Camera recommendation for friend

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,
I wonder if you might be able to help me.

A good friend of mine has asked for a camera recommendation to document a car restoration he is carrying out.

Budget £500-£700 (he would go a little higher if he had too)
A fairly wide angle lens - as he will be shooting inside a garage
Perhaps he will also be doing a bit of close up, on components and the such.
Good low light performance - due to above
Good video
The results will viewed either on a web site or pc size screen

He was thinking of a digital SLR, I wondered if he might be better off with a mirrorless camera. As it would be smaller (might tempt him to use more rather than his phone)

I have not bought a camera for a few years now, since my 77D, so I am a little off the pace as far as up-to-date knowledge.
So I thought I would ask here as a starting point.

Cheers for any help,
Alex

If he's not a photographer just get him to use his phone. Most high end phones have cracking cameras these days and will all do 1080p video....

If' he's worried about the quality ensure the lighting is sufficient, and perhaps a mini tripod and whatnot.

buying a camera is a bit overkill when what he's probably alreday got should be sufficient, especially if he's not experienced with a camera etc.

Last edited:
If he's not a photographer just get him to use his phone. Most high end phones have cracking cameras these days and will all do 1080p video....

If' he's worried about the quality ensure the lighting is sufficient, and perhaps a mini tripod and whatnot.

buying a camera is a bit overkill when what he's probably alreday got should be sufficient, especially if he's not experienced with a camera etc.

I agree. Phone all the way.

To avoid faffing around changing lenses etc., I'd go for a decent compact like the Sony RX100. Should be available well within budget and will do all he wants it to.

Cheers guys,
I was just having a google and read, he tried his phone One Plus 7 pro, so a decent one, but was not too keen on the results.
I will have a look at the compact, do you think for his purpose, he would see much difference in sensor size?
Should he go for APS-C, or do you think for what he is doing it will make much difference?

Hi and thanks,
I am not sure what he was not happy with, he just asked today. I guess you guys might be right, its more the light, as thats where most phones struggle a bit.....
What do you think of those square LED lights, there not to expensive.

Hi and thanks,
I am not sure what he was not happy with, he just asked today. I guess you guys might be right, its more the light, as thats where most phones struggle a bit.....
What do you think of those square LED lights, there not to expensive.

They're ok yeah, although as with anything the cost ramps up the bigger you go!

As much as I hate to admit it, the above is actually true.
Don't get me wrong, a quality SLR is capable of achieving results miles beyond what a phone is capable of but only in skilled, experienced hands.
And just any decent lighting in the garage will be OK.

now this is all assuming that he is just doing this for himself for fun or maybe for a basic youtube fansite or something.

Back