Can anyone ID this please + another pic added

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
I think it is a reed warbler from my looking in my book, but not 100% sure. Not a great image but was the best I could get as it was there and gone within a second. :exit:

2011_04_18_8475.jpg

very heavy pp on this one as it was very dark.

2011_04_18_8465.jpg

Thanks in advance

Rob

Last edited:
I will agree with Scott, a Reed warbler is a much warmer brown colour with a slightly longer flatter head. nice photos by the way.

it is a chiffchaff

I appreciate the help in ID this, think I need a better book as the one I have this bird could be any of abut 5 different birds :bang:

Cheers

Rob

No problem Rob, Warblers can be difficult to nail in the field, :thinking: and fieldguides are quite variable. Using an image to ID a bird has its pitfalls as well :), as ive found out over the years to my cost.

I appreciate the help in ID this, think I need a better book as the one I have this bird could be any of abut 5 different birds :bang:

Cheers

Rob

Don't forget to take into account the habitat. Reed Warblers are, er, only found in reeds, so you could cut down on the number of possibilities that way.

Don't forget to take into account the habitat. Reed Warblers are, er, only found in reeds, so you could cut down on the number of possibilities that way.

well :LOL::LOL: thats was my line of thought, as the tree they where in is on the edge of a very big reed bed. :bonk: but you can't see that from the images I posted. In future to help others ID (I know there will be a lot :LOL: ) I'll put a better description and if I remember grab a surroundings type shot.

Thanks

Rob

Last edited:
well :LOL::LOL: thats was my line of thought, as the tree they where in is on the edge of a very big reed bed. :bonk: but you can't see that from the images I posted. In future to help others ID (I know there will be a lot :LOL: ) I'll put a better description and if I remember grab a surroundings type shot.

Thanks

Rob

I see....a tree in a reed bed. A bit more tricky, but I agree its a chiffchaff.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob birds dont read books :) ive seen reed warblers in trees..... Willows, they use them to move between reed beds. Good point about including as much info as you can.

And if we are replying, its a good idea to give as much info back to the questioner as to why we think we have arrived at our ID, helps us all round. :)

regards brian.

Back