Can I sell my DSLR and swap to Mirrorless?

Did you miss the word longer in my post? And you're not comparing what I was comparing in my mind - which was FF vs micro 4/3rds. Take the 35-100 f2.8 Panny and the 70-200 f2.8 Sony as an example of a longer lens where the Sony is HUUGE vs the micro 4/3rds equivalent.

And anyway, the APS-C vs FF you did wasn't fair - the Canon equivalent focal range is 27-136, the Sony only 28-70 and you'd probably be better doing it vs the 15-85 which is a pretty good lens and further extends the focal range... As I said:

and you only really gain from the APS-C size sub 100mm (or so I'm told)

Oh God... :D I'm not trying to mislead anyone and I didn't miss anything in your post. I did compare the FE 28-70mm to a MFT lens and I also pointed out the problem I was having finding a similar Canon FF lens, did you miss those bits? You do seem to be on a bit of a Crusade over this as you've posted very similar things in multiple threads and it's difficult for me to understand your view.

As an owner or both MFT and A7 kit and a previous owner of Canon DSLR's I'm in a good position to say how I see the benefits and drawbacks of each system and in my own opinion the A7 does still represent a saving in bulk and weight over a DSLR. To say that Sony FE lenses are huge, as you seem to have repeatedly done lately, is IMVHO a bit harsh. Just a bit.

Yes a MFT system is sometimes and even usually smaller than a DSLR system and it's usually smaller than a A7 system too but not always. Remember the comparison to the relatively large GH3/4? Remember the pictures I posted of my 5D, G1 and A7 side by side or is all that conveniently forgotten?

My A7 when fitted with an adapter and manual lens represents a significant bulk and weight saving over my 5D and a similar lens and IMVHO competes more with MFT (DSLR shape) and a similar lens than with the 5D, size and weight wise. I have little doubt that an A7 fitted with a 28, 55 or 85mm AF lens will also represent a significant size and weight saving over a 5D and comparable lens. Even an A7 with a long zoom will represent some saving in bulk and weight over a 5D and similar lens but in this case the savings will be much less significant, perhaps even not significant.

I'm tired of going through this with you and I'm not going to do so again after this but as a final thought I'd ask people to engage their brains before trotting out the hyperbole and perhaps look at the facts and figures and God forbid - handle the kit and then make an informed judgement of what's significant or not for them.

Just my VHO. Over and out.

Last edited:
Because of the size of the sensor.
Yes exactly which defeats the objects of being a compact system.

There are ff primes around that are more compact. I don't know the physics but does the flange distance effect the size?

Last edited:
To say that Sony FE lenses are huge, as you seem to have repeatedly done lately, is IMVHO a bit harsh. Just a bit.
Listun veeree carefullee... I shall say zees onlee wuns (more)...

The LONGER (focal lengths covering beyond 100mm) lenses are huge compared to their micro 4/3rds counterparts. You don't use them. You won't see the difference in any pictures you take of your cameras with your lenses on them. That doesn't make my statement untrue though ;)

the X-T1 seems to me to be the best compromise between IQ/Size/Weight and lens choice for my needs

You are right, and the Olympus MFT also fits the bill and is a very nice camera. Even though I know you are right and reached the same conclusion about size/IQ/weight, and came very close to getting one over the past couple of weeks, I bottled it and got the Sony. The thing that kept bugging me was that it was a lot of money to spend on what was basically a sideways move to gain a size and weight advantage while at the same time locking me into a Fuji system that would as expensive again to try to get out of if I changed my mind.

With the Sony I have no idea where I am going - maybe photo nirvana, maybe bankruptcy with all those Zeiss lenses. With it being 35mm equivalent I can get a Nikon adapter and go out with the FM2n and the Sony in the same bag with a couple of lenses and do both film and digital. I have room in a small bag for a MF format film camera and the Sony with the kit lens and it won't all weigh too much. I could get the Leica M adapter, get a Leica lens, and add an M film camera later (which I really fancy). And with the AF adapter I can use all the Sony A lenses and turn it back into a heavyweight DSLR if I fancy.

Maybe I am mad, but the Sony opens up a future of unpredictability that I look forward to... and I miss not using the FM2n which I simply cannot take around with a D7000 in the same bag.

Is this thread a F&C takeover, btw?

Its been an interesting read going through this thread I have to say.

I've been swithering about my D800, I dearly love the image quality but the sheer size and weight when married to a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lens is a lot - (especially when I almost always take the Sigma 100-300 f4 as well!)

I think my problem is that I'd be reluctant to give up the image quality (and maybe the 36 megapixels!) - the Sony line would appear to be the only real option for me, and I think I'd be happy enough with the 24mp of the A7 as I was more than happy with the D600 I had before (save for the oil issues!) - but lack of lenses would worry me a little.

I used to use a 35mm f1.4 (Sigma) almost exclusively but I've been using a 24-70 f2.8 for the last 6 months and really found it to be quite liberating after years of using only primes - but that Sony 35 f2.8 and 55mm look pretty awesome!

I'll think and ponder over my options - reluctant to give up the D800 before I try something alongside...

Its been an interesting read going through this thread I have to say.

I've been swithering about my D800, I dearly love the image quality but the sheer size and weight when married to a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lens is a lot - (especially when I almost always take the Sigma 100-300 f4 as well!)

I think my problem is that I'd be reluctant to give up the image quality (and maybe the 36 megapixels!) - the Sony line would appear to be the only real option for me, and I think I'd be happy enough with the 24mp of the A7 as I was more than happy with the D600 I had before (save for the oil issues!) - but lack of lenses would worry me a little.

I used to use a 35mm f1.4 (Sigma) almost exclusively but I've been using a 24-70 f2.8 for the last 6 months and really found it to be quite liberating after years of using only primes - but that Sony 35 f2.8 and 55mm look pretty awesome!

I'll think and ponder over my options - reluctant to give up the D800 before I try something alongside...

But you're comparing size and weight of a 24-70 and 100-300 vs a 35 and 55 prime? Surely your D800 would be a lot smaller and lighter if you put a 35 and 50mm prime on it.

But you're comparing size and weight of a 24-70 and 100-300 vs a 35 and 55 prime? Surely your D800 would be a lot smaller and lighter if you put a 35 and 50mm prime on it.

Your right Twist and I'll exclude the 100-300 as without going M4/3 theres not an equivalent yet really for the Full Frame NEX or Fuji.

The bulk of the D800 itself isn't going to get smaller and even with say a small 50mm on it its still a big hunk of metal v either an X-T1 or A7

Your right Twist and I'll exclude the 100-300 as without going M4/3 theres not an equivalent yet really for the Full Frame NEX or Fuji.

The bulk of the D800 itself isn't going to get smaller and even with say a small 50mm on it its still a big hunk of metal v either an X-T1 or A7

That it is, Ive owned all 3. Currently enjoying the X-T1.

Have read this with interest as am toying with the idea of the Fuji, again mainly for landscapes,

Well, it would appear that I have now got enough cash to go ahead and get the X-T1... quite excited now. :banana:

Well, it would appear that I have now got enough cash to go ahead and get the X-T1... quite excited now. :banana:
Lucky you - its a nice looking camera.

If it was out when i was looking round last summer it may have tempted me.

Nice one, but with the lens cash-back offers you'd be a bit nuts not to buy two lenses. But which two? While trying to work it out the guy in white with the harp and halo on one shoulder says 18-55mm and 55-200mm. Red guy on the other shoulder with horns, forked tail and a trident says get a prime and some zoom. Couldn't make my mind up so got the Sony. Didn't help, even more choices, but I do know one thing - one of those Zeiss primes will be mine before crimble.

Nice one, but with the lens cash-back offers you'd be a bit nuts not to buy two lenses.
I think that deal finished yesterday?

I'm currently looking to upgrade my ageing micro 4/3rds system and the X-T1 and A7 are top of my list so I've found this an interesting thread to read. The only thing that's stopped me making a decision is reading the specs of the NX1 which is intriguing me so I'm waiting until I've seen some reviews of how it performs before getting my wallet out.

Cool, I'm just buying the body new, the lens will be second hand, so I can get the £100 cashback and put that toward another lens nearer to Christmas.

without reading back through this all, did you consider the xe-2? I spent about an hour or so dithering in the shop a couple of weeks ago and came to the decision that the xt-1 didnt offer enough bells and whistles over the xe-2 to justify the price gap, so got the xe-2 and 23mm 1.4 with the £200 cashback then it was a good deal.

The £300 for 2 seems pretty good now! will have to search down the back of the sofa.

Still dont know what to do with all my D800 gear, i might be going back to do some studio shoots and i would miss it for those.

Oh yes, I spent many an hour agonising over which one to get. In the end I went into Calumet in Manchester and had a good old play with both (and an X-Pro1) with numerous lenses and when it came down to it the I fell for the X-T1. It just felt right. I think my main issue with the X-E2 was the viewfinder being on the left and I'm a left eye shooter so my nose was forever pushing buttons and dribbling on the screen whereas the X-T1 removes at least some of that by having the viewfinder nearer the middle.

Andy

Last time they offered £300 off for two lenses I bagged the 14mm and the 27mm pancake (effectively getting the latter for free), the new list doesn't include the 27mm (or the 18mm), so you really have to buy 3 lenses to get a free one!!! (Maybe one for the GAS thread!!, I'm safe though as I have all the lenses I want, Fuji is making it easy for me by making the lenses bigger and bigger, I bought into the X series as I wanted a Compact Camera System, these new lenses are getting to DSLR size!!!)

Last time they offered £300 off for two lenses I bagged the 14mm and the 27mm pancake (effectively getting the latter for free), the new list doesn't include the 27mm (or the 18mm), so you really have to buy 3 lenses to get a free one!!! (Maybe one for the GAS thread!!, I'm safe though as I have all the lenses I want, Fuji is making it easy for me by making the lenses bigger and bigger, I bought into the X series as I wanted a Compact Camera System, these new lenses are getting to DSLR size!!!)

2 choices there really, same quality smaller lenses = more money, smaller lenses = lower quality.

Smaller lenses doesn't have to mean = lower quality (the 27mm pancake produces some great sharp images), its the obsession with very wide apertures that isn't helping, a nifty fifty on a Canon or a Nikon, is a small lens at f1.8, and yes it grows in size with wide apertures, but the nifty fifty is a very good quality lens (and even more so given the price), a X-mount 50mm f1.4 or a 35mm f2, would not be large lenses, and for most 50/35 applications be a great lens.

The current increasing size of lenses, mean that to me the Fuji System is becoming less and less compact, but that doesn't stop me being a fan, it just stops unnecessary GAS!!!

Smaller lenses doesn't have to mean = lower quality (the 27mm pancake produces some great sharp images), its the obsession with very wide apertures that isn't helping, a nifty fifty on a Canon or a Nikon, is a small lens at f1.8, and yes it grows in size with wide apertures, but the nifty fifty is a very good quality lens (and even more so given the price), a X-mount 50mm f1.4 or a 35mm f2, would not be large lenses, and for most 50/35 applications be a great lens.

The current increasing size of lenses, mean that to me the Fuji System is becoming less and less compact, but that doesn't stop me being a fan, it just stops unnecessary GAS!!!

No, the nifty fifty is not a very good example, its fairly sharp but its a poor lens otherwise. Its not difficult to figure out how large a 50 1.4 or 35 f2 would be, just look at other manufacturers lenses. Take for example Canons 50 1.4, its fairly small but then look at Sigmas 50 1.4 which is far superior in every way except size, its very large for the same aperture. Fuji is designing high quality optics so they are larger.

Im sure Fuji could develop a line of cheap and slightly smaller XC lenses, but thats a waste of their R&D funds and their whole 'thing' is high quality lenses at reasonable prices which is why most buy into the Fuji system.

I'll stick with not being most people then......:D

I do agree with you in thinking they could/perhaps should develop a line of XC prime lenses but it seems all their money is going to high end stuff. Probably to get more of the DSLR market. For me there was a lot of small camera choice but what stood out was the lenses.

OK, just in case anyone is interested the X-T1 is now bought and will be here on Thursday :banana:

I had a little play with one at the weekend with the 18-55mm (which I'm also getting) and I am very impressed with the quality of both. Especially impressed with the autofocus speed of the lens.

Andy

OK, just in case anyone is interested the X-T1 is now bought and will be here on Thursday :banana:

I had a little play with one at the weekend with the 18-55mm (which I'm also getting) and I am very impressed with the quality of both. Especially impressed with the autofocus speed of the lens.

Andy

So basically that's a half frame camera like the Pentax 110, Andy?:exit:

So basically that's a half frame camera like the Pentax 110, Andy?:exit:

Yes, I like small things... it makes me feel like a giant.....

Back