Calling all Sony Alpha users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Russell. The DT lenses are designed to be used on APS-C cameras whereas the A900 is full frame. I think most Sony lenses are not DT though so it really shouldn't be that much of an issue. Likewise there shouldn't be too much of a problem with 3rd party lenses.

And no, you don't want to so that! ;)

Thanks for the information. The reviews of the D700 have been orgasmic, but I can wait til November for the A900.

if the above statement is to be true,then it could affect the following lens...

11-18 DT

16-80 zeiss

18-200 DT

18-250 DT

18-70 DT

55-200 DT

75-300 DT

so all the other top quality glass(which you would need on a full framed pro spec body ;)) should be okay....

and no, russell...you don't want to do that :eek::LOL:

Thanks for the information. If the 18-250 DT might be affected, what would you buy in its place?

personally..i wouldn't know,i've just quoted all the DT lens..of which the 16-80 zeiss is.it is stated in the blurb however,that it is ideally suited to APS-sized sensors........

Sony 11-18mm f4.5-5.6 DT AF Lens
With the capability to focus quickly and zoom from super-wide-angle to wide-angle, this Sony lens captures interior scenes with greater flexibility and handles fast action in close environments. Its DT design is ideally suited for the APS-size CCD imager of the Sony a (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera, and its 35mm-equivalent zoom range of 16.5mm to 27mm gives you wide latitude in framing and composition....

Ah well, wasn't planning on getting the 16-80. Oh, JPS has recently bought that lens. Is he planning on getting the A900? :p

Thanks for the information. The reviews of the D700 have been orgasmic, but I can wait til November for the A900.

Thanks for the information. If the 18-250 DT might be affected, what would you buy in its place?

personally,i wouldn't get a lens with that range,preffering to cover it with two lens..as i have done in the 17-70 sigma and the 70-200 F/2.8 G plus the 1.4X teleconverter (y)

as stated..if your going the full hog,then good glass would be a must i should think..

Ah well, wasn't planning on getting the 16-80. Oh, JPS has recently bought that lens. Is he planning on getting the A900? :p

On the box of the lens it states DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA so make of that what you will. As I said in a previous post, there is a fair bit vignetting from this lens even on the cropped A700 sensor.

On the box of the lens it states DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA so make of that what you will. As I said in a previous post, there is a fair bit vignetting from this lens even on the cropped A700 sensor.

Fair dos. Have to admit I'm not 100% convinced of the benefit of the A900 over the A700 apart from Full Frame. Seriously thinking of getting a second A700 body and giving the A100 to the missus.

when the A900 hits the shelves,i may get the A700 to accompany the A350.or should i get now with the sony cashback offer on until (i think)the 21st of september...

When I got my A700 it was on the day the 1st cashback offer started. I didn't even know until the guy in the shop phoned me on my way home to tell me (He had only just opened his post!). That offer was until January this year. thear have been a few since, so there will probably be more.

When I got my A700 it was on the day the 1st cashback offer started. I didn't even know until the guy in the shop phoned me on my way home to tell me (He had only just opened his post!). That offer was until January this year. thear have been a few since, so there will probably be more.

cheers for that...i'll have to run it past the missus first though :bat: :bat::eek:

i'll also need the 300 F/2.8 to go with it ...

:LOL:

Nah, she'll be fine. After what you've spent, a new A700 body will be like nipping out for a newspaper! :D

Edit: Just seen your edit! It's been a blast, have you opted for burial or cremation!!

personally,i wouldn't get a lens with that range,preffering to cover it with two lens..as i have done in the 17-70 sigma and the 70-200 F/2.8 G plus the 1.4X teleconverter (y)

as stated..if your going the full hog,then good glass would be a must i should think..

You're right, good glass will be the order of the day. You not tempted to get a nifty fifty?

I can confirm, just had a look at my 16-80 ZA lens and it reads:
vario-sonnar DT 3,5-4,5/16-80 ZA

:bang:

I can confirm, just had a look at my 16-80 ZA lens and it reads:
vario-sonnar DT 3,5-4,5/16-80 ZA

:bang:

Never mind. Get yourself an A900 anyway and send the 16-80 over to me. I'll give it a good home. :D

I only got it last week and have no intention of going a900, I'll just wait for the a700's to start hitting ebay. :clap:

Lens choice help please:

Which of the three (I know how long is a piece of string):

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX DG MACRO HSM II
Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO
Sony 70-300 F4.5 -5.6 G

:thinking:

My leaning is towards the Sigma as I could then get a matching Sigma 1.4x or 2x at a later date and boost it's range. But never tried a Sigma. I have a Tamron I like but that is a prime 90 2.8 and I have heard the Tamron zooms can be a bit slow and noisy. But then the sony is smaller...

Anyone had or heard of any comparisons? If anyone can rubbish at least one of the lenses it will help.

Mel:love:

Lens choice help please:

Which of the three (I know how long is a piece of string):

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX DG MACRO HSM II
Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO
Sony 70-300 F4.5 -5.6 G

:thinking:

My leaning is towards the Sigma as I could then get a matching Sigma 1.4x or 2x at a later date and boost it's range. But never tried a Sigma. I have a Tamron I like but that is a prime 90 2.8 and I have heard the Tamron zooms can be a bit slow and noisy. But then the sony is smaller...

Anyone had or heard of any comparisons? If anyone can rubbish at least one of the lenses it will help.

Mel:love:

if you can find one,let afford it..get the sigma 70-200 F/2.8.i've read reports on the tamrom which aren't to favourable,and the sony lens you've listed will be painfully slow at the long end.my weapon of choice would be(and is)the sony 70-200 F/2.8 G lens,but it's twice the price of the sigma....but you'll be welcome in the exclusive "white lens club" :LOL:

Well, as I've been declared the 'el presidente', I would say painting the Sigma white may let you into the club, but only if you paint it with tipex and then bring Corporal Stan a wagon wheel and bring me a bag of Minstrels to our next meeting.............

Oh goodie does the white lens club have meetings.... are there secret handshakes :hug: << Closest I could find to a secret handshake

I've not had too many chances to use my 70-200 in anger since I bought it. I took it out to Sherwood Forest last week and got a few shots but I've just had the bride of the last wedding I covered back in August order an extra 34 photos for her parents so I'm spending most of my spare time at the PC printing photos off. At least it brings in some more £££ for the bank.......

I have also been booked today to do the official photos again this year at the works Xmas do (in October) so they must have liked last years effort. Although I'll not be using the white lens for that night, but the 24-70 f2.8 will suffice I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back