Camera backpack for mountain biking

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Hi there,

it's time to get back on my bike and start cycling again. This time I would like to do this with my camera. So I'm looking for a backpack that can take dSLR camera + few lenses (5dmk2 + 17-40 + 100 macro + few small bits and bobs). I would also like it to be waterproof/watertight, also somehow reinforced in case of fall (maybe shell type of pack). Plus maybe room for a bottle of water (outside of the pack). I would prefer also an easy access to camera without having to take it all off, etc. I don't also want it to be too big.

I'm not sure such backpack exists, but any recommendations will be greatly appreciated? What to you use when mountain biking?

Last edited:
When I go mountain biking, I take my mountain biking backpack and I shove my old Lowepro Nova case inside it.

You won't find a camera bag that's comfortable enough, stable enough or secure enough for this purpose, not at a decent price.

Would it be better to have a bag on the handlebar?

It's a nice thought, but the weight would really screw with the bikes handling.

Thanks guys.

Well I've done some more research and many people advise against taking expensive camera gear on cycling trips (no surprise there). I should probably add that I don't plan any hardcore downhill races. Just a nice ride in a forest or a hill. If I were to do any extreme riding I wouldn't consider taking my dSLR. However, the possibility of a fall still exists, even on a simple ride.

While doing my research I came across a company making bags designed with adventure in mind. They are still not as secure as I'd like, but so far it is my best bet.

http://www.clikelitestore.com/slr_camera_backpacks_s/12.htm

I will continue my research tomorrow evening. My bike goes for full service tomorrow and I don't plan any trips until next weekend anyway. So plenty of time to consider all pros and cons.

I will read few reviews of that Lowepro as well. It looks interesting and not too expensive too. Thanks (y)

Please keep your thoughts and recommendations coming (y)

When I go mountain biking, I take my mountain biking backpack and I shove my old Lowepro Nova case inside it.

You won't find a camera bag that's comfortable enough, stable enough or secure enough for this purpose, not at a decent price.

It's a nice thought, but the weight would really screw with the bikes handling.

Thanks. Have a look at the link in my previous post, those bags seems quite comfortable. Only if they had reinforced/shell walls.

Lowepro photosport 200, it has a decent camera compartment, waterproof camelbak pouch and enough space for tools, clothes and food. The strap dystem is good as well. I've carried a sony a900 with 2 lenses in it....

Thanks guys. I'll have a look at that Lowepro when I get back home tonight.

Most camera specific back packs I found are quite rigid in the back so when you're leaning forward and have a curve in your back they don't fit very well. Not sure about the one quoted above but I've carried a 7D 70-200 f/2.8 IS in a normal Camelbak HAWG on the inner pocket along with some made up hard styrofoam and the bladder in the outer pocket to protect it.

The thing is not to crash :) Although I managed to roll about 20m down a bank in the Alps on this set up and it came out fine, maybe lucky maybe all the padding I set up saved it.

Whatever you do try and travel light it can be a real drag on your back/shoulders after a while even if you're pretty fit, Last year I rode around with a couple of bricks in Camelbak to get used to it before we went to the Alps, it effects your balance in jumps as well :)

There won't be any jumps. Not with 3k worth of gear on my back lol

I plan two types of cycling trips. Pure cycling/endurance/proper mountain biking and also cycling with taking photos type trip.

Probably first type will be also scouting trip to mark locations for potentional photos.

I think for my first few trips I won't take any camera equipment (other than my mobile phone). I need to get back into it after 3 years of being lazy bugger and only moving by car ;)

I've used a Lowepro Dryzone 100 for about 7 years for carrying my gear whilst photographing kayakers descending waterfalls, rock climbing on sea cliffs etc. These are just the sort of locations where expensive camera gear needs first rate protection. The Dryzone series have a 100% waterproof section accessed by a zip similar to those on drysuits. They are also well padded.

You might want a look at freeby Runtastic Mountain Bike App if you have a smartphone, not sure what the restriction on the freeby as I have the paid version but it'll track where you are and you can take photos that link into the map and you can make notes on the overall session. You can download map areas offline to reduce data and speed it up but I'm pretty sure this is part of the paid app.

kata bags might be good too, ive got one of there sling backpacks, it has the quick access system, and pretty sure it has a lap/tummy belt, but mine doesnt have a chest strap.

they are nicely made, and dont shout camera bag. worth a look at their range

Maybe a dedicated rack and rear bag is an option. Riding with heavy equipment on the back is really uncomfortable. Most people have pointed out most camera back packs are designed with a rigid/flat back with is not well suited to bike riding. Link below shows a cycle bag with 1d mk2, and 300 2.8, and tele converter. I have the same bag and I can fit my Alpha 850 (gripped), 24-70 and 12-24 which are fairly representative of your lenses in terms of length and it fits snuggly. But you also have side bag and rear bottle holder for other bits and bobs.Granted it may ruin the 'look' of the bike but I prefer it to a sweaty back :)

Link

Last edited:
OK, my bike is in the service and should be ready in few days. Thank you for all the suggestions and comments so far. Please keep them coming.

To sum up, those are the likely candidates that I have so far (in no particular order):

or other Clik Elite bagpack.

I thought the DryZone 100 will be too small so decided to add to the list the bigger brother (200). Also the Dryzone Rover looks good. Love the waterproof design in the DryZone series, but they are very expensive.

I like the look of the Clik Elite bags. Flexible back, lots of space, waterproof lining and most of them allow to take tripod as well. Quite expensive and I need to read some more reviews.

I also like the Photosport 200. Looks like there is plenty of camera and other storage space. I'm not sure is it padded enough and large enough to fit my camera + 100mm macro lens attached (a guy in one of the reviews mentioned that the 7d + 24-70 attached is too long for this bag).

LOWEPRO Flipside 400 AW I think has too much camera storage space on the other hand. I have Tamrac 5549 Adventure 9 Camouflage which I'll probably will end up selling as it is just too big. At the time I needed to carry my laptop as well, not anymore. If you like the look of that bag, it might end up in classifieds here soon. I think the Camouflage version is quite hard to get. This will also help me to fund a new bag of my choice.

When it comes to Kata, I quite look of this one although more research is needed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562234-REG/Kata_KT_D_3N1_20_3_in_1_Sling.html

Though it might be a little too small.

Also thank you for the Runtastic Mountain Bike app suggestion. I've installed a free version for now and will play it a bit.

I won't rush the decision. First few trips will be camera-free anyway. I want to buy a bag that I will be happy with for a long time, like my ThinkTank Retrospective 30 for example.

Maybe a dedicated rack and rear bag is an option. Riding with heavy equipment on the back is really uncomfortable. Most people have pointed out most camera back packs are designed with a rigid/flat back with is not well suited to bike riding. Link below shows a cycle bag with 1d mk2, and 300 2.8, and tele converter. I have the same bag and I can fit my Alpha 850 (gripped), 24-70 and 12-24 which are fairly representative of your lenses in terms of length and it fits snuggly. But you also have side bag and rear bottle holder for other bits and bobs.Granted it may ruin the 'look' of the bike but I prefer it to a sweaty back :)

Link

Thanks Evo. I'm not big fan of bike bags TBH. I'm a big guy and don't mind a bit of ballast on my back ;)

If I'm not mistaken, vibrations are a big problem with bike bags. Even when they are well padded, the camera still shakes inside.

Last edited:
Depending on your riding I wouldn't go with a bike bag unless it's fairly leisurely, I've managed to destroy two point and shoots, well one was a replacement of the other after they started producing blurry photos. I could only put it down to the vibration shaking the optics enough to knock it all out of place.

Back