calling Canon 1D Mk II owners!

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought one last week to replace my sold 40D as a back up to the 5D3, and for sports and...well because i always wanted a 1 series body!!:geek:
Used it this saturday with mixed results.
Always use the same set up with football, ie high speed cont, in AV, AI servo, single centre focus point, evaluative exp, same lens (70-200, 2.8L IS II), and BBF, but my 40D was getting far more keepers per match!
Obviously it was my first go with it so could be user error, and weather was much worse.
Am i using the best set up here anyway, and what would be the best way to set up the 1D?
Thanks

Moved to 1D3 now but I used to use a 1D2 in tandem with a 40D.

When you say mixed results and less keepers, are you talking about the IQ or do you mean inconsistent results with the focus ?

Moved to 1D3 now but I used to use a 1D2 in tandem with a 40D.

When you say mixed results and less keepers, are you talking about the IQ or do you mean inconsistent results with the focus ?

inconsisent focus.
Was thinking it might be me, as i seemed to get far more keepers with the more basic AF system of the 40D compared to my 5D3 and now the 1D MkII!!
Have a got the best set up as mentioned in the 1st post?

What's Cfn-21 set to?

If it's set to 1 then release priority will be enabled and the shot can be taken before focus is achieved.

Bob

is this setting also in the 5dm3???

Yes, it's been implemented on all higher spec bodies for the last 5 years or more.
For the 5D3, see pages 95, 96 and 98 of the user guide (which you will have already read ;)).

Bob

What's Cfn-21 set to?

If it's set to 1 then release priority will be enabled and the shot can be taken before focus is achieved.

Bob

it's set to 0. (replied last night, but obviously something wrong with my phone!)
Just been through the 200 pics from the football match and there's only around 30 that are good and sharp (in the areas i wanted!!) enough imo.
:thinking::thinking:
It was probably the fith or sixth match i'd shot and i was improving with every one until now.:bang:

When i was a Canon shooter i always used the Sports Illustrated settings as a starting point

http://www.siphoto.com/?canon1DM2.inc

At the top of the page theres a download to a file which automatically loads all the suggested settings, download this to a CF card and load to your camera, you will need to make the odd adjustment as the sprts illustrated file chooses a small file size but i never went wrong with this method, strangely SI stopped posting a file when Canon introduced the MKIII are screwed the AF up big style

When i was a Canon shooter i always used the Sports Illustrated settings as a starting point

At the top of the page theres a download to a file which automatically loads all the suggested settings, download this to a CF card and load to your camera, you will need to make the odd adjustment as the sprts illustrated file chooses a small file size but i never went wrong with this method, strangely SI stopped posting a file when Canon introduced the MKIII are screwed the AF up big style

very useful Gary, cheers.
Bit confused on how to do this part...", load this FILE onto your CF card into the root directory. Then use the "loading camera settings" menu option to load the file into your camera"

A couple of other things that i'm still trying to sort out that aren't covered in the manual;

1) the last owners name is still loaded in the camera, how can i change this to mine?

2) when connected via USB cable the camera is not recognised by EOS utility!
Do i need a firewire cable to connect? if yes, how can i connect one to my laptop as the fitting on the cable looks like it wont fit my Dell!

3) the manual mentions EOS viewer utility, but i can't find this on the Canon website/downloads!

Thanks again

very useful Gary, cheers.
Bit confused on how to do this part...", load this FILE onto your CF card into the root directory. Then use the "loading camera settings" menu option to load the file into your camera"

The root directory is the first directory/folder when you open the CF card in explorer, you need to go to the custom functions menu and select "load settings"

The root directory is the first directory/folder when you open the CF card in explorer, you need to go to the custom functions menu and select "load settings"

i'm getting a "no file on card" meassage when i itry to load setting in the camera menu,
Do you have to extract the downloaded file first? Windows cannot open it as it doesn't recognise the CSD file!

i'm getting a "no file on card" meassage when i itry to load setting in the camera menu,
Do you have to extract the downloaded file first? Windows cannot open it as it doesn't recognise the CSD file!

Just stick it in every folder then, you aso need to format card first

A couple of other things that i'm still trying to sort out that aren't covered in the manual;

1) the last owners name is still loaded in the camera, how can i change this to mine?

IIRC, this could only be done using the Firewire input on the MkII (unless it was altered in later firmware versions).

Bob

IIRC, this could only be done using the Firewire input on the MkII (unless it was altered in later firmware versions).

Bob

Thought that might be the case, so i've ordered a firewire cable.
Could also be why it's not being recognised in EOS Utility too!, that or as i've read in another thread, the 1D Mk II's software doesn't work on Windows 7 or later!

Could also be why it's not being recognised in EOS Utility too!, that or as i've read in another thread, the 1D Mk II's software doesn't work on Windows 7 or later!

That is likely to be the reason Carlo. When I owned a Mk11N I could never get firewire working with Win7, but there was no problem at all with XP.

Thats right change it with xp load the canon discs and you can change owners name there i to could only get it to work in xp

You need eos utility. Hopefully this url will work. It is version 2.7.3

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons...x?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-727693&page=4&type=download

I believe later versions of this app abandoned support for the 1d mk2.

Canon in their infinite wisdom didn't want people without the original discs installing from these downloaded installers so here is help on getting it to install if it complains. There are several methods to try depending on operating system and software...

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

and one here that i had to use since upgrading to win7 64bit
http://www.jayceooi.com/2009/10/05/install-canon-digital-photo-professional-updater-directly/

Once the camera is attached by firewire and recognised by the computer, there's a camera settings button (or similarly named) in eos utility with all sorts of options.

Change the author name in there and also i'd HIGHLY recommend unlocking all the custom functions that you need that aren't already. It's a bit of an archaic system but a lot of the advanced options in the camera can't be enabled until they're unlocked in eos utlity for some reason. Spend some time looking at all the options that you think may need in the future and unlock them in the app.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You need eos utility. Hopefully this url will work. It is version 2.7.3

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons...x?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-727693&page=4&type=download

I believe later versions of this app abandoned support for the 1d mk2.

Canon in their infinite wisdom didn't want people without the original discs installing from these downloaded installers so here is help on getting it to install if it complains. There are several methods to try depending on operating system and software...

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

and one here that i had to use since upgrading to win7 64bit
http://www.jayceooi.com/2009/10/05/install-canon-digital-photo-professional-updater-directly/

Once the camera is attached by firewire and recognised by the computer, there's a camera settings button (or similarly named) in eos utility with all sorts of options.

Change the author name in there and also i'd HIGHLY recommend unlocking all the custom functions that you need that aren't already. It's a bit of an archaic system but a lot of the advanced options in the camera can't be enabled until they're unlocked in eos utlity for some reason. Spend some time looking at all the options that you think may need in the future and unlock them in the app.

Hope this helps.

really appreciate your time and effort for the above.
I assume i'll have to delete my current version of EOS utility for this to work?

really appreciate your time and effort for the above.
I assume i'll have to delete my current version of EOS utility for this to work?

ah, it didn't help!
first link asked me to load original cd which i dont have and the others appear to be for the latest updaters!
I'm not great with workings of pc software and get easily confused!
I'll see if anyone could lend me their disc that came with their 1D Mk II/N

A member has offered to dig out his CD Rom that came with their 1D Mk II, but i also got an email back from Canon saying that the disc/software from the 7D is compatible with the camera on an XP system, so could always try to get one of those!

Yes, it's been implemented on all higher spec bodies for the last 5 years or more.
For the 5D3, see pages 95, 96 and 98 of the user guide (which you will have already read ;)).

Bob

cheers for that bob. i have been though it, but not in great depth.

cheers

shot two more football matches since the first post and still not happy with the results.
Surely this has a better AF system than the 40D it replaced??
Really frustrated! even wondering how much it'll cost to send to Canon for a service/AF check!
which are the authorised Canon repair centres? Fixation is one, can't remember the other two!.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you're not getting the results from this camera as it is a cracking body and focussing system.

I used one for 2 years doing motor sport and a superb hit rate with it....gotta be something simple! Is it worth posting up an image that you're not happy with?

Rob

I'm surprised you're not getting the results from this camera as it is a cracking body and focussing system.

I used one for 2 years doing motor sport and a superb hit rate with it....gotta be something simple! Is it worth posting up an image that you're not happy with?

Rob

I'll add one for you, noticed there's a awful lot of info in the exif data with this body!

10065383274_0531ba87d5_c.jpg
[/url]
MU7J0095 by Carlos575, on Flickr[/IMG]

only part in focus appears to be the boot in the left hand side of shot!!

It looks like there's a fair bit of back focus in that shot, Carl. The grass behind the player appears a fair bit sharper than the stuff under his feet.
If you take a shot in "one shot" and wide aperture do you see something similar?

Bob

It looks like there's a fair bit of back focus in that shot, Carl. The grass behind the player appears a fair bit sharper than the stuff under his feet.
If you take a shot in "one shot" and wide aperture do you see something similar?

Bob

yea, most aren't as bad as this, but lots are very soft and OOF.
Can you tell from the exif data that the set up is correct?
I'm heading back to thinking its user error now! think i need to go out this weekend to do more testing...another match as well!

Does the picture show where the focus point is in DPP (or whatever editing s/w you are using).
I found the 1D2 just about the best camera I ever had at hitting focus every time, in fact I waited for the 5D3 before moving on to something newer, because it was so good.
You dont have back focus on or an alternative focus point set do you? You know you can have two focus points set and switch quickly between either, forget how just now but its in the manual. Very useful it was if you wanted something off centre to focus on quickly with the option of switching instantly back to the other (centre usually) focus point.
Is it missing focus with all of your lenses?
I had one lens that was slightly off focus compared to my others but in general they were all brilliant.

Oh and I never got firewire to work either, it was a common problem apparently, the internal connector in the camera often went duff.

Right...got my old XP pc working, loaded the EOS solution disk kindly provided by sideshow alvie, plugged the camera in via firewire and....nowt! just a pop up saying USB device not recognised. tried looking for drivers, trouble shooting etc but no luck!
Oh well, thanks for all your help, looks like the firewire connections in the camera are kaput! so i wont be able to change the name in camera, i'll have to change MY name to Malcolm!!! :LOL:

...now to sort out the AF!

Right...got my old XP pc working, loaded the EOS solution disk kindly provided by sideshow alvie, plugged the camera in via firewire and....nowt! just a pop up saying USB device not recognised. tried looking for drivers, trouble shooting etc but no luck!
Oh well, thanks for all your help, looks like the firewire connections in the camera are kaput! so i wont be able to change the name in camera, i'll have to change MY name to Malcolm!!! :LOL:

...now to sort out the AF!

Sorry to ask this but if you had a popup saying "usb device not recognised" does that mean you plugged it into the usb port on your computer?
Firewire means having a firewire port on your computer too which is entirely a different thing. Just asking because i have read about people managing to plug firewire into usb ports before.

Also, the 1d2 servo tracking can take about half a second to get going to track moving subjects (but then it does it incredibly reliably when it's all working properly). Can be a slightly different technique compared to the latest cameras.
Activating AF and taking a photo at the same time and then stopping will not get the best results.

If you're using all AF points mode, try using single centre point to test.

Sorry to ask this but if you had a popup saying "usb device not recognised" does that mean you plugged it into the usb port on your computer?
Firewire means having a firewire port on your computer too which is entirely a different thing. Just asking because i have read about people managing to plug firewire into usb ports before.

Also, the 1d2 servo tracking can take about half a second to get going to track moving subjects (but then it does it incredibly reliably when it's all working properly). Can be a slightly different technique compared to the latest cameras.
Activating AF and taking a photo at the same time and then stopping will not get the best results.

If you're using all AF points mode, try using single centre point to test.

Ahhhh! i had to buy a firewire cable and i got a 4pin to USB as none of my laptops/pc's have a firewire port! this one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280388107756?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

will this be the problem then?
As for the AF taking 1/2 second to get going, you might be right there too!
More testing this weekend, and thanks for the advice

Right! i've realised the firewire/USB cable i bought was not compatible so only £1.50 wasted!
Now i have to find out how i can connect the 1D Mk II to my Dell optiplex 745 via firewire!
Been scouring ebay/amazon etc but not being very pc savvy, not sure which if any products would fit!!

this is the spec for my pc, the 'ultra small form factor'

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

...not giving up on this yet!!!

Last edited:
You can get firewire pci and pcie cards but your computer has no slots of either from what i'm seeing, so i'm at a loss i'm afraid.

Just set mine up with these settings and my camera stopped focusing completely ??:thumbsdown:

When I bought my 1dmk11N I wanted to add my name so went doepwn the FireWire route as it wouldn't work with the USB lead or Canons software, I liked the fact on my 400d I could check if I'd missed the focus point. On buying and installing a FireWire card to update my PC it still didn't work as good as I'd hoped, can't remember if I added my name but think it didn't work, couldn't get the software to work either? Still use the 1d11N as my only body and love it, saying that I can't afford a 1dMK4 to upgrade to :)

canon customer service have told me the 5d mk11 disc will sort out the renaming problem

Back