Camera hip bags for cycling

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone use a hip bag to carry a camera out on a bike?
Since I got back into mountain biking ~18 months ago, photography has taken a bit of a back seat, I would like to merge the two from time to time so need a way to safely carry a camera.

Frame bags are a no go, far too much vibration that will eventually kill a camera, and I prefer not to ride with a back pack and they are slow to access, so a hip bag looks to be the way to go.

The Evoc Capture 7 seems perfect and has been design with both photography and bikes in mind. It is however quite pricey and since Brexit Evoc are no longer shipping to the UK anyway. :(

Bike specific hip bags are un-padded so I would need to factor in a suitable padded insert, but most use a single straight zip to access the main compartment rather than a three sided zipped flap which would make access much easier.

Camera hip packs seem to be few and far between and those that I have seen look quite unsuitable for bombing down the side of a hill and will bounce around all over the place.

I need to be able to carry a Fuji XT3 with a 24-70 lens attached, and if room for also a 50-200 then great. So I think I need a bag somewhere in the 6-7litre capacity range.

Anyone already using something like this?

No, I ride with a rucksack, either my Evoc Stage Capture if I am taking the full Fuji kit, or more regularly just my X100V in my normal hydration pack.

I only tend to take the X-T2 and multiple lenses if it is a ride to take a specific photo, or if I am shooting a race etc. Whereas the X100V is small and light enough to take on most rides.

This is one from the X100V last summer:
View: https://flic.kr/p/2nyV2B2

No, I ride with a rucksack, either my Evoc Stage Capture if I am taking the full Fuji kit, or more regularly just my X100V in my normal hydration pack.

I only tend to take the X-T2 and multiple lenses if it is a ride to take a specific photo, or if I am shooting a race etc. Whereas the X100V is small and light enough to take on most rides.

This is one from the X100V last summer:
View: https://flic.kr/p/2nyV2B2
I will do anything to avoid using a backpack where possible, I do have a hydration pack with enough storage for essentials that I use on longer rides but nowhere near big enough to hold a camera so I think for me a hip bag is the right way to go.

Everything I have looked at so far has either been a massive compromise compared tot he Evoc, or there is so little information on the pack shape/dimensions that it isn't clear whether or not a camera would fit well. Eventually convinced myself that despite the cost the Evoc has to be the way to go and found a seller on ebay who will ship to the UK. Got a fair wait until it is due to arrive but also have a lot of bike maintenance to catch up on in the mean-time.

Great picture, looks like you have some good riding round your way. I have just signed up my daughter for her first XC fun race, trying to help her develop her riding skills at the moment but at 7 years old she already thinks she knows best about everything. :headbang:

I will do anything to avoid using a backpack where possible, I do have a hydration pack with enough storage for essentials that I use on longer rides but nowhere near big enough to hold a camera so I think for me a hip bag is the right way to go.

Everything I have looked at so far has either been a massive compromise compared tot he Evoc, or there is so little information on the pack shape/dimensions that it isn't clear whether or not a camera would fit well. Eventually convinced myself that despite the cost the Evoc has to be the way to go and found a seller on ebay who will ship to the UK. Got a fair wait until it is due to arrive but also have a lot of bike maintenance to catch up on in the mean-time.

Great picture, looks like you have some good riding round your way. I have just signed up my daughter for her first XC fun race, trying to help her develop her riding skills at the moment but at 7 years old she already thinks she knows best about everything. :headbang:
I ended up making a similar decision when I got the Evoke Stage Capture - it was a nightmare to eventually get hold of. Which was a shame, as it is a really good bag.

The riding round here (Coventry) is all pretty tame, but fun with kids - know it all 7 year old sounds all too familiar too...

Peak design everyday sling. Either 3l or 6l.
Both can be used as a hip bag or sling.

I really like PD stuff, but unfortunately that one isn't going to cut the mustard. The strap attachment points being at the top of the bag mean that it will bounce around and be really uncomfortable. Fine as a regular bag or urban cycling, but not great for on a mountain bike unfortunately.

https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/slingshot-edge-250-aw-lp36899-pww/ is what I used to use for cycling and photography. The only downside is that the zips on mine didn't seem to be up to extended use (but I did use it/them a LOT)

ETA if it isn't clear, the bag is on a single strap (with an optional waist steady strap) that swings from back to front and gives immediate access to the camera

Last edited:
https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/slingshot-edge-250-aw-lp36899-pww/ is what I used to use for cycling and photography. The only downside is that the zips on mine didn't seem to be up to extended use (but I did use it/them a LOT)

ETA if it isn't clear, the bag is on a single strap (with an optional waist steady strap) that swings from back to front and gives immediate access to the camera
An early version of the slingshot was my first camera bag when I first got into photography many years ago. :love:

Doesn't really tick the boxes for what I am looking for now, but I would certainly consider one as a general bag.

I have a hip bag ordered now, I will update with my thoughts on it when it arrives. :)

You don't want a hip bag or a backpack. Both may cause you serious injury if you fell off. Only carry soft stuff in these that can't hurt you.

A bag over the front wheels or crossbar is a much safer option. Behind you is OK too, but then you can't keep your eye on it.

You don't want a hip bag or a backpack. Both may cause you serious injury if you fell off. Only carry soft stuff in these that can't hurt you.

A bag over the front wheels or crossbar is a much safer option. Behind you is OK too, but then you can't keep your eye on it.
A camera mounted in any way to the frame will end up being killed by vibrations, there are plenty of example of bike packers who have experienced this.

A camera mounted in any way to the frame will end up being killed by vibrations, there are plenty of example of bike packers who have experienced this.

Not if it's packed properly it won't. Besides, cameras can be fixed or replaced - spinal columns cannot. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
An early version of the slingshot was my first camera bag when I first got into photography many years ago. :love:

Doesn't really tick the boxes for what I am looking for now, but I would certainly consider one as a general bag.

I have a hip bag ordered now, I will update with my thoughts on it when it arrives. :)
I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on because it's not something I've managed to find a good solution for. I have a Slingshot 100 which I sometimes take on the bike but I don't it works well as it moves around too much on my back and it doesn't have the space for my bike tools. I normally ride with a very small backpack for cycling enough to take my tools, additional layers and some food which will just take a Sony RX1R while the backpack is small enough I don't notice it when riding. However aside from being limited to the RX1R and not something bigger, it's such a fiddle to get the camera out of the bag and use it I often don't.

I like the idea of a hip bag for the camera on its own I could easily access while cycling and not interfere with the backpack.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on because it's not something I've managed to find a good solution for. I have a Slingshot 100 which I sometimes take on the bike but I don't it works well as it moves around too much on my back and it doesn't have the space for my bike tools. I normally ride with a very small backpack for cycling enough to take my tools, additional layers and some food which will just take a Sony RX1R while the backpack is small enough I don't notice it when riding. However aside from being limited to the RX1R and not something bigger, it's such a fiddle to get the camera out of the bag and use it I often don't.

I like the idea of a hip bag for the camera on its own I could easily access while cycling and not interfere with the backpack.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I will let you know how I get on.

I've used one of those camera shaped hang over the shoulder bags, with an extra strap clipped onto the D rings around my waist to hold it in place. This isn't exactly the one I have but similar-ish.
bag

The Evoc hip bag arrived a couple of days ago, very quick delivery from Germany.

Seems well thought out and good quality. I can easily get my XT-3 with three lenses in there, not that I intend on every carrying that much at any one time, so there will be room left for snacks. :D

20230201_142457.jpg20230201_143621.jpg20230201_143642.jpg

Today I went out for a short ride just to try it out.
It took a bit of getting used, although it feels like it is bouncing around a bit it is actually quite stable and after a while I pretty well forgot that it was there. Fast bumpy descents and a couple of small jumps didn't have it moving about significantly and wasn't affecting my riding.

Accessing the camera is easy enough, once you swing it round in front of you, but I found that the tension needed on the trap to keep it in place while riding is too tight to be able to turn it round so needs to be loosened each time, and then re-tightened when out back. Although that is really quick and easy to do and no hardship at all, gathering up the excess trap each time to stop it trailing is a faff. Someone less abdominally endowed may not have this problem I expect.

But, once you have it in front of you the camera is easy to access and also serves as a safe place to change lenses over.
20230203_115432.jpg
20230203_115535.jpg

Overall I am happy with it, if you get on with hip bags generally then I don't fink you will find a better one specifically for carrying a camera out on a bike.

Good stuff, I can see that it was designed at the same time as my Stage Capture rucksack. It is just a shame that Evoc hasn't got better distribution for their photography bags in the UK.

Good stuff, I can see that it was designed at the same time as my Stage Capture rucksack. It is just a shame that Evoc hasn't got better distribution for their photography bags in the UK.
It is nice stuff. I bought a frame bag from the direct a year or so back with no problem, but they have since stopped selling to the UK. I guess for the relatively small number of sales it stopped being worth the hassle once things got 'complicated'.

They did have a UK Photo distributor for a few years too.

Thanks for the follow up, what's the biggest lens you've managed to get in there?

I'm a big fan of the Evoc stuff and have a little backpack I bought years and years go of theirs and it's been on my bike for just about every ride I've been out in the rain, mud, freezing conditions and super hot sunny conditions and it's still absolutely perfect. I find after a while clothing and accessories start to wear out especially those ones that have to endure the rough MTB conditions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow up, what's the biggest lens you've managed to get in there?

I'm a big fan of the Evoc stuff and have a little backpack I bought years and years go of theirs and it's been on my bike for just about every ride I've been out in the rain, mud, freezing conditions and super hot sunny conditions and it's still absolutely perfect. I find after a while clothing and accessories start to wear out especially those ones that have to endure the rough MTB conditions.
I can get the Fuji 55-200 in there with no trouble at all, even attached to the body with a couple of other lenses.
Hello,

Any updates on the evoc bag, how are you getting on with it? Still happy? I'm looking for a way to carry a camera on my bike and would love any thoughts.

Thanks
Can't fault it, definately the right choice. But I have only used it twice before I was forced to admit defeat and sell up all my photography gear. So this will be listed up in the classifieds soon.

Where did you buy the Evoc bag from and how much did you pay for it?

Back