Can grotty old photos be made good?

Name
Neil McLeland
Edit My Images
Yes
While looking for something else I came by these old photos in a box. I thought they were long gone as they were taken 30 years ago on, I think, a Polaroid of all things.....

myoldcars001.jpg

myoldcars002.jpg

I have scanned them to try and salvage whatever is possible from them.

I would like to try and improve them as they are the only photos that I still have of these old cars of mine. Anyone know what processes I can try in Photoshop to make something of them, or are they beyond hope?

Cheers, (y)

Neil

I put this in the motoring section but maybe I should have posted it somewhere more suitable for processing techniques?

Last edited:
I'd say your only hope of salvage is the washing on the line comes back into fashion

Are you sure thats you in the second one... or a member of planet of the apes!!! :D

Is that an E type in the first?

Last edited:
Are you sure thats you in the second one... or a member of planet of the apes!!! :D

Is that an E type in the first?

A bit harsh Janice! Although I see what you mean ;)

Yes it's an E type - 1967 4.2, those were the days....

And a Lotus Super Seven too?

I'd say your only hope of salvage is the washing on the line comes back into fashion

:clap::shrug::nono: That was probably good stuff ....... at the time:bat:

See if that's any good.

myoldcars001.jpg

and

Not much can really be done 'cos of the blur but here we go

myoldcars002.jpg

Last edited:
The planet of the apes one must have been taken on a holga lol

I've done photo restoration work professionally for many years, and these shots are fairly typical of what you often get asked to do. The first one isn't really worth spending much time on - it's well out of focus. Scan it to get a decent copy and keep it as the treasured memory it is for you despite the quality of the shot. ;)

The second one is better, but not much, it was never a really sharp image, and the effect of time and damage on the image hasn't helped. The way to approach restoration on it is to scan the image at a much greater res, which will really show up the fairly extensive damage and dust etc on the print. Work on the image at the full scanned size, and deal with as much of the damage and marks as possible. It's tedious, labour intensive work to do properly. Adjust levels when done, and by the time it's printed at a much smaller size, it should look lots better, but it's never going to be a masterpiece or reflect the time and effort you put into it.

Thank you, kind people ;) for your efforts and thanks CT for your method advice. I can see from the examples above that improvements can be made so I'll follow your advice myself and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again, (y)

Neil

:clap::shrug::nono: That was probably good stuff ....... at the time:bat:

I can tell you the Jag was last taxed in 1983, then it looks like it was exported

The enquiry is complete
The vehicle details for RGC 348E are:

Date of Liability 01 10 1983
Date of First Registration 28 02 1967
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 4235CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Export
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour RED
Vehicle Type Approv

I can tell you the Jag was last taxed in 1983, then it looks like it was exported

The enquiry is complete
The vehicle details for RGC 348E are:

Date of Liability 01 10 1983
Date of First Registration 28 02 1967
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 4235CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Export
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour RED
Vehicle Type Approv

Hmmm.... I sold it in about 1976 and I think the buyer was going to take it abroad then. Don't know if he did though.

I wonder where it is now :thinking:

Good effort Timc, if I can get anywhere near myself and spend some time getting rid of the white speckles, then cropping out most of the washing it'll be a half reasonable photo.

As you say, if it ain't there to start with....

Here's my attempt - any good?

Yes, it is good. The key is definately to introduce darkness to the photo, but only in some areas and not others, so as not to lose detail where there is some in the first place.

Cheers,

Neil

Yes, it is good. The key is definately to introduce darkness to the photo, but only in some areas and not others, so as not to lose detail where there is some in the first place.

Cheers,

Neil

Glad you like it. You could also take out some of the white spots by using the healing brush. It's a bit time consuming though.

LOL @ the stick to vegetables! :LOL:

There is no magic software which will sort it out, either do it yourself, or bite the bullet and pay to get it done. My advice is the original image isn't of sufficient quality to justify a lot of expense for the likely result. There is several hours of tedious work there to do anything like a proper job and anyone who charges too cheaply isn't going to do the job justice.

Back