Camera insurance

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Due to a recent shuffle in my equipment I have decided it would be silly to continue using my gear without any insurance, could be disastrous! I've been quoted around £30/month from photogaurd for basic cover plus car cover, anyone else have any ideas.

Unfortunately I've had my PLI through last week so I can't two birds with one stone (didn't anticipate the shuffle this soon).

Thanks, Harry.

PhotoGuard is one of the most popular and recommended. That's a fairly heavy quote. I assume you have a fair amount of kit? Have you looked at putting it on your house insurance?

PhotoGuard is one of the most popular and recommended. That's a fairly heavy quote. I assume you have a fair amount of kit? Have you looked at putting it on your house insurance?

Yes, I've looked through the house insurance but they don't cover a single item worth as much as one of my lenses. Plus it would be a farce if I had to claim as it'd put the renewal up, which isn't fair on mum and Dad.

Does it also cover laptops?

I put a valuation of around £10k (scary when you add it all up eh?) which is fair including my laptop and assorted paraphernalia.

Cheers.

My contents insurance gives me £5000 personal belongings cover, worldwide for accidental loss, damage and theft. They cover any individual items up to £2000, anything over £2000 should be specified - so just the one lens.

That's with Aviva, though I will need to speak to them about upping the personal belonging cover.

Oh - that all may not be useful if you're using your parents contents insurance.

Yes, I've looked through the house insurance but they don't cover a single item worth as much as one of my lenses. Plus it would be a farce if I had to claim as it'd put the renewal up, which isn't fair on mum and Dad.

Does it also cover laptops?

I put a valuation of around £10k (scary when you add it all up eh?) which is fair including my laptop and assorted paraphernalia.

Cheers.

I believe it will if you specify your laptop. Didn't realise you were still at home;) If it's any consolation I've recently totalled my kit up and to replace it will cost around 45k and I'm not a pro. PhotoGuard quote £115 pm.

Mine is on my house insurance too. Worst case scenario would be if my 5d 3 went south because the Max per item is £1500. That said the insurance cost less than £200 for the year and that includes my buildings and contents cover too. I found it through one of the comparison sites.

Try Aaduki and Towergate for quotes too. Make sure the geographical coverage is right for you - my first quote was high because it assumed world-wide cover but I only needed UK.

As previously suggested, check out specifying it on your house insurance. That's how mine is covered.

CLIIK do a very good pro insurance at a good price :)

Cheers, but house insurance is a no go. I need a single item at £5k!!! Plus I live with my parents.

Gramps thanks for the suggestion!

I wonder if any of you guys actually have had claimed insurance over your equipment or props for your shoot before? It's quite urgent, and I really need a good recommendation for photographer insurance where it'll cover both the equipments, props (does costume count as props?), and public property just in case for location shoot. Many thanks

I wonder if any of you guys actually have had claimed insurance over your equipment or props for your shoot before? It's quite urgent, and I really need a good recommendation for photographer insurance where it'll cover both the equipments, props (does costume count as props?), and public property just in case for location shoot. Many thanks

Try Cliik as they cover everything you use to create the images (their words not mine) so assume props is covered in that. If you have an array of costumes that if all were destroyed/stolen could cost to replace I'm assuming they'd be covered. I would suggest telling them when enquiring (assuming you enquire). They also say that if you need to hire similar kit to complete a booked job, they'll include the hire costs as part of the claim.

I'm guessing by Public property you mean Public Liability insurance? Cover for damaging anyone else's property or anyone else for that matter? Cliik give you £5m as standard. Others offer various levels ranging from £1m-£5m.

They're quite well recommended on here. Think the TP should enquire if we can get a discount from them!:)

I've been with these for several years, had one claim. They paid within 5 days. Very easy claim.......http://www.imaginginsurance.co.uk/Photographers_Insurance.html

Back