Camera for £500ish edit

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

A friend is looking at getting a camera that they can use to take photos of their grand kids and general photos.

It is a birthday present so needs to be new, any suggestions on what they could get in that price range, at present I am not sure if they want a DSLR so may be a point and shot or a micro 4/3.

Would suggest a rx100 but think that may be over budget.

Thank you

I think, personal preference, the Panasonic GX7 in silver with a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 would fit the bill. I have used the gx7 to take hundreds of photos of having and it grandsons, 5 boys. And that camera is brilliant. The 20mm lens is super sharp but sometimes a little slow. But as combination, perfect. And it's stunning looking especially in silver.

And you can get near New condition from mpb or Wex.

Ice.

Last edited:
Unless the birthday person is into photography it may end up sitting in a cupboard. If the bday person has an old smartphone an upgrade might make more sense for general photos and photos of the kids. It's going to difficult to get a decent brand new camera for £300.

Reactions: dja
I think, personal preference, the Panasonic GX7 in silver with a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 would fit the bill. I have used the gx7 to take hundreds of photos of having and it grandsons, 5 boys. And that camera is brilliant. The 20mm lens is super sharp but sometimes a little slow. But as combination, perfect. And it's stunning looking especially in silver.

Ice.
Thank you Ice, will add that to the list.

Unless the birthday person is into photography it may end up sitting in a cupboard. If the bday person has an old smartphone an upgrade might make more sense for general photos and photos of the kids. It's going to difficult to get a decent brand new camera for £300.
They have an iPhone and but would like to get into photography hence a camera. I agree that price is low, will ask if used one is an option.

Thank you

Hello,

Budget has been updated to around £500 -£600ish for a new mirrors less one.

Any suggestions on what to look for please.

Cannot find a new gx7, may be not looking properly.

Thank you

Personally I can not recommend the Panasonic GX7 or any other Panasonic camera with the same shutter mechanism due to the widely publicised Shutter Shock issue. This affects specific models of camera when partnered with specific lenses when used with the mechanical shutter in a specific speed range.

I just don't see the point in going for these cameras and potentially running into this issue at some point if you mount a susceptible lens when other cameras are available which don't have this issue no matter what lens you mount on them, for example the Panasonic GX80, which I am happy to recommend.

There are also potential issues with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 such as the inability to use continuous focus and potential noise banding at higher ISO's. This latter issue was an issue on older cameras but may not be an issue with later ones. Again, these are issues which aren't issues if you go for a different lens.

Just in case Andrew comes along and denies the existence of shutter shock, as he always does, I'll advise anyone interested to ignore flat earthers and google the issue for themselves :D

Last edited:
Personally I can not recommend the Panasonic GX7 or any other Panasonic camera with the same shutter mechanism due to the widely publicised Shutter Shock issue. This affects specific models of camera when partnered with specific lenses when used with the mechanical shutter in a specific speed range.

I just don't see the point in going for these cameras and potentially running into this issue at some point if you mount a susceptible lens when other cameras are available which don't have this issue no matter what lens you mount on them, for example the Panasonic GX80, which I am happy to recommend.

There are also potential issues with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 such as the inability to use continuous focus and potential noise banding at higher ISO's. This latter issue was an issue on older cameras but may not be an issue with later ones. Again, these are issues which aren't issues if you go for a different lens.

Just in case Andrew comes along and denies the existence of shutter shock, as he always does, I'll advise anyone interested to ignore flat earthers and google the issue for themselves :D
Thank you, happy to listen to options.

Ice.
Personally I found the 20mm frustratingly slow to focus, for photographing young kids where they will be close to the camera and moving that will be a lot of missed shots.
Personally I would steer them towards a used camera from a dealer with some warranty. I use micro four thirds, so my recommendation would be for a em1 mk2 and an Olympus 17mm 1.8. You could add a 45mm 1.8 later for not much money, or if they are really I tersted in portrait photography maybe even start with that, but noting it’s lack of wide angle.

Personally I found the 20mm frustratingly slow to focus, for photographing young kids where they will be close to the camera and moving that will be a lot of missed shots.
Personally I would steer them towards a used camera from a dealer with some warranty. I use micro four thirds, so my recommendation would be for a em1 mk2 and an Olympus 17mm 1.8. You could add a 45mm 1.8 later for not much money, or if they are really I tersted in portrait photography maybe even start with that, but noting it’s lack of wide angle.
Thank you, as it is a birthday present it needs to be new. Otherwise buying used would define the best option.

Would this hit the spot? It's not a camera I personally know, but sounds along the right lines.

Would this hit the spot? It's not a camera I personally know, but sounds along the right lines.

I had one of those and it has the same shutter as the GX7. I'm appalled that these cameras are shipped with the 14-42mm which I found to be susceptible to shutter shock. IMVHO these cameras should only be bought if the potential owner is well aware of the potential issue. I personally don't see any reason to go for one of these if there's a similarly priced and relatively issue free alternative.

Given Alan's strident warnings about the Panasonic cameras/lenses, what about this Canon M50 outfit that is a little over budget but probably a good place to start?

Given Alan's strident warnings about the Panasonic cameras/lenses, what about this Canon M50 outfit that is a little over budget but probably a good place to start?

To be fair shutter shock is not just a Panasonic issue and afaik several brands are affected, maybe all for all I know but I do know from personal ownership experience that the GX7 and G7 when used with certain lenses do exhibit the issue.

My recommendation is the Panasonic GX80 and Olympus 17mm f1.8 or even the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 if it's only going to be used as a single shot device for still or very slow moving subjects.

Last edited:
Back