Camera Advise

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
So i currently use a Canon 6D with a few lens but with a trip to America next yr i dont really want to carry around all my kit. So im looking for some abit smaller but give me good pic's. Can anyone give any advise i ideally dont want to spend anymore the £400

When going abroad I like to take a quality compact (I don't like phones) for good light shooting and a CSC with a fast prime for additional quality and low light shooting. Alternatively you could go for a CSC and two lenses, a standard kit type lens and a prime. Some of the CSC kit lenses are actually rather good, I have a Panasonic 14-42mm (28-84mm FF equiv) which is very compact and really just the size of a prime lens and it's sharp from wide open. That and a 35 or 50mm equivalent f1.8 could be all I'd need for a holiday.

How about something like this...

http://www.ffordes.com/product/16092011264081

If you're more of a prime guy you could look for something similar and go for a prime instead of the zoom.

Or just sell up and move to Fuji x series thats what everyone seems to be doing where ever I look nowadays:)

When going abroad I like to take a quality compact (I don't like phones) for good light shooting and a CSC with a fast prime for additional quality and low light shooting. Alternatively you could go for a CSC and two lenses, a standard kit type lens and a prime. Some of the CSC kit lenses are actually rather good, I have a Panasonic 14-42mm (28-84mm FF equiv) which is very compact and really just the size of a prime lens and it's sharp from wide open. That and a 35 or 50mm equivalent f1.8 could be all I'd need for a holiday.

How about something like this...

http://www.ffordes.com/product/16092011264081

If you're more of a prime guy you could look for something similar and go for a prime instead of the zoom.

So maybe look at something like the G5 or maybe G7 if i wanted to spend abit more?

I dont mind increasing the budget to get a good compact camera.

I have had a quick look at the Canon and just noticed the Fuji X-T10

So maybe look at something like the G5 or maybe G7 if i wanted to spend abit more?

I dont mind increasing the budget to get a good compact camera.

I have had a quick look at the Canon and just noticed the Fuji X-T10

I have a G7 and it's a good camera but be aware that with some lenses shutter shock can be induced. Switching to the electronic shutter (this can be done automatically) cures the shutter shock issue but can give rolling shutter effects and banding under artificial light. It's a very fast and responsive camera though with good image quality.

The GX7 has the same chip as the G7 and the image quality seems to be identical (I have both G7 and GX7) and like the G7 the GX7 can induce shutter shock with affected lenses, the option of using the electronic shutter is there but there's no auto option with his camera but one advantage is that the GX7 is a RF style camera and a little more compact than the G7. One nice feature is the tilting evf which I find surprisingly useful but if you are interested in a GX7 I'd recommend you try before you buy to make sure you're happy with the evf.

The MFT lenses are generally good to excellent, that's one good thing about this system.

Good luck choosing.

Last edited:
Micro 4/3 is the obvious choice as it's a considerably smaller system without sacrificing too much IQ. You could get one of the older Fujis with 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 but would be slightly larger (although still noticeable smaller than the 6d). Or you could go full hog and get a used RX100-iii or Canon G7x.

I have a G7 and it's a good camera but be aware that with some lenses shutter shock can be induced. Switching to the electronic shutter (this can be done automatically) cures the shutter shock issue but can give rolling shutter effects and banding under artificial light. It's a very fast and responsive camera though with good image quality.

The GX7 has the same chip as the G7 and the image quality seems to be identical (I have both G7 and GX7) and like the G7 the GX7 can induce shutter shock with affected lenses, the option of using the electronic shutter is there but there's no auto option with his camera but one advantage is that the GX7 is a RF style camera and a little more compact than the G7. One nice feature is the tilting evf which I find surprisingly useful but if you are interested in a GX7 I'd recommend you try before you buy to make sure you're happy with the evf.

The MFT lenses are generally good to excellent, that's one good thing about this system.

Good luck choosing.

Im gonna be a real newbie now and ask what do you mean by Shutter Shock? and RF style?

RF style... not a mini dslr and instead like a range finder Leica or an old 35mm compact camera, with the evf in the top left as you look at the back of the camera.

Shutter shock... at certain shutter speeds, maybe 1/100 to 1/350, the shock created by the mechanical shutter upsets the lens and causes slight motion blur or a slight double image in the picture. This is only an issue with affected bodies and some lenses, not all lenses. This can be avoided by using faster shutter speeds or the electronic shutter or electronic first curtain shutter if the camera has it. This is not just a Panasonic issue and indeed some other makes and models are affected.

The latest cameras from Panasonic, the G80 and GX80, have a redesigned shutter mechanism to reduce shutter shock.

Last edited:
You could get a used Sony DSC-RX10 for £400 or less. A 24-200mm equivalent lens should handle most things, the IQ is good unless you print to large sizes and the handling is DSLR-like enough that you should feel comfortable with it.

RF style... not a mini dslr and instead like a range finder Leica or an old 35mm compact camera, with the evf in the top left as you look at the back of the camera.

Shutter shock... at certain shutter speeds, maybe 1/100 to 1/350, the shock created by the mechanical shutter upsets the lens and causes slight motion blur or a slight double image in the picture. This is only an issue with affected bodies and some lenses, not all lenses. This can be avoided by using faster shutter speeds or the electronic shutter or electronic first curtain shutter if the camera has it. This is not just a Panasonic issue and indeed some other makes and models are affected.

The latest cameras from Panasonic, the G80 and GX80, have a redesigned shutter mechanism to reduce shutter shock.

Thanks for this . Wow so much to think about

You could get a used Sony DSC-RX10 for £400 or less. A 24-200mm equivalent lens should handle most things, the IQ is good unless you print to large sizes and the handling is DSLR-like enough that you should feel comfortable with it.

Will see if i can find one. Need abit more info i think :)

I assume you use this ?
Yes, everyday for the last 4 years. I changed my original X100 to a T about 4 months ago. It just had those little extras I wanted.
You get a good deal on the Fuji refurb site, especially with the Paypal12 discount code - although now it's only 7% extra off.

Micro 4/3 is the obvious choice as it's a considerably smaller system without sacrificing too much IQ. You could get one of the older Fujis with 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 but would be slightly larger (although still noticeable smaller than the 6d). Or you could go full hog and get a used RX100-iii or Canon G7x.

Thanks for this

So out of the RX100-iii and Canon which do you think is better

Thanks for this . Wow so much to think about
Don't get too hung up on shutter shock, it does happen but you don't see it very often. That being said I had it on my first EM5-II so sent it back and the replacement was fine.

Thanks for this

So out of the RX100-iii and Canon which do you think is better
I've had both, pros and cons with each. The extra reach of the canon is very welcome, but the lens on the Canon is very soft in the corners at wider angles. The Sony has a viewfinder too. It's too small for everyday use IMO, but nice to have when you can't see the LCD due to sun glare.

Yes, everyday for the last 4 years. I changed my original X100 to a T about 4 months ago. It just had those little extras I wanted.
You get a good deal on the Fuji refurb site, especially with the Paypal12 discount code - although now it's only 7% extra off.

They look very old school dont they. Now looking at the differences between the T S etc

They look very old school dont they. Now looking at the differences between the T S etc
Fuji make some of the best looking cameras IMO, if you're into the whole retro thing of course ;)

Just take the 6d with a few small light lenses (24-105, 35mm and maybe a UWA). You'll regret it otherwise.

I bought and took a Sony RX100 travelling last year as like you, I wanted a small lightweight solution and while it's a suburb little camera and I got some super shots from it, I really missed the usability, ergonomics and ability of my 6d.

However, if you definitely don't want to take the DSLR, I can very highly recommend the RX100, it produced some lovely shots, way above what a small compact should (due to its incredible 1" sensor) :)

Last edited:
Just take the 6d with a few small light lenses (24-105, 35mm and maybe a UWA). You'll regret it otherwise.

I bought and took a Sony RX100 travelling last year as like you, I wanted a small lightweight solution and while it's a suburb little camera and I got some super shots from it, I really missed the usability, ergonomics and ability of my 6d.

However, if you definitely don't want to take the DSLR, I can very highly recommend the RX100, it produced some lovely shots, way above what a small compact should (due to its incredible 1" sensor) :)
I agree, I did the whole RX100 and G7x thing and whilst I can stick it in most of my pockets I don't use it anymore for several reasons. Even these are too big to comfortably fit in jeans pockets (especially in a case) and so are better suited to cargo pants, but then they are still quite heavy and I find it quite annoying having it 'swing around' on my leg. The other thing is it's actually more of a pain for me to take the camera out of my pocket (I wouldn't have it 'loose' in my pocket due to the fragile leaf style lens cover), out of the case, switch it on and wait for it to start up compared to having a camera on a sling strap that's just there whenever I need it. Lastly, they are just horrible to use. I like the process of taking a photo but compacts just don't do it, there's no 'enjoyment' taking a picture with a compact camera. They small, fiddly to use and it feels very unnatural holding them with an outstretched arm rather that up to your eye. Granted the RX100-III and higher have a viewfinder, but it's tiny and not great to use.

I've gone back to having a smaller mirrorless camera and having it on a peak design slide, feels pretty weightless on there and a far cry from my D750 with 24-70mm f2.8 or 70-200m f2.8 on ;)

I went down to my local jessops as its the only place i know to actually pick a camera up and i got my hands on a

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80

Both lovely Camera i think its between these 2

I get away with my 7d2 a 17-70 and 70-200f4is. I find its light enough to travel with and I don't miss much.
On another topic if this oily s your first time make sure you get toll charge package with it. It will save time and avoid fines for missed tolls

I've had the Sony RX100 mark 2 for the past couple of years and its a great small camera. A little smooth and fiddly but great pics.
I'm thinking of upgrading it to the new Canon G7X mark 2.
I've had a play with the Canon in John Lewis, and ergonomically it's much better than the Sony. It also has a fully flipped screen as well as a touch screen and has longer reach. So using it would be much better.
But am I going to get any better images?
Any guesses anyone?

Disney Florida
TBH it's been a while since I've been there but from memory you can't take unsecured items (bags and cameras etc) on the bigger rides and they have to be left in the secure 'bins', so this might dictate your choice of camera and maybe a pocketable one could be better?

Maybe someone who's been more recently can confirm?

Back