
Well I did it.. Just bought an A55 with Sony 50mm f1.4 and various other bits from Digitalrev. Does anyone else have this combo?

I have that combo, but can't use it as my 50/1.4 back focuses too much. Got a 50/1.8 just for the 55, although I still use the 1.4 on my a850.

The size of the a55 is ideal for smallish primes IMO. I hardly ever put zooms on mine.

I have that combo, but can't use it as my 50/1.4 back focuses too much. Got a 50/1.8 just for the 55, although I still use the 1.4 on my a850.

The size of the a55 is ideal for smallish primes IMO. I hardly ever put zooms on mine.

I have briefly read up on this back focusing issue. What does that entail?

NickTB said:
I have briefly read up on this back focusing issue. What does that entail?

Essentially it means the lens focusses behind where the camera thinks the focus is. It's why higher end bodies allow the AF to be fine-tuned for each lens. About 30% of my lenses require some micro focus adjustment on my a850.

To quickly test, set the cam on a tripod and aim at a static target (a flat surface parallel to the sensor plane). AF and shoot, then repeat using MF (helps if you use MF focus zoom on the a55).

If there's a difference in sharpness, you MIGHT, have a calibration issue.

Ah I see.. Now there's a whole can of worms as I bought it from Digitalrev! Hopefully it'll be ok or I'll be without the camera for a while!

NickTB said:
Ah I see.. Now there's a whole can of worms as I bought it from Digitalrev! Hopefully it'll be ok or I'll be without the camera for a while!

Well, if one lens is "off" on your body, it would be wise to check how other lenses perform (to narrow down whether it's the body or lens) before sending anything off for recalibration.

I wouldnt worry too much. Minor AF calibration issues will only be noticeable in certain circumstances and MF will always be spot on.

Well, if one lens is "off" on your body, it would be wise to check how other lenses perform (to narrow down whether it's the body or lens) before sending anything off for recalibration.

I wouldnt worry too much. Minor AF calibration issues will only be noticeable in certain circumstances and MF will always be spot on.

That makes me feel better. It's always a worry when you purchase from overseas!

I've got some but don't use them, I can't find a way to dial down the power on the HV 36 flash so have resorted to using a HV20 to control it wirelessly on my A900, they only cost £17 on the bay and work fine

Yeah i read about using a HVL20 to trigger on the A850 and A900, dont think you can use it to fire a flash wirelessly on an A700.

The problem i've been having is lately ive been taking a lot of photos for a friend who converts VW T5 vans, so shooting mostly in bad light after work, off camera flash, using the pop up as a trigger, but what ive found is the pop up causing a hard shadow caused, i think, by the lend/hood.

I was always lead to believe that the pop up does not affect the exposure but from what ive found, especially when bouncing flash in a low lit area, that it will obviously light certain areas up and/or cause shadows.

I was always lead to believe that the pop up does not affect the exposure but from what ive found, especially when bouncing flash in a low lit area, that it will obviously light certain areas up and/or cause shadows.

Well the alternative would be to soften the harsh on board flash, I've heard some folks DIY a diffuser from an old transparent film can.

The costly alternative is to simply purchase the F58 flash (not sure if the F43am does it too) and use that as your commander flash.

I've got some but don't use them, I can't find a way to dial down the power on the HV 36 flash so have resorted to using a HV20 to control it wirelessly on my A900, they only cost £17 on the bay and work fine

HVL-F20AM for £17? Or do you mean something else?

Sorry the triggers were £17, I might put them on a sale thread for a tenner if anyone wants them

Can anyone recommend me a lens? I bought the A55 and the 50mm f1.4 which I'm loving already. I want something with a tiny bit more length. For example on my old d20 I never took off my 24-70. I loved it! Is there an equivalent out there? the only problem is, my budget is £200..

Cheers,

Nick

if you are happy with a prime then the 85/2.8 should be under £200 especially with cashback.
Optically very good but the build quality is light.

if you are happy with a prime then the 85/2.8 should be under £200 especially with cashback.
Optically very good but the build quality is light.

Prime is good. I have no real preference either way to be honest. I very rarely use full on zoom

Thanks John.
How you doing with the Sony? Used it yet? :)

Lol at the moment just trying to rig it up to a bellows with a 75mm E Minolta enlarger lens, looks ridiculous lol

As Scott says the 85/2.8 is another option if you check that sellers other items in the link I just posted, he's selling them at £139 !!!!!

I'd like to see the shots that produces!!

well got it all mounted up with the help of some cardboard tube and gaffer tape lol, gonna give it a try in the garden tomorrow as long as it's not to windy.

Hi all, just needing some advice on the Sony SLT range of cameras.

I'm a complete beginner in photography but have done some research on the cameras that i like and have narrowed it down to the Canon 550D or the Sony A35.

My worry with the SLT range of cameras is (please correct me if I'm wrong :shrug:) that they seem to be quite a new technology within the camera world and what would happen if this technology dies out (a bit like Blu-ray vs HD DVD)?? Or have they become quite popular meaning they will not stop making lenses for the SLT cameras anytime soon?

I understand about the 'when you buy a camera you buy into the system' philosophy i.e. lenses, but I'm just worried that if i purchase the A35 and buy lenses/accessories for this type of camera, when i come too upgrading in the next few years, is there a chance they could have stopped making this type of camera due to not taking off? If that makes sense :LOL:

I am only asking as if there is a chance Sony will stop making SLT cameras i may as well choose the Canon as they are firmly set as a big camera manufacturer!!

Sorry for the long post i just want to make sure i have covered everything before spending my hard earned cash!! :LOL:

Thanks
Scott

OK I'll correct you, SLT has been out for years and years, but Sony have taken the idea and used it effectively. As for lenses, it doesn't matter if it is SLT or SLR lenses are the same. Even if they did discontinue the SLT (don't think it will happen) you can still use them.

Not that I am a Sony fanboy but as an entry range camera I'd go for Sony over Canon any day, just take a look at this. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/645|0/(brand2)/Canon

My worry with the SLT range of cameras is (please correct me if I'm wrong :shrug:) that they seem to be quite a new technology within the camera world and what would happen if this technology dies out (a bit like Blu-ray vs HD DVD)?? Or have they become quite popular meaning they will not stop making lenses for the SLT cameras anytime soon?

I understand about the 'when you buy a camera you buy into the system' philosophy i.e. lenses, but I'm just worried that if i purchase the A35 and buy lenses/accessories for this type of camera, when i come too upgrading in the next few years, is there a chance they could have stopped making this type of camera due to not taking off? If that makes sense :LOL:

I am only asking as if there is a chance Sony will stop making SLT cameras i may as well choose the Canon as they are firmly set as a big camera manufacturer!!
technology continues to march on so, yes, Sony could stop SLT (indeed imo they will once on-sensor AF is perfected) - however, at that point I would suggest that will also obsolete all Canon & Nikon DSLR bodies too ...
For future lens production what is important is that the mount continues & not the technology around it.
(btw Sony is also a very large camera company, in fact no. 2 in total sales)

The lenses for the SLT cameras are a-mount, same as Sony's DSLRs and Minolta's SLRs and DSLRs from about 1985. So the mount is established (Minolta introduced a-mount when it introduced AF in SLRs, before Canon or Nikon ;) ) and even if Sony were to abandon SLT technology (which seems very unlikely, I think it's more likely Canikon will introduce it) and go back to SLR the mount should persist so your lenses would still work with whatever new body that follows.

OK I'll correct you, SLT has been out for years and years, but Sony have taken the idea and used it effectively. As for lenses, it doesn't matter if it is SLT or SLR lenses are the same. Even if they did discontinue the SLT (don't think it will happen) you can still use them.

Not that I am a Sony fanboy but as an entry range camera I'd go for Sony over Canon any day, just take a look at this. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/645|0/(brand2)/Canon

Thanks for that!
I am interested in the Sony's FPS rate which seems to be the best for entry level cameras.

technology continues to march on so, yes, Sony could stop SLT (indeed imo they will once on-sensor AF is perfected) - however, at that point I would suggest that will also obsolete all Canon & Nikon DSLR bodies too ...
For future lens production what is important is that the mount continues & not the technology around it.
(btw Sony is also a very large camera company, in fact no. 2 in total sales)

Thats good to know, i did not realise Sony were that big in the camera industry:LOL: Thanks!

Regarding Sony lenses, are they quite good quality compared to Canon/Nikon? I know they dont have IS in the lenses as the system is in the body so does this mean that the lenses are a little cheaper then Canon/Nikon?

Thanks
Scott

The lenses for the SLT cameras are a-mount, same as Sony's DSLRs and Minolta's SLRs and DSLRs from about 1985. So the mount is established (Minolta introduced a-mount when it introduced AF in SLRs, before Canon or Nikon ;) ) and even if Sony were to abandon SLT technology (which seems very unlikely, I think it's more likely Canikon will introduce it) and go back to SLR the mount should persist so your lenses would still work with whatever new body that follows.

Thanks for your reply!! You can tell im completely new to photography haha :LOL:

Back