Camera damage from computers ?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
An amateur photographer in another forum, is a member of a camera club.
She's been warned about potential damage to her camera, from connecting it directly to her PC.
Does anyone know of this ?

Honestly can't see any reason you would damage a camera plugging it into a computer, unless you're particularly ham fisted with a usb cable.

Dave

Complete twoddle!

USB connections maintain a low power 5v connection which the camera electronics are designed to handle.

To reiterate - absolute and complete twoddle!

Now, pulling your camera off a table onto a tiled floor because you tripped on the cable - thats a different matter.

I would agree with davelee212 as generally all USB devices are designed to a international standard. This means that there should never be an issue.

Ive always connected direct to my cameras both Canons and Nikons with no issues.

Got to say the cahnces of your camera being damaged by connecting to a computer are miniscule [other than the aforementioned trip hazard, though mine was saved a few years ago by the usb cable, when I accidently knocked it off table, the cable stopped it hitting the floor and whilst the connector on cable got bent, the camera was saved] - I dont think the manufacturers would supply a USB cable for exactly this purpose if there was any significant risk of damage.

:agree:
Also the USB ports tend to be protected so that even if you were to short something out, that port tends to just power down.

Actually, there is foundation in this. I was told by a couple of camera repair guys that constantly plugging the PC plug into your camera could break the solder within the socket and even cause cracking of the internal circuit board to which it's attached. It was a common problem regardless of the quality of the camera. However, that was using the connections which pre-dated the now pretty well universal USB socket system, so whether it's still an issue I've no idea.

The point has been made though about the danger of loose cables across the desk and the danger of dragging your camera onto the floor is real. Get a card reader every time I'd say.

as long as camera switchd off when conecting shoulf not be a problem,if switchd on whn connecting then could cause problem

there's hardly any stress plugging usb cables in, better than the likes of serial connections, that's for sure. With using a card reader, my worry would be bending or breaking the pins inside the camera with constant insertion and removal of the card. having said that, I'm sure cameras are designed for this type of thing... anyhow, I'd better get used to it.. decided to start using RAW and going on a two week holiday in feb! going to require more than one 4gb card I think!!

A photography pro told the her that if there are any bugs on your computer, you can cause problems on your camera if its linked by cable to your pc.
Also, apparently, if there is a power cut/surge whilst the camera is 'cabled' to the pc, it can wipe the memory card and cause problems for the cameras internal workings.

Actually, there is foundation in this. I was told by a couple of camera repair guys that constantly plugging the PC plug into your camera could break the solder within the socket and even cause cracking of the internal circuit board to which it's attached. It was a common problem regardless of the quality of the camera. However, that was using the connections which pre-dated the now pretty well universal USB socket system, so whether it's still an issue I've no idea.

I've never come across this problem before. I've had far more problems with power connections on laptops and had to resolder them for people on numerous occasions. I think that provided people are careful and power down first I would not worry.

I suspect it's probably not an issue now with USB connections Dave. I always use a card reader anyway - no battery or mains power required, and my desk is enough of a mess without cables strewn across it. :D

A photography pro told the her that if there are any bugs on your computer, you can cause problems on your camera if its linked by cable to your pc.
Also, apparently, if there is a power cut/surge whilst the camera is 'cabled' to the pc, it can wipe the memory card and cause problems for the cameras internal workings.
That doesn't sound like the sort of photography pro your friend should rely on for advice.

I've workd with computers and done photography for a number of years - never heard anything like this.

I've always been using usb cable from camera to pc to transfer files. I do it even with the camera switched on and just plug in the usb cable. So far I've not encountered any problem with my 400D and 40D.
To me it looks like the pins on the CF slot is more susceptible to damage than the usb socket. One more thing, when the usb socket is broken, you can still use the camera to take pictures, but when the CF card slot pins are broken, the camera is useless.

Same here, cable every time, I just think my computer desk looks more tidy without a reader on it. 2 years with my D80 and not a problem yet, not a single lost file.
I can see that if there was a power cut half way through a transfer then 1 file may be lost but that would surely be the same with either method, I suppose you could use a laptop to back up the files first so the battery would take over if the power went off.

My thoughts mirror some of the responses above... I'd be more worried about tripping over the cable then some kind of electrical fault developing from plugging it in.

Given the right set of circumstances anything is possible but highly unlikely. 15+ years ago the monitor connected to my Amiga was fried during a thunderstorm when lightning struck nearby. Down the phone wire, through the modem into the Amiga taking out the flicker flixer (who remembers them?) and the monitor. Rest of the machine was fine (y)

So, hook up an old style modem to your pc, connect your camera during a thunderstorm and you might get unlucky ;)

Given the right set of circumstances anything is possible but highly unlikely. 15+ years ago the monitor connected to my Amiga was fried during a thunderstorm when lightning struck nearby. Down the phone wire, through the modem into the Amiga taking out the flicker flixer (who remembers them?) and the monitor. Rest of the machine was fine (y)

So, hook up an old style modem to your pc, connect your camera during a thunderstorm and you might get unlucky ;)

indeed even more recently I have had usb pen drives rendered temporarily unreadable by pulling them out without 'turning them off' properly first and therefore one could envisage something similar happening to a card inside a camera on very rare occasions, but as it would be sorted by formating anyway, its hardly what you might call 'damage' and certainly not heard of it happening to anyone yet.

Back