Camera for China & Thailand

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I have a Nikon D810 with 35mm, 50mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm and would love to take it all away but it’s far to heavy!

Can anyone recommend a camera that would still give me great quality?

I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max which is great for on the go but just looking for other options.

Also, can anybody recommend a small drone?

Thanks

I shifted from Canon full frame gear to Olympus mFT in 2016...... primarily because of the weight and the image quality is very good, though at higher ISO you need to use noise reduction software but it is easily controlled, in my case, using DxO PhotoLab.

Just thinking out loud re: drones ~ if intending to use in China and/or Thailand, maybe best to check if they allow drone usage???

HTH

Last edited:
When I went to China in 2019 I took a Leica M9 and a Fuji X-T2 with 16-55. 90% of my shots were on the Fuji because it was quicker, AF was almost essential as it is a fast moving place and the 16-55 zoom combined with good high ISO capability gave me enough flexibility to get everything hand held plus it was easy enough to carry on my shoulder all day so I had it whenever I needed it.

Shanghai 030-1b.jpgShanghai 012-1b.jpg

Seconded an MFT outfit, personally I wouldn't dream of using a drone there unless I had a specific permission document from the embassy. They are very twitchy about Western spying these days by the look of what's happening in Hong Kong. Thailand would be completely different and if outside Bangkok, a good plan

For a 1 lens option on an interchangeable lens system, I'd second Pal's suggestion of an XT-2 but would go for the 18-135 lens for the extra reach/flexibility. Or a good compact - IME the Sony RX-100vi gives better results than the Panasonic TZ-100.

I took my camera a Nikon D810 to china with just the 24-70 mm lens and found that was all I needed

Last edited:
My favourite travel camera is the MFT Panasonic GX80 with the pancake Olympus 14-42mm and a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 prime for low light stuff. It has a viewfinder so you can use it any light. It will fit in a pocket with the prime in the other. You can charge the battery in the camera with a USB lead so there's no need to take a charger.

Andrew HATFIELD | Architectural and Interior Photographer

Last edited:
I used to have a D750 and loved it but went with Fuji XT3 - yes I miss the FF loveliness, but it's a much lighter alternative and great lenses. But I have also taken the X100V (or F/T in past) as my only camera and the 35mm lens is good enough in most places.

Xe3/xe4 or xt20/30 really are tiny and incredibly hard to beat for image quality ......size to quality ratio I don't think there's anything better .

be careful what you do it is a communist country and what is permissable in the UK may not br in China. for example If I wsanted a photo of a person even a forbidden city guard
, what I did was point to the camera then made hand movement as if to take a photo. sign language goe a long way. The guard was happy i asked first , other didn't get the shot because they just shoved a camera up to them.
DSC_3344.JPG

they have official tour guides and best to go with them and you ok, actually they are well worth being with

took a ski lift to the mountain ridge a few thousand ft up to walk along the great wallDSC_3421.JPG
china on the left and mongolia on the right . notice the wall access is on the China side only. got hard to breath at this height

don't go with large coach parties you get no idea, you just step off the coach and onto the wall

Only half way up in the ski lift looking down to the small bazaar below. b resathing
DSC_3432.JPG

central bejing the Emporers palace where we had a meal, yes that is gold on the walls etc not yellow paint( not in the forbidden city)

DSC_3290.JPG

AS a footnote the whole experiece was amazing, everyone so kind and helpful my advice is book with a small independant company if possible and get individual attention. not with a large group.we had our own guides in Bejing and Zian also private cars in both cities.

Last edited:
Back