Can I see I photo of CP-E4 please?

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
Yes
I am contemplating buying a battery pack for the flash Speedlite 580.

Firstly, is it worth paying £99.00 (Kerso) or should I just invest in some good re-chargeables.

More importantly, has anyone got a CP-4 that can show a photograph of the set-up. I can't imagine what it would look like and how long the cord is. My camera is heavy enough with battery grip, 580 and 70-200 2.8IS.

Thanks Gillian

I have one but no picture (actually, I think mine is a CP-E3 for a 550)

I often strap it to my tripod head, so the cord is quite long.

I like it for the much quicker recharge times it offers - the main reason I bought it.

i only ever use my one for low light events like a fashion show or birthday party, wedding etc. you can put the main unit into your pocket or attach it to a belt then the lead goes into your 580.

one thing i have noticed is that if you bounce about a lot the door can pop open and the batterys can fall out which has happened to me twice now so i tape it shut just to be safe.

i would only get one if you want to increase your flash turnaround time really otherwise i wouldnt see the point.

Thanks guys, very helpful. Yes it is the flash turnaround time doing weddings I am interested in. I will have to think about this some more.

Gill i have the cp-e3 (with a 550ex)- it uses 6 batteries instead of the 8 that the cp-e4 uses

for recycle time this is the way to go (cp-e3 or e4)unless you can get the quantum turbo (expensive and heavy but really fast)

i normally jut put the pack in a pocket of my trousers although prefer to clip it to my belt - using a small lowpro s&f case, as this is easier when sitting down.(the lead is plenty long enough)

Gill i have the cp-e3 (with a 550ex)- it uses 6 batteries instead of the 8 that the cp-e4 uses

for recycle time this is the way to go (cp-e3 or e4)unless you can get the quantum turbo (expensive and heavy but really fast)

i normally jut put the pack in a pocket of my trousers although prefer to clip it to my belt - using a small lowpro s&f case, as this is easier when sitting down.(the lead is plenty long enough)

The CP-E3 takes 8 batteries the same as the CP-E4, the difference is waterproofing on the CP-E4. Are you sure its not the CP-E2 you have, that takes 6 batteries.

The CP-E3/4 makes quite a difference recycling the flash and gives you a lot more shots too, but you should use NI-MH rechargeables in it to get the best out of it.

Scott

Just sold the CP-E3 for £55 last week on the site, got the quantum turbo slim now.
And would say if it's for weddings then get the quantum turbo it's worth every penny.
Would miss some shots with the CP-E3 but the quantum turbo just keeps going, great kit for weddings.

Just sold the CP-E3 for £55 last week on the site, got the quantum turbo slim now.
And would say if it's for weddings then get the quantum turbo it's worth every penny.
Would miss some shots with the CP-E3 but the quantum turbo just keeps going, great kit for weddings.

How do you find the weight difference between the CP-E3 and the Quantum Turbo?

Hi Gilly, I got the Al Jacobs Black Box and I've been very pleased with it. I looked at the Quantums but they were too expensive and after a bit of research and recommendations I decided on this unit and if I remember correctly it cost me about £115 (third of the price of the Quantum) and then I had to source the cable which I got of ebay for about £25.

Blackbox4.gif

how long is the cord on the cp-e4. are we talknig a shirt pocket or trouser poket length.

I keep mine in my trouser pocket, no problems. I'm not a heavy flash user at weddings, only in the evenings, but have found the recycle time hugely improved using the cp-e4. It's not too heavy either.

I keep mine in my trouser pocket, no problems. I'm not a heavy flash user at weddings, only in the evenings, but have found the recycle time hugely improved using the cp-e4. It's not too heavy either.

I have gone and bought one off Kerso (Ian Kerr) for a very good price. It should arrive on Wednesday.

Duncan, you mentioned you have a CP-E4. What type of batteries do you use? If they are re-chargeable, what power size do you use? I need to buy the right ones. Thanks

Hi Gilly, I got the Al Jacobs Black Box and I've been very pleased with it. I looked at the Quantums but they were too expensive and after a bit of research and recommendations I decided on this unit and if I remember correctly it cost me about £115 (third of the price of the Quantum) and then I had to source the cable which I got of ebay for about £25.

Blackbox4.gif

Colin, that Black Box looks huge! I'm only 4'10" and you can't see much of me when I have the 5D, grip, 70-200mm, 580EX and the Gary Fong Lightsphere on as well. The weight is an issue, and at this rate, I won't be able to get up out of the chair:LOL:

I have gone and bought one off Kerso (Ian Kerr) for a very good price. It should arrive on Wednesday.

Duncan, you mentioned you have a CP-E4. What type of batteries do you use? If they are re-chargeable, what power size do you use? I need to buy the right ones. Thanks

I don't know about Duncan, but I use 2500mah NiMh rechargeable batteries or upwards in both the flash and the CP-E3 (as I said earlier its the same unit only without the waterproofing on the E3), I only ever put alkalines in as a last resort.

Nimh batteries recycle faster than alkaline and on a full charge (all 12 batteries) it will keep you going all day no problem at all.

Uniross 2700mah will work a treat but you are better getting a set of 12 so they all match.

I use PowerEx 2700 rechargeables in the flash and the CP-E4.

Perfect! thanks for your comments. I will be off tomorrow to buy 12 the same. I will certainly let you all know how I get on. It should arrive tomorrow from Ian - fingers crossed.

I know it is a different subject, but I also bought the Gary Fong Lightsphere which arrived today and I took it to the rehearsal tonight for a practice - Wedding on Saturday. It is brilliant! Well worth the money.

Back