Can anyone ID this for me please?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Had another wander down the river and through the woods at Ely on Monday and got some nice (I think) shots of various birds including loads of Wrens, a Jay and many others and various butterflies (will post some later for feedback). However I caught two really bad, quickly taken, out of focus shots of this as it was far too quick to get any decent shots and I'm honestly not sure what it is.

So, photo not for feedback at all, I know how crap this photo is, but hoping someone can ID the bird for me as I'm curious.

unknown.jpg

Willow Warbler.

From the leg colour and the length of wing I'd say a willow warbler, though the two are hard to tell apart. Sometimes the way the light falls on a beak or legs can make them look a completely different colour to what they actually are. The willow warbler's wings end at around the far end of the thicker base of the tail - the chiffchaff's are a bit shorter. The easiest way (unless you have both species living side by side) is to listen for its song. Chiff chaffs are quite vocal and you'll realise immediately how they came by their name!

J

I have seen and heard many more willow warblers around the West Country reserves this year compared to previous years, outnumbering chiffchaffs by a large percentage. Leg colouration isn't always definitive as many of the birds I have seen have had dark legs similar to chiffchaff, but the song is completely different. Willow warblers' song is a multi-noted chatty inquiring song. The name "Chiffchaff" isn't in my opinion very descriptive of its song, being more of a high pitched two-toned "chirrip-chirrip".

Back