Camera bag for SLR with zoom & raincoats

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone.
Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone have experience of using a "rucksack" type camera bag with sufficient room for an SLR with mid range zoom attached and also space for (say) a couple of "packable" rain coats?
If yes, are you able to recommend something? I would ideally want the SLR to be stored in the top section of the bag (or is this asking too much?)
Many thanks

Would suggest you look at one of the split rucksacks eg slingshot where your camera gear is in the bottom and you have a storage area in the top. (y)

Lowepro Primus, loads of room in the top compartment and a large outer one also.

Just picked up a lowepro primus BNWT for under £50 delivered from ebay. The same seller still has some listed at this price.

Its a decent bag, and sounds like what you're after.

Just picked up a lowepro primus BNWT for under £50 delivered from ebay. The same seller still has some listed at this price.

Its a decent bag, and sounds like what you're after.

Thats a great price, for IMO one of the best daypacks and toughest bags out there at the moment, its super comfy also.

Think I paid about £65 from Amazon when I got mine, so £50 is a good price, have seen these for £100+ at Jesspos and Jacobs

Would this bag be OK as hand luggage on a plane, size wise I mean?

Ive got a Fastpack 250 for my D40 and 70-300 AF-S combo with plenty of space for a couple of other lenses and a flashgun in the bottom. The top section has a reasonable amount of space, I keep the charger in there with a few other extras but has plenty of room for a pac a mac and bits and pieces for the kids(y)

Very comfortable on the back as well for a reasonable day out

The Rover AW II and the Dryzone Rover look in spec as well.

It's nice to also see that lowerpro are actually starting to take ques from their parent company and providing what look like decent back systems for their all terrain bags. :) (All three are pretty new bags).

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply to my original question.
All comments are very much appreciated. Up to me to make a decision now!
Cheers.

Now you have me seriously thinking about the bags I mentioned and getting one, the problem is I can't find anywhere in Plymouth that have any in stock to test. :(

Now you have me seriously thinking about the bags I mentioned and getting one, the problem is I can't find anywhere in Plymouth that have any in stock to test. :(

Im sure you could e-bay or sell here whatever you buy and get the money back if it were not good enough.

I can recommend the Lowepro Primus AW as well. I use it as my travel bag as it is perfect as a carry-on with no issues, even fitting my Samsung NC-10 netbook in the top pocket, and I use it as a day pack quite often.

I managed to pick mine up for £44 delivered from Cameraking UK on Amazon back in January, which was a steal in my books, but they have gone up in price since then. That being said, you might want to check out the following site who has them for £50 + £9 delivery.

http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=18347&cat=426&page=1#

I went with flea bay for mine £42 + £7.95 del = £49.95.
Best price I could find.

I can recommend the Lowepro Primus AW as well. I use it as my travel bag as it is perfect as a carry-on with no issues, even fitting my Samsung NC-10 netbook in the top pocket, and I use it as a day pack quite often.

I managed to pick mine up for £44 delivered from Cameraking UK on Amazon back in January, which was a steal in my books, but they have gone up in price since then. That being said, you might want to check out the following site who has them for £50 + £9 delivery.

http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=18347&cat=426&page=1#

Do you think the bottom compartment will fit my kit (400D (with 24-70 attached), 12-24 and 300 f/4)?

I'd love to try the Primus against the Rover and Dryzone rover. I dont suppose anyone has? If so what are the differences, size wise and ease of use?

It's just a shame they are such boring colours, that's why I am so tempted by the dryzone (Red or yellow!)

Have to say Dawn, that looks like a very nice bag but if I was to buy one more bag, the missus would be burying me under the patio! :eek:

Thanks it is nice, but not sure its worth getting killed for!:D I must tell you though I won £72 on the lottery last Wednesady, so it was very reasonable price wise.;)

Do you think the bottom compartment will fit my kit (400D (with 24-70 attached), 12-24 and 300 f/4)?

I'd love to try the Primus against the Rover and Dryzone rover. I dont suppose anyone has? If so what are the differences, size wise and ease of use?

It's just a shame they are such boring colours, that's why I am so tempted by the dryzone (Red or yellow!)

I don't think so. Everything would be ok except for the 300 f/4. It may fit if it is the lens attached to the camera, but it would be tight I think. You would probably have to store the 300 in the top compartment, unfortunately. You would probably be better served by a Lowepro Trekker series, but then you don't get the separate compartment on top.

I don't think so. Everything would be ok except for the 300 f/4. It may fit if it is the lens attached to the camera, but it would be tight I think. You would probably have to store the 300 in the top compartment, unfortunately. You would probably be better served by a Lowepro Trekker series, but then you don't get the separate compartment on top.

Thanks for the reply. Damn, that's annoying. What I really don't want is a trecker type bag, they look seriously uncomfortable and are way too heavy to start with, besides not having somewhere to store the stuff that saves your life..:(

I'll see if I can find one to look at but until then i'll be sticking with my Osprey walking bag.:)

yes i think so but only with some slight jiggery pokery. The bottom section should just about take your 300mm with the divider removed. you could then use this divider to split the upper 'camera' part to divide off a space for your 12-24. Only problem is, there's no velcro on the top side of the middle divider, so the divider to use to split the upper section would only be secured at the top. if that doesnt make any sense, shout and i'll take some pics of what i mean.

my main concern would be the 300mm though, it may be a bit too tight a squeeze. I'd call a shop up where they have both the primus and the 300, and get them to see if it fits :)

Thanks all just ordered the Primus AW in blue/black (y)

My Primus just turned up :clap:
Looks good. Will have a proper look after work.
Fingers crossed Sun or Mon will be good enough weather for a family picnic so I can test it out.

Have also now taken the plunge and ordered a Primus. Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments.

Back